BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

07-27-2019, 04:54 PM   #155
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersixM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTWW View Post
Yikes! This sounds like a nightmare (puts money back in wallet).

Ill say this. The parts are solid. But even solid parts break. They say its easy but break a factory connector or pinch; expose a wire and your fcuked.

Removal of trim is fairly easy. Some connectors are extremely tight. Some are complicated to unclip as well.

But i will try again.
Oh no what happened. Did you break something. I haven't found anything difficult. Did you check the fiber optic cables. As mentioned they can be inserted upside down. Let me know how I can help

Reread what you posted. And let's see. I agree that the cables going to the new screen are a pain to get in with the power supply, GPS, and oem display. The oem can't be integrated so I get that but the gps should be integrated for sure.

I also had the same issue with the screen not seating down And lining up the screw holes which I mentioned in my review. I couldn't actually get mine to line up so my screen isn't actually screwed in.

As far as the havoc blue and white connector just make sure when taking it out you push down on the middle of the connect and then pull down the arm. As you pull down the arm it pulls out the plug. When putting it back in make sure you start with the lever arm fully down and then when you seat the plug you pull that arm up and it should seat the plug perfectly for you. After doing it a couple times it's super easy now.

One thing I did notice is your screen quality seems to be really bad. Is that just the camera or that real?
Screen protector on .And dirty from constantly trying to get it right.

I have a new problem now. Air is ONLY coming out through the defrost vents on top of the dash. No air coming out from front vents at all. I double triple check my connections and I double checked the pins. Everything seems OK.
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2019, 03:44 PM   #156
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yikes! This sounds like a nightmare (puts money back in wallet).

Ill say this. The parts are solid. But even solid parts break. They say its easy but break a factory connector or pinch; expose a wire and your fcuked.

Removal of trim is fairly easy. Some connectors are extremely tight. Some are complicated to unclip as well.

But i will try again.
Oh no what happened. Did you break something. I haven't found anything difficult. Did you check the fiber optic cables. As mentioned they can be inserted upside down. Let me know how I can help

Reread what you posted. And let's see. I agree that the cables going to the new screen are a pain to get in with the power supply, GPS, and oem display. The oem can't be integrated so I get that but the gps should be integrated for sure.

I also had the same issue with the screen not seating down And lining up the screw holes which I mentioned in my review. I couldn't actually get mine to line up so my screen isn't actually screwed in.

As far as the havoc blue and white connector just make sure when taking it out you push down on the middle of the connect and then pull down the arm. As you pull down the arm it pulls out the plug. When putting it back in make sure you start with the lever arm fully down and then when you seat the plug you pull that arm up and it should seat the plug perfectly for you. After doing it a couple times it's super easy now.

One thing I did notice is your screen quality seems to be really bad. Is that just the camera or that real?
Screen protector on .And dirty from constantly trying to get it right.

I have a new problem now. Air is ONLY coming out through the defrost vents on top of the dash. No air coming out from front vents at all. I double triple check my connections and I double checked the pins. Everything seems OK.
I would unplug and replug them back in man. They're not seated properly.

As far as the screen. I see a distortion. Thought you got the HD screen. But if you say it's not there then maybe the camera. I still have my screen protector on mine haha. Wait did you get the Avin unit they didn't have an HD screen option?
Attached Images

'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 11:34 AM   #157
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

Ac back on. Plug wasn't seated properly. Yes I did order the 720 screen. And yes there is a distortion at the very bottom. Screen is being replaced.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 10:43 AM   #158
Danc77
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 X5

Had been following this thread awhile and finally pull the trigger and got it from avin.

The whole install took about 2 hours but I think I can do it in 1 if I have to to this again..

Besides the system itself I also got the screen protectors, wireless carplay dongle, gps splitter and the AUX splitter.

I've circle two places that might give other ppl problem if they want to try this themselves.

I fed the USB connections through the top left of the glove compartment and pull it to the back of the monitor.

You can see the screen resolution is only 1280 x 480.. but it's good enough as it's night and day difference than the original one.

Appreciate 3
      08-03-2019, 06:53 PM   #159
AZTWW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model S Long Range

Hey SupersixM, did you ever receive your replacement unit?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 07:34 PM   #160
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hey SupersixM, did you ever receive your replacement unit?
I shipped it back to China via USPS Priority a week ago . Cost me $70, insurance included.. On tracking , they should receive it within a couple days. Everything is wait and see for now.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 08:52 PM   #161
AZTWW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I shipped it back to China via USPS Priority a week ago . Cost me $70, insurance included.. On tracking , they should receive it within a couple days. Everything is wait and see for now.
How annoying. I pulled the trigger on audio upgrades for now but will continue to watch this thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 06:53 PM   #162
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

It’s been a week since I’ve gotten my refund. And I’m thinking of giving AvinUSA a shot. At $439 I’ll save considerably.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 11:21 PM   #163
AZTWW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It’s been a week since I’ve gotten my refund. And I’m thinking of giving AvinUSA a shot. At $439 I’ll save considerably.
Avin is just 480 resolution right? 4x4 was 720 but a lot more expensive. Ill admit that is a good price.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 06:29 AM   #164
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Avin is just 480 resolution right? 4x4 was 720 but a lot more expensive. Ill admit that is a good price.
Don't touch 4x4 with a 10ft pole. They are a scam. Better off going aliexpress
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 08:38 AM   #165
AZTWW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I believe that is what he did (ali) and got a defective unit on the first try. I gues you could keep trying until you got one that is usable but that might become expensive at $70 to return it every time.

