09-03-2019, 03:06 PM   #1
Chile1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5M & 2018 JLUR

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 ///M  [10.00]
Battery life

is the battery covered under the BMW full factory warranty? my battery looks like it will need to be replaced and the dealer indicated that it may not be covered under the factory warranty? Is that correct?

"BMW El Placer de Conducir"
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 10:07 PM   #2
HJ
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F16 X6 CLS63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile1 View Post
is the battery covered under the BMW full factory warranty? my battery looks like it will need to be replaced and the dealer indicated that it may not be covered under the factory warranty? Is that correct?
Might be one of those goodwill replacements because my battery was replaced under warranty when I went in for an oil change had no idea it was going bad, try another dealer maybe.
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2019, 11:15 PM   #3
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ View Post
Quote:
Might be one of those goodwill replacements because my battery was replaced under warranty when I went in for an oil change had no idea it was going bad, try another dealer maybe.
Mine was replaced as well during an oil change. I believe the secondary battery was replaced because of a recall.
Appreciate 1
HJ478.00
      09-03-2019, 11:20 PM   #4
Chile1
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Thank you both for the feedback. I seemed to remember having the battery on my F15 X5M replaced while the car was still under factory warranty. Not sure why this service advisor is telling me that it may not be covered.

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 10:44 AM   #5
pachieh
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 X5M

If it's not under recall (which mine were), then your maintenance plan should cover it if you have one.

It's a regular consumable like oil and filters. If it's not under what I mentioned above and there's nothing wrong with it besides being old, than warranty won't cover it. Be prepared to pay for it.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 12:25 PM   #6
ekological
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5

Isn't there something about the F15s that BMW acknowledged have reduced battery life because of the hot V and the need to have the fan blow for an extended amount of time after the car is shut off? Many short trips will drain the battery very low; thus, shortening its life. BMW has since said the replacement interval of the battery is at every oil change. Derp.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 09:35 PM   #7
Chile1
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekological View Post
Isn't there something about the F15s that BMW acknowledged have reduced battery life because of the hot V and the need to have the fan blow for an extended amount of time after the car is shut off? Many short trips will drain the battery very low; thus, shortening its life. BMW has since said the replacement interval of the battery is at every oil change. Derp.
Mine is an F85.

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 10:02 AM   #8
ekological
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Mine is an F85.
The premise is the same with the turbos in the middle of the V, requiring extended fan cooling. The extra heat also prematurely hardens the valve seals, resulting in increased oil consumption. Only BMW has acknowledged it for the F15, but I would imagine the same issue to affect the S63.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 05:56 PM   #9
pachieh
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Never heard of changing the batteries at every oil change. I've had three oil changes and that's never come up. Is there a new SIB outside of the warranty one?

Remember batteries are meant to discharge to a point. The fans running after will drain them some, but they shut off when they hit a temp and certain battery level to ensure that you don't have a dead car. Plus, the alternator recharges the batteries every time you start the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 07:25 PM   #10
ekological
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachieh View Post
Never heard of changing the batteries at every oil change. I've had three oil changes and that's never come up. Is there a new SIB outside of the warranty one?

Remember batteries are meant to discharge to a point. The fans running after will drain them some, but they shut off when they hit a temp and certain battery level to ensure that you don't have a dead car. Plus, the alternator recharges the batteries every time you start the car.
If you make many short trips, the battery might not be charged enough between running the cooling fan after shutdown. Sure, if your trips are long enough, you don't have to worry about it. Otherwise, if you want to stretch out the life of your battery, you might consider a battery tender.

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...on-settlement/

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1125808

I remember BMW had a similar battery drain issue with one of the 7 series (not sure if it was limited to that) where the alternator is on a clutch and only cycled on under certain circumstances. This was done to decrease parasitic drain and "increase efficiency" Released into the real world, they had complaints of batteries dying prematurely because they weren't getting topped off. They couldn't just reprogram the computer to have the alternator charge more often because that would impact their fuel ratings and lead to litigation for selling a car that doesn't meet the advertised numbers (hello VW!) So? They recommend battery replacement at every oil change.

I don't see how the S63 situation is any different than the N63.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 07:51 PM   #11
pachieh
Captain
Rep

Hmmm, not sure then. Only thing I can fathom is that while the N63 and S63 share the same heart, there's enough of a difference in the ECUs, tuning, and 1,000,000 other electrical gizmos that they don't have as many battery problems as the N63.

I had my battery replaced under warranty, otherwise none since 5k miles.
Appreciate 0