BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-23-2023, 01:44 AM   #89
hamh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 MSport + VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacgurn View Post
curious if you live in wet area? I have a 2018 X6 Msport Diesel euro version and started a few months back did it 1 or two times then stopped. as the seasons got try was fine now its wet again and it happen yesterday after sitting 2 days both side. most here say bags but car as 43K kilometers like 25K miles. next is the desiccant beads or pump valve so I guess I will check that no fuse issues and pump isn't running always so think relay ok. let me know what you figure. your ahead of me doing something to fix.
There was a day of heavy rain the day before the suspension sagged, but I can't imagine it's the cause of it.

The weird thing is I swapped the air bags and the suspension raised up after I start the car in sport mode, however it doesn't stay good for long, and under some unknown circumstance, it dropped back again after the first day, and then starting the car in sport mode kinda fix it. On the second day, air suspension was good in the AM but after a while it went down and not coming back up again.

I did a scan to my car and I got a 480DB0 error code for Raise control time.
      08-23-2023, 06:36 AM   #90
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i. 2015 F15 M50D.

Do both sides drop or just one? If it's both sides then it's unlikely to be a leak in both bags, more likely to be a leak in the compressor itself or one of the lines. You probably need to replace the seals in the compressor, or look elsewhere than the bags.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 11:32 AM   #91
hamh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustraliaG20 View Post
Do both sides drop or just one? If it's both sides then it's unlikely to be a leak in both bags, more likely to be a leak in the compressor itself or one of the lines. You probably need to replace the seals in the compressor, or look elsewhere than the bags.
Both side dropped, what kind of seals are there in the compressor? Is there a part number that I can look into?
      08-23-2023, 02:25 PM   #92
kanchis
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335D 11'; F15 X5 35i 16'

Both air bags deflating randomly

I have a 2016 X5 M Sport (3rd row seat) with air suspension. Since lately both sides would randomly drop. So far it has never dropped one side, ever. Its always been both sides and complete deflate. Sometimes if I remove the fuse and put it back, lock, unlock it seems to trigger the pump to kick back on. Sometimes the pump doesnt stay long enough to fill the bags to the correct ride height. Everything is completely random. Sometimes I dont need to remove the fuse either, just unlock and lock and it'll start pumping again. At times it'll go for weeks with no issue. All these things are sorta telling me that its not a leaky bag but something to do with the pump or the ride height sensors?
I've been looking at the ARNOTT A-2642 which seems to be the part that most people are using for this. However, at FCP Euro its coming up as "Part may not fit" with my VIN. I'm not sure why? I asked one of the reps and seems like they are just reading a script
I'm wondering if I should rebuild the pump first? or go for the bags? Trying to not replace parts that I dont need to. Any thoughts?
      08-23-2023, 02:41 PM   #93
hamh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanchis View Post
I have a 2016 X5 M Sport (3rd row seat) with air suspension. Since lately both sides would randomly drop. So far it has never dropped one side, ever. Its always been both sides and complete deflate. Sometimes if I remove the fuse and put it back, lock, unlock it seems to trigger the pump to kick back on. Sometimes the pump doesnt stay long enough to fill the bags to the correct ride height. Everything is completely random. Sometimes I dont need to remove the fuse either, just unlock and lock and it'll start pumping again. At times it'll go for weeks with no issue. All these things are sorta telling me that its not a leaky bag but something to do with the pump or the ride height sensors?
I've been looking at the ARNOTT A-2642 which seems to be the part that most people are using for this. However, at FCP Euro its coming up as "Part may not fit" with my VIN. I'm not sure why? I asked one of the reps and seems like they are just reading a script
I'm wondering if I should rebuild the pump first? or go for the bags? Trying to not replace parts that I dont need to. Any thoughts?
My symptom is very similar to yours except I'm only experiencing it within a week, and even though I have swap out the air bag, I'd think the culprit is something else either at the sensor or the compressor itself.

And yes, the part is right, I also bought the Arnott A-2642 and have installed it myself without any problem.
      08-23-2023, 04:15 PM   #94
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i. 2015 F15 M50D.

I'm currently at work, but I remember seeing a YouTube video on it - a quick search, and didn't watch it, but I think this is it

Otherwise it might be easier to consider replacing the compressor, but since you seem fairly handy, then I would check this out.

- I quickly watched it and this is more for bags that won't drop. But you can see how to remove the compressor and the lines around it that can break etc. I would look in this general direction. Hopefully someone else can help. Sorry!
Appreciate 1
fvt_0.00
      08-23-2023, 04:28 PM   #95
hamh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm currently at work, but I remember seeing a YouTube video on it - a quick search, and didn't watch it, but I think this is it

Otherwise it might be easier to consider replacing the compressor, but since you seem fairly handy, then I would check this out.