Didn't you get the 4x4 unit? You don't like it? Is it just because it is more expensive and marked up?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 08:58 AM   #166
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I believe that is what he did (ali) and got a defective unit on the first try. I gues you could keep trying until you got one that is usable but that might become expensive at $70 to return it every time.

Didn't you get the 4x4 unit? You don't like it? Is it just because it is more expensive and marked up?
It's hugely marked up and they all come from China. So I was just as likely to get a faulty unit. Problem is 4x4 sold me a unit they didn't have. Took me over a month to receive. They don't answer emails or the phone. They don't answer questions. Then they lowered the price of the unit by $100 before I even got my unit and when I asked about it they said they're fixing the website and never got back to me. They fixed the website. It's still cheaper than what I paid. And now they ignore every email. I had issues at the beginning with some software set up and no response from them.

They are a scam. All they do is sell 3rd party units from China and charge you an extra 20-30% for no reason. The unit came to me direct from China too so it's not like they get them and test them or know anything about the unit.

Oh and they also charge you this ridiculous service fee for basically being the middle man which is like another $20.

Now every time I email them looking for a response (keep in mind I keep replying so all the former emails and their responses are attached) I get some
Boob that pretends to have no idea what I'm upset about and asks how he can help. Well after the 3rd time of doing them I just have fire to spread to them so I stopped. But now I've made it my life's mission to destroy their reputation. Any and every forum I can and I will destroy them.

And here I thought Canadians were supposed to be nice and friendly.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 10:18 AM   #167
AZTWW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's hugely marked up and they all come from China. So I was just as likely to get a faulty unit. Problem is 4x4 sold me a unit they didn't have. Took me over a month to receive. They don't answer emails or the phone. They don't answer questions. Then they lowered the price of the unit by $100 before I even got my unit and when I asked about it they said they're fixing the website and never got back to me. They fixed the website. It's still cheaper than what I paid. And now they ignore every email. I had issues at the beginning with some software set up and no response from them.

They are a scam. All they do is sell 3rd party units from China and charge you an extra 20-30% for no reason. The unit came to me direct from China too so it's not like they get them and test them or know anything about the unit.

Oh and they also charge you this ridiculous service fee for basically being the middle man which is like another $20.

Now every time I email them looking for a response (keep in mind I keep replying so all the former emails and their responses are attached) I get some
Boob that pretends to have no idea what I'm upset about and asks how he can help. Well after the 3rd time of doing them I just have fire to spread to them so I stopped. But now I've made it my life's mission to destroy their reputation. Any and every forum I can and I will destroy them.

And here I thought Canadians were supposed to be nice and friendly.
LOL. Oh wow. Yeah there is something to be said about good customer service these days. I am still on the fence about pulling the trigger on Ali. It appears there is only 1 1920x720 unit for sale on ebay and Ali. I would imagine it is the same one that 4x4 carries. I am just look for someone else to be "first". I may have to step to the plate and swing.
Appreciate 1
mrfochon211.00
      08-29-2019, 10:34 AM   #168
mrfochon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M package

Garage List
Anything non OEM is usually a trial and errors. Are you more of a lucky guy ? Then I would pass and simply do a CarPlay box. They are proven to be more stable. My 0.02c wishing you the best !!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 03:31 PM   #169
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

Everything iin life s trial and error.

Only one seller has 720 screens. Anybody that sells 720 for Xseries gets it from chan Chen tech. ( Carnavi ). There the only ones with it that im aware. They are VERY friendly and will work with you. Me and Mav had the exact same packaging.

Granted, my screen was defected. Could of lived with it, but Mav HAD to say something. LOL. just kidding.
For $663 it would have bothered me forever. Should note that after they received it they took down 720 screens from the Ali site because i guess my abnomally was a discovery for them so they took the product off site and its back up now. (bout 2 weeks).

Carplay box? Not my thing. Im an Android guy. Left the steve jobs cult at IPhone 4 when i realized i keep buying the same phone over and over. ( whole nother subject ). Plus im NBT so no touchscreen on mines. i just rather the the car be 100% independent of my phone.

4x4shop.ca. RIPOFF. They sell at a high mark up because they are paying a high price for it. It ships from China because they are just a third party. PLUS its not cost productive to buy a bunch and nobody buys it or another comes out and you're stuck with outdated tech. Not to mention importing to Canada then shipping to USA. Customs cost nightmare.

Why AvinUsa. 663-439= 224-70=$154. Yeah sure its not 720 but factoring the cost to go through that again if something else was wrong, the time, the money. I can live with 480. Also factoring how much times ill watch videos or how much 'clearer' the screen is, AvinUsa is a safer bet.

