BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-01-2018, 11:35 AM   #1
brevets10000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 2015

Continental DWS06 replaced Bridgestone RFT's

In the last week bought a 2015 F15 staggered setup with RFT's on them 8/32 left

I couldn't take the tires and ordered a set of DSW06's from Discount Tire on Monday. I had them installed yesterday and what an unbelievable difference. Such a nice and quieter ride overall. The interesting thing is the second I turned the wheel to pull out of the parking space they were a total different feel just by the way the wheel turned. On the road, they made the X5 feel like an entirely new vehicle. I live at 4k feet in the mountains and they did great on a few curves I like to take a speed.

I have AAA but also ordered the continental emergency kit similar to the one BMW sells instead of a spare for any small punctures to get where I need to go.

So what did I do with the tires, well they bought them from me and will sell as used. I haggled a bit and they gave me more for the tires than originally offered and a discount on the new set. All said and done, I probably left a $100 on the table but certainly worth if for me to not haul them home, store them, find a buyer, etc....

That was my first and last few days ever with RFT's - not my cup of tea feel wise.

Last edited by brevets10000; 11-01-2018 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
nyalpine907433.00
      11-01-2018, 11:41 AM   #2
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevets10000 View Post
In the last week bought a 2015 F15 staggered setup with RFT's on them 8/32 left

I couldn't takes the tires and ordered a set of DSW06's from Discount Tire on Monday. I had them installed yesterday and what an unbelievable difference. Such a nice and quieter ride overall. The interesting thing is the second I turned the wheel to pull out of the parking space they were a total different feel just by the way the wheel turned. On the road, they made the X5 feel like an entirely new vehicle. I live at 4k feet in the mountains and they did great on a few curves I like to take a speed.

I have AAA but also ordered the continental emergency kit similar to the one BMW sells instead of a spare for any small punctures to get where I need to go.

So what did I do with the tires, well they bought them from me and will sell as used. I haggled a bit and they gave me more for the tires than originally offered and a discount on the new set. All said and done, I probably left a $100 on the table but certainly worth if for me to not haul them home, store them, find a buyer, etc....

That was my first and last few days ever with RFT's - not my cup of tea feel wise.

I agree, I remember the day I had the Conti DSW's installed, just as you described. Enjoy the quiet and smooth ride.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 08:05 PM   #3
mrfochon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M package

Garage List
I knew there was a difference between my X5 with runflat and the X5 I test drove at bmw as CPO.
the ride fell smoother in the CPO; probably a question of run flat tire !