- I quickly watched it and this is more for bags that won't drop. But you can see how to remove the compressor and the lines around it that can break etc. I would look in this general direction. Hopefully someone else can help. Sorry!
Yup, I ordered the beads and a spare solenoid valve, and that's what I'm gonna swap out next. But I'm also worried if it's the height sensor.
      08-23-2023, 06:34 PM   #96
fvt_
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamh View Post
My symptom is very similar to yours except I'm only experiencing it within a week, and even though I have swapped out the airbag, I'd think the culprit is something else, either at the sensor or the compressor itself.

And yes, the part is right, I also bought the Arnott A-2642 and have installed it myself without any problem.
My vehicle, a 2015 F15-X5 3.0) does the same thing. Changed out the OEM with Arnott and it was running fine. Then I had it on the Rhino ramps for an oil change, and now it's starting to leak air from somewhere. If anyone knows anything, please let me know. Whats weird about mine was the car was fine until it went on the Rhino ramps. Do you think the car went into diag mode?

Last edited by fvt_; 08-23-2023 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 05:13 PM   #97
rmacgurn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X63.0D, 911C4S

Garage List
We all seem to have very similar issue and it doesn’t sound like the air springs so could be stuck relay or water in pump and need new desiccant beads, or the control valve. I’m gonna pull my pump as fuse is good and when it goes down even after on off a few time and change to sport mode and back nothing then a few hours later I hear pump and it’s back up and normal for a day a week or a month. Yet no codes at all in ISTA or BimmerUtility to view or reset. Even did the recalibrate a few times seems better then the same. Gotta be one of those items.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 05:25 PM   #98
rmacgurn
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
There was a day of heavy rain the day before the suspension sagged, but I can't imagine it's the cause of it.

The weird thing is I swapped the air bags and the suspension raised up after I start the car in sport mode, however it doesn't stay good for long, and under some unknown circumstance, it dropped back again after the first day, and then starting the car in sport mode kinda fix it. On the second day, air suspension was good in the AM but after a while it went down and not coming back up again.

I did a scan to my car and I got a 480DB0 error code for Raise control time.
Just means pump running but not producing enough air to reinflate bags. Line or bag leaks, wet desiccant, bad solenoid etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 05:31 PM   #99
rmacgurn
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm currently at work, but I remember seeing a YouTube video on it - a quick search, and didn't watch it, but I think this is it https://youtu.be/dUDDH3mtjr8?si=IIylVj_TqdCpp1k2

Being soaked the desiccant would stop it from inflating to. I heard him say the car was sagging down not stuck up. So I think this does apply to cars in wet climates that randomly drop.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 05:32 PM   #100
rmacgurn
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yup, I ordered the beads and a spare solenoid valve, and that's what I'm gonna swap out next. But I'm also worried if it's the height sensor.
What is PN on solenoid as I’m going to try that and desiccant first. Thanks I’m advance. What happed with yours?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 09:06 PM   #101
hamh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What is PN on solenoid as I’m going to try that and desiccant first. Thanks I’m advance. What happed with yours?
I haven't started the fixing yet as there's a heat wave in Chicago right now, I probably will take the compressor out tomorrow and see, plus the solenoid valve is not arriving until tomorrow.

This is the part I ordered, I forgot how I searched for it but if you look at the review, one of the reviewer used it to fix his F15 compressor.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TQ3L1ZH/
      08-25-2023, 12:50 PM   #102
rmacgurn
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I haven't started the fixing yet as there's a heat wave in Chicago right now, I probably will take the compressor out tomorrow and see, plus the solenoid valve is not arriving until tomorrow.

This is the part I ordered, I forgot how I searched for it but if you look at the review, one of the reviewer used it to fix his F15 compressor.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TQ3L1ZH/
I checked the part number in realoem parts for BMW but I get this for F15/F16 models.
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...&q=37206875177.

fits these years:
X5 F15   (08/2012 — 06/2018)
X5 M F85   (04/2013 — 06/2018)
X6 F16   (09/2013 — 05/2019)
X6 M F86   (10/2013 — 05/2019)

Amazon price:
https://www.amazon.com/YH-Suspension...2985949&sr=8-1

gonna wait to see if yours fits. before ordering.
thanks

Last edited by rmacgurn; 08-25-2023 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: add. more info
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 05:26 PM   #103
hamh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I took the compressor out this after and change the desiccant beads, and I can feel that they are a bit moist in the container but not fully wet. But since I have it opened, I changed them to new beads anyway, but that doesn't fix the air suspension, so the root cause is something else.

