BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

05-02-2019, 11:39 PM   #45
Meehow
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 F15 X5 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by markslc1 View Post
So I'd like to start with the transfer case oil change. The change seems easy enough. But the resetting of adaptations would require some coding I believe. What is the most cost effective way to do that ? Carly?
I had it done at the dealer $250. You can also try to DIY but will need ISTA+. and a access to a lift or a fluid transfer pump.

I love the experts on here saying it's coils/plugs. It's not. Coils/plugs throw codes, clearly you're not seeing any codes, so can we stop with the sensless dumb responses "ugh, sounds like it's the plugs" ....
Appreciate 2
markslc1183.00
      05-03-2019, 12:42 AM   #46
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meehow View Post
I had it done at the dealer $250. You can also try to DIY but will need ISTA+. and a access to a lift or a fluid transfer pump.

I love the experts on here saying it's coils/plugs. It's not. Coils/plugs throw codes, clearly you're not seeing any codes, so can we stop with the sensless dumb responses "ugh, sounds like it's the plugs" ....
I started this thread. Did you not see that bad plugs was the cause of my issue? And I never had any codes.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 02:39 PM   #47
markslc1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M, 14 X5 x35i

I appreciate all the feedback thus far. My plan thus far is to..

A) Unplug the transfer case and go for a drive to see if it fixes the problem
B) Replace the transfer case fluid (either way). Seems like good preventative maintenance.
C) Move on to spark plugs if the issue persists.

My two main challenges with this plan are 1) learning how to use ista software for the reset 2) getting the proper angled tool to do the fluid extraction. I'll take any pointers if you got em.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 05:10 PM   #48
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

There is a drain plug on the transfer case
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 08:10 PM   #49
Meehow
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
I started this thread. Did you not see that bad plugs was the cause of my issue? And I never had any codes.
I'll go out on a limb and say what you didn't have is a check engine light, I'm sure you had codes. ISTA allows proper diagnosis of misfires, and would have pinpointed the offending coil/plug.

Just saying, swapping things out without really taking a deeper look is costly and frankly, just plain dumb. (I've been there and done that, myself)
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 08:14 PM   #50
Meehow
Private
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate all the feedback thus far. My plan thus far is to..

A) Unplug the transfer case and go for a drive to see if it fixes the problem
B) Replace the transfer case fluid (either way). Seems like good preventative maintenance.
C) Move on to spark plugs if the issue persists.

My two main challenges with this plan are 1) learning how to use ista software for the reset 2) getting the proper angled tool to do the fluid extraction. I'll take any pointers if you got em.

Thanks.
Plan sounds solid.

Verifying the issue is key. You can try to pull fuses as well, which is a whole lot easier - but need to verify which one is for the transfer case. (X5's have a fuse box in the front and back)

If you change the fluid yourself I hope you have access to a lift, otherwise it's ugly.
You can start by reading here:
Tis Repair Manual

Keep in mind you still need to do a transfer case adaptation after the fluid change, otherwise I suspect the issue will persist.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 04:02 PM   #51
markslc1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Keep in mind you still need to do a transfer case adaptation after the fluid change, otherwise I suspect the issue will persist.
Yep. In the process of downloading ISTA and getting the proper cable. Still not finding any f15 specific videos of the reset process. Mostly e70 content out there. I wonder if the process is roughly the same.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 05:07 PM   #52
Meehow
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yep. In the process of downloading ISTA and getting the proper cable. Still not finding any f15 specific videos of the reset process. Mostly e70 content out there. I wonder if the process is roughly the same.
ISTA walks you through the process, should be the same.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 02:39 PM   #53
markslc1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Project complete. New transfer case fluid in, adaptations reset, and the result is.... a whole new driving experience! No more jerky acceleration and only smooth shifting up through the gears without hesitation. This fixed my problem entirely! Given the condition of the transfer case oil looked pretty decent (not dark), I didn't expect the transformation. Thanks MeeHow for pointing me in the right direction.

Note: 2014 xdrive35i with 38k miles
Appreciate 2
      06-04-2019, 08:01 PM   #54
Meehow
Private
Rep

But what about the plugs....
Glad I could help. I'm going to do mine again after about 40k. I can't believe this is not a regular service item.

Quote:
Project complete. New transfer case fluid in, adaptations reset, and the result is.... a whole new driving experience! No more jerky acceleration and only smooth shifting up through the gears without hesitation. This fixed my problem entirely! Given the condition of the transfer case oil looked pretty decent (not dark), I didn't expect the transformation. Thanks MeeHow for pointing me in the right direction.

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 01:41 AM   #55
Muzza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 x50

Quote:

Could one run adaptation without changing the oil? If the jerkiness goes away after the adaptation then it’s clearly the issue; oil can be changed and adaptation run again from there.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 08:51 PM   #56
Meehow
Private
Rep

The issue lies with the fluid and how much friction it provides to the wet clutch in the transfer case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzza View Post
Could one run adaptation without changing the oil? If the jerkiness goes away after the adaptation then it’s clearly the issue; oil can be changed and adaptation run again from there.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 12:10 AM   #57
markslc1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The issue lies with the fluid and how much friction it provides to the wet clutch in the transfer case.

