BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-15-2019, 10:21 AM   #1
satish1015
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F85 X5M

Catless Downpipes

Hey everyone,

I'm looking into doing catless downpipes. I've been seeing good things about VSRF so I might look into them. I know once you tune it the CEL will go out but someone told me that the car will still not pass NY state inspection because it will still read as the cats are not ready. Anyone know if this is true or not?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 04:35 PM   #2
Rcase
AW M Addict
Rep
Drives: BMW Collector

https://dmv.ny.gov/brochure/what-do-...cars-not-ready

In Texas they allow one "not ready" - I have a tune from Frank Smith (for almost all our collection) - the X5M passed without a single failure (meaning, despite catless tune , it was still "Ready".

I believe it depends on the tuner's approach. On our E70 there was no issue for what its worth.
2010 Alpine White X5M || All 3 Pedals Sans X5M
alpinewhitem.com //coming soon
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 05:59 PM   #3
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

You have a go to a “guy” that will take care of you. Once you turn the car on it’s pretty obvious you don’t have cats. The smell is very pungent
Quote:
Originally Posted by satish1015 View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm looking into doing catless downpipes. I've been seeing good things about VSRF so I might look into them. I know once you tune it the CEL will go out but someone told me that the car will still not pass NY state inspection because it will still read as the cats are not ready. Anyone know if this is true or not?
Appreciate 1
TheVazha685.50
      09-17-2019, 12:19 AM   #4
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
You have a go to a "guy" that will take care of you. Once you turn the car on it's pretty obvious you don't have cats. The smell is very pungent
Quote:
Originally Posted by satish1015 View Post
Hey everyone,

100%.