This is Carnavi's CICI CHEN WhatsApp
Very cool speaks english and responds right away. Also they are 12hr difference to EST. So be prepared to talk at night.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      09-02-2019, 10:13 AM   #170
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Everything iin life s trial and error.

Only one seller has 720 screens. Anybody that sells 720 for Xseries gets it from chan Chen tech. ( Carnavi ). There the only ones with it that im aware. They are VERY friendly and will work with you. Me and Mav had the exact same packaging.

Granted, my screen was defected. Could of lived with it, but Mav HAD to say something. LOL. just kidding.
For $663 it would have bothered me forever. Should note that after they received it they took down 720 screens from the Ali site because i guess my abnomally was a discovery for them so they took the product off site and its back up now. (bout 2 weeks).

Carplay box? Not my thing. Im an Android guy. Left the steve jobs cult at IPhone 4 when i realized i keep buying the same phone over and over. ( whole nother subject ). Plus im NBT so no touchscreen on mines. i just rather the the car be 100% independent of my phone.

4x4shop.ca. RIPOFF. They sell at a high mark up because they are paying a high price for it. It ships from China because they are just a third party. PLUS its not cost productive to buy a bunch and nobody buys it or another comes out and you're stuck with outdated tech. Not to mention importing to Canada then shipping to USA. Customs cost nightmare.

Why AvinUsa. 663-439= 224-70=$154. Yeah sure its not 720 but factoring the cost to go through that again if something else was wrong, the time, the money. I can live with 480. Also factoring how much times ill watch videos or how much 'clearer' the screen is, AvinUsa is a safer bet.

This is Carnavi's CICI CHEN WhatsApp
Very cool speaks english and responds right away. Also they are 12hr difference to EST. So be prepared to talk at night.
Haha sorry man. I was just looking out for you!

On another note. I tend to disagree with the above statement that the CarPlay boxes are more stable by any means. I had more issues with them than my 2 android units. In fact they both have been flawless. Specifically the unit I have now with the 720p screen. Only issue I have is with who I bought it from. And for the record they don't inport to Canada and then the USA. The box came straight from China. 4x4 did nothing but submit the order. If they even did that. The order probably went straight to the Chinese company. To be honest I've not really used any of the additional features of the android units after the initial test. But mostly cuz I don't spend a lot of down time in the car. To and from work. Running errands. Dinners events etc. so car play is what I use a lot and I enjoy that I have the option to use car play AND android auto should I ever have the need.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 09:16 AM   #171
miloplays
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 45e

Garage List
2023 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
I saw that you installed the Avin display recently and hoping you could help me. I tried to install mine last night and couldn't not get the holes lined up for the monitor. Did you have that issue? I have a 2015 X5. I can send you pics if interested but would love any insight you might have.

Also when I was initially playing with it, it did seem a little laggy. Have you experienced that at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danc77 View Post
Had been following this thread awhile and finally pull the trigger and got it from avin.

The whole install took about 2 hours but I think I can do it in 1 if I have to to this again..

Besides the system itself I also got the screen protectors, wireless carplay dongle, gps splitter and the AUX splitter.

I've circle two places that might give other ppl problem if they want to try this themselves.

I fed the USB connections through the top left of the glove compartment and pull it to the back of the monitor.

You can see the screen resolution is only 1280 x 480.. but it's good enough as it's night and day difference than the original one.

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 08:40 PM   #172
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

So I reordered the 720 again ($30 discount) last week Thursday, got it on Tuesday and me and my boy installed it today. Everything works. And I'm completely satisfied and thrilled.

Problem I ran into and how we fixed it.
1. Optical cable wouldn't stay clicked in the harness so we added a dab of hot glue just enough to keep locked in/ not enough for permanency.

2. Two screw holes under the screen would not line up to factory and instead of pressing down and risking damaging the screen like I think I did to my previous one, with a flat head screwdriver, just push up the hole and it screws in w no problem. So it's locked in secure.

To avoid problems I didn't run no other cables like USBs or A/V cables as I have no current need for that. No Aux cable was ran either. All audio goes through optical.

Tested my YouTube and Waze two apps I'll use the most and it works OK.

Is there a Dark mode option on this thing.?

Tomorrow I'll be testing out alot more.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 10:41 AM   #173
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

split screen works ok.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 10:47 AM   #174
AZTWW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
split screen works ok.
Great news. Got pics? I will probably still do this upgrade soon. Glad to hear the unit you have is not defective. Bluetooth and connection all work good?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 10:57 AM   #175
foo2002
Private
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15 30D

I bought the wireless adapter from Avinusa.
https://avinusa.com/autoplay-usb-ada...nd-a-auto.html
Anyone know how to always start on the android part, to use automatic on Carplay?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 11:29 AM   #176
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Great news. Got pics? I will probably still do this upgrade soon. Glad to hear the unit you have is not defective. Bluetooth and connection all work good?
Bimmerpost app acting up .. I'll post up asap.
Appreciate 0