Unfortunately the valve from amazon delivery is delayed and I can't swap the valve in. However, I did try to take the valve out in the compressor, and the little rod thing in the middle of the valve is kinda stuck and not movable, so I wonder if that's the problem.

So with this exercise, below is what I observed:
- Before I take out the compressor, the air bag is still kinda rigid, not deflated
- When I take out the compressor with all the air hose disconnect, I can see the air bags are deflated
- After changing the beads and connect the compressor back, the airbags fill up, but the rear of the car is not rising up to the expected height
- When I unlock the car, after like 15sec, I can hear the compressor turns on and try to do something, but the air suspension still not rising up to what it should be

So I think the compressor is pumping out air to the air bag, but I don't know if it is not pumping strong enough, or it is the sensor doesn't tell the system to keep pumping.

Any suggestion is appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by hamh; 08-25-2023 at 05:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 06:00 PM   #104
hamh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I checked the part number in realoem parts for BMW but I get this for F15/F16 models.
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...&q=37206875177.

fits these years:
X5 F15   (08/2012 — 06/2018)
X5 M F85   (04/2013 — 06/2018)
X6 F16   (09/2013 — 05/2019)
X6 M F86   (10/2013 — 05/2019)

Amazon price:
https://www.amazon.com/YH-Suspension...2985949&sr=8-1

gonna wait to see if yours fits. before ordering.
thanks
37206875177 is the part number for the whole compressor, if you search wabco 37206875177 , you will see that it is the complete air compressor unit.
      08-25-2023, 06:41 PM   #105
rmacgurn
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Strange I get the solenoid air valve control..follow the Amazon link. The part # other guy have doesn’t look at all the same and seems to be for 5 series cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 06:46 PM   #106
rmacgurn
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
37206875177 is the part number for the whole compressor, if you search wabco 37206875177 , you will see that it is the complete air compressor unit.
Yeah on real oem I get this part #https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...&q=37146860387
3714686038. Which looks like the same part on the Amazon like. Well let’s see if you get the right part then I’ll decide. I’m still hoping it’s dessicant or relay.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 06:51 PM   #107
rmacgurn
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I took the compressor out this after and change the desiccant beads, and I can feel that they are a bit moist in the container but not fully wet. But since I have it opened, I changed them to new beads anyway, but that doesn't fix the air suspension, so the root cause is something else.

Unfortunately the valve from amazon delivery is delayed and I can't swap the valve in. However, I did try to take the valve out in the compressor, and the little rod thing in the middle of the valve is kinda stuck and not movable, so I wonder if that's the problem.

So with this exercise, below is what I observed:
- Before I take out the compressor, the air bag is still kinda rigid, not deflated
- When I take out the compressor with all the air hose disconnect, I can see the air bags are deflated
- After changing the beads and connect the compressor back, the airbags fill up, but the rear of the car is not rising up to the expected height
- When I unlock the car, after like 15sec, I can hear the compressor turns on and try to do something, but the air suspension still not rising up to what it should be

So I think the compressor is pumping out air to the air bag, but I don't know if it is not pumping strong enough, or it is the sensor doesn't tell the system to keep pumping.

Any suggestion is appreciated.
Sounds like you’ve limited the cause now to the air control solenoid or ride height level sensor. You checked relay and fuse (pump would not run if fuse blown) relay sticking would keep it on or off, so only 2 things left according to diagrams. Good luck I’m right behind you. But mine holding last two days.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 09:45 PM   #108
hamh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like you’ve limited the cause now to the air control solenoid or ride height level sensor. You checked relay and fuse (pump would not run if fuse blown) relay sticking would keep it on or off, so only 2 things left according to diagrams. Good luck I’m right behind you. But mine holding last two days.
Yea, my fuse looks good and the relay seems to be fine otherwise the compressor won’t be able to fill up the air bag after I reconnect the compressor, it’s just the pressure is not high enough to lift up the rear may be.

Now the part just arrived finally, I’ll see if I can take the compressor out again tomorrow by myself (I have a friend helping me today)
Attached Images

08-25-2023, 10:27 PM   #109
rmacgurn
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yea, my fuse looks good and the relay seems to be fine otherwise the compressor won’t be able to fill up the air bag after I reconnect the compressor, it’s just the pressure is not high enough to lift up the rear may be.

Now the part just arrived finally, I’ll see if I can take the compressor out again tomorrow by myself (I have a friend helping me today)
That look the same as the one in your fotos that you took out today?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 10:29 PM   #110
hamh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That look the same as the one in your fotos that you took out today?
Yup, looks the same. Except the rod in the middle was stuck not movable in my current one in the compressor, and this new replacement has the rod movable.