BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-13-2019, 10:12 AM   #1
bp1203
Rep
Drives: 2019 Audi Q5, 2012 Lexus RX

2017 X5 Purchase-Lots of Questions

Hi guys, 2012 Lexus RX owner here. Looking to purchase a 2017 CPO X5 3.5 X-Line package. Love how it rides, really, really nice car.

A few questions for the group:
Car has 25k, will keep 4-5 years (50-60k miles).

1. What is average cost for service? I know MB has Schedule A, B, C...no idea how BMW works or what I should be aware of.

2. Extended warranty: Car would be covered for about 3 years between factory warranty and additional CPO year. I would need an extended for two years-the electronics in these cars scare the hell out of me, especially BMW. Has anyone bought a BMW extended? If so, what should I expect to pay?
***I'm wary of 3rd party warranties, but if anyone has a positive experience with one, please share with me. I live outside of Philadelphia; if anyone has repair shops/dealers they recommend, I'd appreciate the suggestions.

3. Any major issues with these cars? Seem fairly reliable (Consumer Reports), but I want to find out as much as I can before I make a major purchase. Thanks in advance for the responses.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 10:57 AM   #2
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1203 View Post
Hi guys, 2012 Lexus RX owner here. Looking to purchase a 2017 CPO X5 3.5 X-Line package. Love how it rides, really, really nice car.

A few questions for the group:
Car has 25k, will keep 4-5 years (50-60k miles).

1. What is average cost for service? I know MB has Schedule A, B, C...no idea how BMW works or what I should be aware of.

2. Extended warranty: Car would be covered for about 3 years between factory warranty and additional CPO year. I would need an extended for two years-the electronics in these cars scare the hell out of me, especially BMW. Has anyone bought a BMW extended? If so, what should I expect to pay?
***I'm wary of 3rd party warranties, but if anyone has a positive experience with one, please share with me. I live outside of Philadelphia; if anyone has repair shops/dealers they recommend, I'd appreciate the suggestions.

3. Any major issues with these cars? Seem fairly reliable (Consumer Reports), but I want to find out as much as I can before I make a major purchase. Thanks in advance for the responses.

Search works great here, trust me!
Cost of service- hard to justify, are you going to take it to the dealer for service or indy or DIY? Oil change can be $300 or $80.

Extended warranty- just search there are at least 10 threads with prices and different coverage options. A lot of people just skip the extended warranty and hold on to the money. Even the BMW warranty cost varies from dealer to dealer. In my opinion- waste of money,original warranty+CPO is enough.

No major issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 11:26 AM   #3
E90MYKE
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

If you're considering options, I'd suggest the multi-contour seats. They are much better and definitely worth going for. I came from a 750 Li and I don't have the multi-contour seats on my X5. I really miss them.
Appreciate 2
parkstr8562.00
P111541.50
      09-15-2019, 10:51 AM   #4
fraasllc
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw X5

X5 buying questions

We have a 2017 X5 which we picked up at the factory. Only issue we have had is the run-flat tires. YOU CANNOT GET THEM FIXED.... We have already bought 2... will not get run-flats again
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 12:53 PM   #5
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraasllc View Post
We have a 2017 X5 which we picked up at the factory. Only issue we have had is the run-flat tires. YOU CANNOT GET THEM FIXED.... We have already bought 2... will not get run-flats again
You have to avoid the big chain tire stores like discount tire etc. I've had local tire shops repair what the big guys said couldn't be done. They'd rather sell you a new tire.
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2019, 01:39 PM   #6
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraasllc View Post
You have to avoid the big chain tire stores like discount tire etc. I've had local tire shops repair what the big guys said couldn't be done. They'd rather sell you a new tire.
+1 Yep they're no different that the stealer. Just R&R.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 01:59 PM   #7
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
+1 on the above +1

Everyone needs to have a local trusted independent tire shop. Not all runflats are repairable, but, most punctures can be.