BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-13-2019, 07:29 AM   #1
travellingkiwi
Rep
Drives: f15 e87 fireblade

Question Bimmercode with ENET Adapter

I have an ENET adapter (Brand new from Amazon). It came with esys software, but I thought I'd try it via Bimmercode first (On my iPhone)

A lightning to ethernet adapter was purchased... And I plug my phone into the cable, following the howto on bimmercode.app website.

Turn off BT, enable airplane mode, etc. Car is 'on' but engine not running.

I eventually get an IP (Self assigned /24) when DHCP times out. But then after trying to connect, bimmercode just tells me it got disconnected.

Did I miss something? Presumably it does work on the self assigned address? (There's nothing in the bimmercode instructions saying it needs a static)

TIA
H
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 08:33 AM   #2
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by travellingkiwi View Post
I have an ENET adapter (Brand new from Amazon). It came with esys software, but I thought I'd try it via Bimmercode first (On my iPhone)

A lightning to ethernet adapter was purchased... And I plug my phone into the cable, following the howto on bimmercode.app website.

I eventually get an IP (Self assigned /24) when DHCP times out. But then after trying to connect, bimmercode just tells me it got disconnected.

Did I miss something? Presumably it does work on the self assigned address? (There's nothing in the bimmercode instructions saying it needs a static)

TIA
H
Not sure that this is the issue you're up against, but I use a MacBook Pro for work and many of the off-brand (non-Apple) adapters I've tried have are flaky and in some cases haven't worked at all - like the USB-C to ethernet adapter I tried. Best bet is to get a genuine Apple adapter. Alternatively, I've had good luck with using Bluetooth through my OBDLink MX+, though it costs a bit more. Best of luck to you. You're going to love being able to really personalize your X.
      09-13-2019, 09:08 AM   #3
travellingkiwi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
Not sure that this is the issue you're up against, but I use a MacBook Pro for work and many of the off-brand (non-Apple) adapters I've tried have are flaky and in some cases haven't worked at all - like the USB-C to ethernet adapter I tried. Best bet is to get a genuine Apple adapter. Alternatively, I've had good luck with using Bluetooth through my OBDLink MX+, though it costs a bit more. Best of luck to you. You're going to love being able to really personalize your X.
Yeah... I don't know where my mac TB-ENET adapter is... So can't use my MBP. I'd use my desktop if I had a spare 15m cable maybe...

Maybe I'll have to wait for my Thinkpad to turn up. But I just got an email from Lenovo giving me the great news that it's held up for unspecified reasons in the factory (Hence wanting to try bimmercode on my iPhone).

Sigh... I wasn't wanting to spend £100 or thereabouts on another ODBII adapter.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 03:46 PM   #4
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:

TIA
H
Why not just get a Bluetooth or WiFi adapter. They're like $20 (brand new on amazon). Also nothing wrong with running the engine while coding. I do it all the time with BimmerCode.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2019, 06:56 AM   #5
travellingkiwi
Rep

Quote:

TIA
H
Turns out that the instructions on bimmercode website for getting it working assume that WiFi is turned off when you enable airplane mode. That's not necessarily true (It doesn't on my phone). Airplane mode on my iPhone-X just toggles the phone signal. Not WiFI or BT.

Manually turning off WiFi as well worked, and it sprang into life.

H
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 08:55 AM   #6
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Turns out that the instructions on bimmercode website for getting it working assume that WiFi is turned off when you enable airplane mode. That's not necessarily true (It doesn't on my phone). Airplane mode on my iPhone-X just toggles the phone signal. Not WiFI or BT.

Manually turning off WiFi as well worked, and it sprang into life.

H