BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-17-2019, 08:54 AM   #1
flexfusion
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15

Tire Question

I ordered my F15 with a space saver tire which fortunately I have never used. My tires have about 24k on them and are at 6/32" of tread left. I was looking on Tire Rack and Pirelli offers a non run flat in the Scorpion Verde tire that came on my X5. I like the tires and have had great service. I was thinking why not go for a better ride and order the non run flat version of this tire? I would appreciate comments on my dilemma
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 10:03 AM   #2
yewlock
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

If you do a search on the forum, you will find that most of the OP switch to non run flat. They like it and no regret.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 12:25 PM   #3
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

You have the spare so ditch RFT. Regular tires are cheaper, lighter, quieter, last longer and will probably give you slightly better MPG.
Appreciate 1
eeyuu24.50
      07-18-2019, 02:03 AM   #4
bavautosport
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i xDrive (M Sport)

Garage List
2021 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexfusion View Post
I ordered my F15 with a space saver tire which fortunately I have never used. My tires have about 24k on them and are at 6/32" of tread left. I was looking on Tire Rack and Pirelli offers a non run flat in the Scorpion Verde tire that came on my X5. I like the tires and have had great service. I was thinking why not go for a better ride and order the non run flat version of this tire? I would appreciate comments on my dilemma
I was in the same boat when my original RFs reached the end of their lives after a mere 22k miles. I went with a set of non-RF 255/50/R19 Yokohama YK760 GTX on 467m. Ordered and installed at Discount Tire shop for around $970 all in and it comes with a $70 rebate for a set of four tires. Not a performance AS by any means since it's a family car where comfort and quietness come first for my family. I've always been a Michelin guy who ran several sets from touring to sport AS non-RFs but I've come to like the Yoko set more and more each day I drive my F15. The ride is night and day different from the original Michelin RFs. I also ordered a spare from bimmerworld with free 2-day shipping to my zip code. Good luck with your search and let us know what you end up buying.
      07-18-2019, 10:18 AM   #5
flexfusion
Private
Rep

Appreciate y'all comments and suggestions, and have decided to go the non run flat route and will most likely stay with Pirelli Scorpion Verde they have been the best RF of all the six BMW's I've owned.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 11:58 AM   #6
ComasF15
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver

I'm wondering why the safety aspect of the RF are undervalued.

Say wife gets a flat, no stopping in an unsafe place like narrow berm or bridge day or night. It's lass than 50 mile home plus errand mile so day is uninterrupted. The small spares have limited range to, don't they? When she gets home I can R&R the wheel an have it fixed at my convenience.

I know that most places don't stock the RF's, however, being retired nearly everything can be rescheduled.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 12:56 PM   #7
Florida-X3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 x30i / '12 Infiniti M37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComasF15 View Post
I'm wondering why the safety aspect of the RF are undervalued.

Say wife gets a flat, no stopping in an unsafe place like narrow berm or bridge day or night. It's lass than 50 mile home plus errand mile so day is uninterrupted. The small spares have limited range to, don't they? When she gets home I can R&R the wheel an have it fixed at my convenience.

I know that most places don't stock the RF's, however, being retired nearly everything can be rescheduled.
So I had a different thought process a year or so ago when the Hurricane Irma came through. I decided at the last minute to leave town as the path had just shifted. Plan was to drive from FL to NC as my wife was already there at her parents house for other reasons. So here I'm driving with a few other hundred thousand people (and two dogs) and when you cut over from west to east across FL, it's pretty barren and rural. So just about everything is closed and I'm thinking, what if I get a flat on the RF? Yes, it's good for 50 miles or so but then what, what are the odds of finding a shop open and have the tire I need? If I had the small spare I could probably limp along a lot further.

Now I realize you can punch holes in that scenario as well but frankly, that (and running out of gas) was what I was most concerned with. To date, I still have the RF's but thinking of converting when tires are due.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 05:17 PM   #8
ComasF15
Private First Class
Rep

^^^^
That's a good point.

Another option is to simply buy a spare run flat an put it in the well. If you buy the whole spare kit with jack etc., then you covered the cost of a spare tire. Call AAA and have them tow you to a tire place. Maybe just a plug kit would get it done?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 07:07 PM   #9
Florida-X3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 x30i / '12 Infiniti M37

Quote:
^^^^
That's a good point.

