BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-09-2019, 01:41 PM   #23
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Garage List
I try to stay out of these discussions as it usually turns into a pissing match about each others opinions.....

Here are a few observations I've made over the past few decades dealing with run flat tires.

Yes, there is nothing as convenient as being able to continue driving when you have a low/flat tire. Once you do drive on that tire you are going to need to replace it as it usually damages the tire. Look inside a tire that's been driven flat and you'll see what I mean. If you have a sidewall puncture you were gonna have to replace it anyways, so it's a moot point.

If you are out on the road (away from home) you may not be able to find a run flat in stock and will be somewhat stranded. I've seen a few creative solutions....

With non run flats, I carry a plug patch kit in my car to allow me do a road side repair. You can do this with run flats as well.

TPMS will report on a tire as it gets low allowing you the opportunity to fix the leak. If this happens at home I can pull the tire and put a patch/plug from the inside. Anything on the road requires a plug. I recognize the patch/plug is preferred over the plug, but I've driven many times on plugged tires. Most of you have as well. Some may not even know it.

Now, with a sidewall puncture or running over something that damages a tire past being able to put a plug in it, you're screwed and that's where a spare comes into play.

All of this goes out the window if you are not capable (or willing) of doing these repairs. Or if your wife is just gonna keep driving regardless.

The ride quality, performance and cost of non run flats is light years ahead of run flats. Any one of those by itself is worth the change. All three combined, it's a no brainer. At least in my opinion. You are trading those three (and more) for the convenience of being able to keep driving on a low/flat tire. That, and not having to drag a spare and related equipment around for hundreds of thousands of miles.

This is just one mans opinion..... and you are all entitled to yours. If you are someone that's new to all this, it may help you with your decision.
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2019, 11:00 AM   #24
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
There's also an acceleration benefit to non-RFs. Depending on your wheel and tire setup, you might drop 30 pounds or more for the four wheels. That's rotating weight, which takes more energy to accelerate. It won't shave a whole second off your 0-60 time, but it might be noticeable. And "noticeable" is what we're after.
      09-12-2019, 03:12 PM   #25
dvtrn
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 (F15)

Thank you. If sticking with run flats, can anybody recommend a good set of tires for minnesota - so all season but lean more towards snow capabilities? trying to decide between the pirelli, michelin (expensive), bridgstone duelers, conti's. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 11:49 PM   #26
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvtrn View Post
Thank you. If sticking with run flats, can anybody recommend a good set of tires for minnesota - so all season but lean more towards snow capabilities? trying to decide between the pirelli, michelin (expensive), bridgstone duelers, conti's. thanks!
Here's a pretty informative tire thread.
      09-13-2019, 08:59 AM   #27
Keithwand
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 replaced 16 X5 6/22

Florida S Drive spending the winter in Michigan. Just put on Conti DWS 06.
Grew up driving rear drive bias ply tires so not worried.
According to Listing all cars. com mine is the only S Drive in Michigan. No kidding.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 09:20 AM   #28
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithwand View Post
Florida S Drive spending the winter in Michigan. Just put on Conti DWS 06.
Grew up driving rear drive bias ply tires so not worried.
According to Listing all cars. com mine is the only S Drive in Michigan. No kidding.
You'll be fine. Good tires + good driver + RWD > crap tires + crappy driver + AWD.

Last edited by pennsiveguy; 09-13-2019 at 12:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 12:47 PM   #29
david_594
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmr View Post
With non run flats, I carry a plug patch kit in my car to allow me do a road side repair. You can do this with run flats as well.

TPMS will report on a tire as it gets low allowing you the opportunity to fix the leak. If this happens at home I can pull the tire and put a patch/plug from the inside. Anything on the road requires a plug. I recognize the patch/plug is preferred over the plug, but I've driven many times on plugged tires. Most of you have as well. Some may not even know it.

I agree with this mentality. My all season tires currently are run flats and I don't currently have a spare(nor space for one with the e-drive). I do have pliars and a plug kit in the trunk and a small compressor and can of fix-a-flat just in case. If the TPMS gives a low tire alert I can get off the road safely and figure out the situation. If there is a nail I can pull it, plug it, refill with air to get on my way. If its a slow leak I can refill and limp to a place for a real repair. Or if I'm going to trash the tire going 50 miles without pressure to get to a repair place then a can of fix-a-flat likely wont hurt.

My winter tires are not run flats though so I will likely be keeping a temp spare or one of my summer tires in the trunk just in case.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 02:46 PM   #30
EdgyE36
Wisdom Searcher
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 and E46 M3

What are brand new Pirellis Summer RFTs worth?

Quote:
Just ditched the Dunlop RF yesterday at 28k miles. Noisy, hard etc.
Went Contis Extreme Contact DWS and wow!
Quiet and smooth.
Steering evens feels lighter.
Very happy.
Already carry a slime compressor kit and plug kit too.

Glad to read this, my plan as well. Just picked 2016 CPO M Trim with four brand new Pirelli summer RFTs. Nice, but what about winter? Thinking is have excellent local shop pull them off, putting on Continental DWS 06s and selling the Pirellis to cover all/most of the cost. Have had the Contis before and plenty good enough for my wife, who is totally on board after I told her current tires not safe under 40 degrees.

How much can I get for brand new Pirellis private party? New from TR they are $1,450 or so. Planning on getting spare, from either ECS or GetBMWparts. Thanks.