Quote:
Once I figured everything out with tools and software, it's not a bad job. ISTA is kind of a pain to get the right links and instructions. I'm tempted to create a video on the whole process since there isn't much out there for the f15.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 12:26 AM   #58
Muzza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 x50

Quote:
Sure, but isn’t the point of the adaptation to cater for the level of slip? Therefore adapting to the oil already in the transfer case to sort itself out?

Sorry, no idea - quest for knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 03:02 PM   #59
Meehow
Private
Rep

Right, but then you run the risk of clutches wearing out prematurely. It's not that expensive.

Quote:
Sure, but isn’t the point of the adaptation to cater for the level of slip? Therefore adapting to the oil already in the transfer case to sort itself out?

Sorry, no idea - quest for knowledge.
Appreciate 1
Muzza55.50
      06-07-2019, 03:03 PM   #60
Meehow
Private
Rep

I just installed a downpipe on my car over the weekend. Same thing, zero DYI or instructions out there.
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 09:58 AM   #61
craneguy2013
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 x35i m-Sport

Quote:

Just took my 2017 xdrive35i with 37k miles into the dealership with the same problems, jerking in 3rd and 4th gear. Mechanics seem to think it's the plugs so fingers crossed its something similar. Just changed tires to Michelin pilot as3 non run flats. Just wondering if that could be what caused the issue I'm having?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 10:10 AM   #62
markslc1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by craneguy2013 View Post
Quote:

Just took my 2017 xdrive35i with 37k miles into the dealership with the same problems, jerking in 3rd and 4th gear. Mechanics seem to think it's the plugs so fingers crossed its something similar. Just changed tires to Michelin pilot as3 non run flats. Just wondering if that could be what caused the issue I'm having?
If you aren't getting any codes, transfer case fluid and reset is the place to start. Plugs and coils normally produce a code. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 05:54 PM   #63
craneguy2013
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 x35i m-Sport

Quote:
If you aren't getting any codes, transfer case fluid and reset is the place to start. Plugs and coils normally produce a code. Good luck.
So after two weeks at the dealership, replaced all plugs and coils. Even though I told them it might be the transfer case. Needless to say they replaced the transfer case because it was "defective".
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 08:22 AM   #64
BimmerTy
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15 X5 50i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by craneguy2013 View Post
So after two weeks at the dealership, replaced all plugs and coils. Even though I told them it might be the transfer case. Needless to say they replaced the transfer case because it was "defective".
Is it fixed?
2015 F15 X5 xDrive50i - M Sport - Space Grey Metallic - 21" 612M - Accelera Iota ST68's - Black Dakota - Leather Dash - Poplar Wood - Ceramic - Shawdowline - Anthracite - Adaptive M - Full LED - Executive - DA+ - Surround - HUD - Enhanced BT - Soft Close - B&O - ACC Stop & Go - Multi Contour - 4 Zone Climate - Comfort Seats - Cold Weather - Muffler Delete - Akrapovic Tips - F85 Grille - 35% Tint - BMW All Weather Mats -- Missing DHP, NV, Active Steering, Rear Entertainment, & Cooled Seats
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 09:41 AM   #65
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.47 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
i was hoping not to have to relearn all this coding stuff again.
but i think i'll change my sparkplugs again to rule them out, since i changed them not too long ago.
and then i'll change the transfer case fluid.

i drove the x5 hard tonight, and this got worse when she was hot. then later when i drove it again, it drove mostly fine, though it did stumble twice while i was backing out of the garage, foot on brake. so maybe it is a misfire...
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvav View Post
I would think that you'd get a CEL if it was a misfire.

As Alvav said if there was a misfire it will throw a cel.
Actually I was getting a rough idle and the engine was shaking and the 40e x5 never threw an engine light. Turned out the engine was bad and needed a replacement.

When reading the codes yes it was stored as cylinder 1 misfire but no engine light.

Strange I know.

Also my transfer case went bad on my e70 but was only really present when turning, the shop Forman said to do the infinity symbol in the parking lot and also in reverse and she jumped around quite badly.
Bingo! transfer case.

Going in a straight line it drove normally.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 05:05 PM   #66
JWK170
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 X35I

Well I’m just at 26k miles. Noticed some jerking recently when mid to hard acceleration.

Have seen a lot of comments ranging from plugs/coils to transfer case issues or just the need to change the fluid and reset.

Currently running a JB4 and used the recommended NGK plugs 95770. They only give a 15-20k lifespan which I just hit so I need to replace those anyways. Unfortunately they are on a national backorder so I will have to go with the next step colder. I’m not getting any CEL codes although I’ve read they don’t always show.

Also will check to tread ware to make sure none are way off from the rest.

My last cheap option is to do the transfer case fluid option and reset to see if that does the fix.

Both seem to be the cheapest options and are good preventive maintenance anyways.

Any other suggestions on what it could be or methods to diagnose?
Appreciate 0