Another option is to simply buy a spare run flat an put it in the well. If you buy the whole spare kit with jack etc., then you covered the cost of a spare tire. Call AAA and have them tow you to a tire place. Maybe just a plug kit would get it done?
From a pure redundancy point, keep the RF's, get the spare kit as well. Ride on the "flat" RF as long as you can, if no new tire options present itself, put the donut on and keep rolling.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2019, 09:14 AM   #10
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
I had four run flat tires while on a long trip, sufferer a side wall blowout (due to debris I couldn’t see at 3 am) in the middle of nowhere (literally). No cell reception. I called AAA on a sat phone; they couldn’t help much. I drove 300 miles on the spare donut to find a shop that had that tire I needed in stock. No shop wanted to touch my “fancy” run flat tires.
      07-20-2019, 03:53 AM   #11
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
I had four run flat tires while on a long trip, sufferer a side wall blowout (due to debris I couldn't see at 3 am) in the middle of nowhere (literally). No cell reception. I called AAA on a sat phone; they couldn't help much. I drove 300 miles on the spare donut to find a shop that had that tire I needed in stock. No shop wanted to touch my "fancy" run flat tires.
This scenario shows the wisdom to always carry a donut spare whatever tires you use.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 10:15 AM   #12
ComasF15
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajob View Post
Quote:
I had four run flat tires while on a long trip, sufferer a side wall blowout (due to debris I couldn't see at 3 am) in the middle of nowhere (literally). No cell reception. I called AAA on a sat phone; they couldn't help much. I drove 300 miles on the spare donut to find a shop that had that tire I needed in stock. No shop wanted to touch my "fancy" run flat tires.
This scenario shows the wisdom to always carry a donut spare whatever tires you use.
Unfortunately the donut isn't enough. Jack, lug wrench and maybe a jack pad too.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 01:30 PM   #13
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Quote:
Unfortunately the donut isn't enough. Jack, lug wrench and maybe a jack pad too.
Got a small 6-ton bottle jack (4-ton jacks do not extend high enough on level ground let alone on dirt or other soft surfaces). Fits in the left side cubby. For lug wrench, I use a breaker bar and socket attachment. Finally for jackpad I got an aluminum one on Amazon. I also carry a mobility kit and a set of tire plugs. I also have 2 hours worth of flares and a warning triangle.
      07-20-2019, 04:24 PM   #14
ComasF15
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Got a small 6-ton bottle jack (4-ton jacks do not extend high enough on level ground let alone on dirt or other soft surfaces). Fits in the left side cubby. For lug wrench, I use a breaker bar and socket attachment. Finally for jackpad I got an aluminum one on Amazon. I also carry a mobility kit and a set of tire plugs. I also have 2 hours worth of flares and a warning triangle.
Smart! That's the way I've got the R1200GS set up. Except for the jack and flares.

That far from help you have to control your own destiny.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 02:01 PM   #15
flexfusion
Private
Rep

On your next BMW X5 order the car with a "space saver" tire.....I think for $150.00 and relax! The last two X5's I had they were ordered that way.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 08:14 AM   #16
Keithwand
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 replaced 16 X5 6/22

Just ditched the Dunlop RF yesterday at 28k miles. Noisy, hard etc.
Went Contis Extreme Contact DWS and wow!
Quiet and smooth.
Steering evens feels lighter.
Very happy.
Already carry a slime compressor kit and plug kit too.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 07:22 PM   #17
ScottC25
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition xDrive

If you go from RFs to non RFs, do you need to replace all 4 at once? My rears need replacing, but fronts still have plenty of life in them yet?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 07:55 AM   #18
Keithwand
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 replaced 16 X5 6/22

I did all four. Best to ask a tire store.
Like others cannot believe the difference.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 02:54 PM   #19
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC25 View Post
If you go from RFs to non RFs, do you need to replace all 4 at once? My rears need replacing, but fronts still have plenty of life in them yet?
you should and it would be recommended to ensure equal and adequate tread grip. Shouldn't mix and match tires.
      09-07-2019, 02:48 AM   #20
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC25 View Post
Always best to replace all 4 at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 07:11 PM   #21
dvtrn
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 (F15)

In the same boat here. tires wearing down and debating swapping to non-run flats. live here in minnesota winters. can anybody recommend a good set of all season tires and approximate cost?

dont have the space or time for swapping winter tires only so need some good all seasons for winter.

thanks for any help.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 09:16 AM   #22
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvtrn View Post
In the same boat here. tires wearing down and debating swapping to non-run flats. live here in minnesota winters. can anybody recommend a good set of all season tires and approximate cost?

dont have the space or time for swapping winter tires only so need some good all seasons for winter.

thanks for any help.
I ditched my RFs about 10K miles after I got my F15 new, and have never regretted it.

I'm a fan of Nokian tires. I've owned about a dozen sets, and been very satisfied. Their WR G4 is an "all weather" tire, meaning it's designed a bit towards the "winter" end of the tire spectrum. If you'd rather give up a bit of winter grip in exchange for better summer handling and somewhat less noise, the zLine is a good choice. I'm currently running zLines. Quiet, nice ride, great handling, and they're a tire that could be used year-round without fear.

Hope that helps!