But not having RFT when driving in NY / NJ is not an option to me. Would hate to have a flat and have to replace on the side of the road.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 08:38 PM   #4
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Well, you know me as a DWS06 fan. However, I have to tell the truth of what happened to me recently. Just to be honest and objective.
The issue I encountered is that in rain my 275 and 315 were very unstable aquaplaning several times on highway during heavy rain. So I'm usually the left lane guy who drives let's be honest above speed limit. However in this heavy rain everyone slowed down, i slowed down of course too, BUT turns out I wasn't able to keep up even with middle lane and had to resort to right lane crawling at 40-45mph. It was really that bad. Basically I was the slowest car in traffic and felt very uncomfortable even in right lane. Car became unstable and I started gliding, going sideways a bit. Had to slow down to simply regain grip and continue driving in straight line.
I blame a bit too much tire width 275/315 in heavy rain. Probably simply not enough grooves to extrude/remove water from that wide contact patch - resulting in gliding.
After that experience I'm not convinced anymore that it's a good tire for winter either. It might be a descent tire IF you go with narrow width, but for us 275/315 guys - it's no bueno. Funny thing is there is a guy in classifieds sells a DWS06 as a winter tire - now that's scary for me.
After that experience DWS06 is for me a very good summer/all season tire for warm climate states, but a no go for states where you have lots of rain or snow - at least not in 275/315 setup.
All above just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 09:27 PM   #5
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
Well, you know me as a DWS06 fan. However, I have to tell the truth of what happened to me recently. Just to be honest and objective.
The issue I encountered is that in rain my 275 and 315 were very unstable aquaplaning several times on highway during heavy rain. So I'm usually the left lane guy who drives let's be honest above speed limit. However in this heavy rain everyone slowed down, i slowed down of course too, BUT turns out I wasn't able to keep up even with middle lane and had to resort to right lane crawling at 40-45mph. It was really that bad. Basically I was the slowest car in traffic and felt very uncomfortable even in right lane. Car became unstable and I started gliding, going sideways a bit. Had to slow down to simply regain grip and continue driving in straight line.
I blame a bit too much tire width 275/315 in heavy rain. Probably simply not enough grooves to extrude/remove water from that wide contact patch - resulting in gliding.
After that experience I'm not convinced anymore that it's a good tire for winter either. It might be a descent tire IF you go with narrow width, but for us 275/315 guys - it's no bueno. Funny thing is there is a guy in classifieds sells a DWS06 as a winter tire - now that's scary for me.
After that experience DWS06 is for me a very good summer/all season tire for warm climate states, but a no go for states where you have lots of rain or snow - at least not in 275/315 setup.
Damn you dush! I was really looking forward to these when my RFT finally die. Now it looks like I'm stuck with the Michelin AS Panamera ones
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50
      11-01-2018, 11:22 PM   #6
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Damn you dush! I was really looking forward to these when my RFT finally die. Now it looks like I'm stuck with the Michelin AS Panamera ones
Well it's better to know the truth and be prepared than find out later when it's too late. That been said - for any other weather except snow and heavy rain - they are indeed so good - that I enjoy them every day.
Appreciate 1
Maverik2594140.00
      11-02-2018, 06:49 AM   #7
IndyJer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F15 MSport

Garage List
'16 F15 XLine  [0.00]
'17 F15 MSport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Well, those Michelin’s are awesome, you won’t be disappointed!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 07:12 AM   #8
GiofromNJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 X5 x35 M Sport

sigh, i just got dws's...
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 07:25 AM   #9
brevets10000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiofromNJ View Post
sigh, i just got dws's...
Don’t sigh just yet - give them a whirl in what you normally drive in

Skill and feel vary as I was once told by a racer
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 07:27 AM   #10
GiofromNJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevets10000 View Post
Don’t sigh just yet - give them a whirl in what you normally drive in

Skill and feel vary as I was once told by a racer
i had these same tires on my mustang, then my honda accord when i had it -- and loved them both. the honda was bulletproof in the snow -- i'm hoping the same for the x5.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 07:46 AM   #11
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

My biggest gripe is that the DWSs aren't a good looking tire. They looks skinny compared to the Bridgestones.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 07:50 AM   #12
GiofromNJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
My biggest gripe is that the DWSs aren't a good looking tire. They looks skinny compared to the Bridgestones.
skinny...sidewall or...width? everyone i know says they look wider than stock...?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 08:18 AM   #13
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
i had these same tires on my mustang, then my honda accord when i had it -- and loved them both. the honda was bulletproof in the snow -- i'm hoping the same for the x5.
What lots of people failed on is that the the width of the tire on the X5 (315) is one of the widest on production cars. That is a a lot of surface the tires need to cut through any accumulation of snow. Stick with summers and winters... DWS is a compromise of both tires.
      11-02-2018, 08:21 AM   #14
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
My stock Dunlop Summer RFT although little noisy and harsh at times compared to non RFT.. grip my heavy X5 like glue... even during heavy rains. that is why I purchased a replacement tire recently because I felt very stable and confident riding on these RFT.

For my winter commutes ( if I even dare to venture out ) I drive my subaru.
      11-02-2018, 08:21 AM   #15
GiofromNJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
What lots of people failed on is that the the width of the tire on the X5 (315) is one of the widest on production cars. That is a a lot of surface the tires need to cut through any accumulation of snow. Stick with summers and winters... DWS is a compromise of both tires.
i get the wide argument -- but here in NJ -- we don't get feet of snow all that often and when we do, quite simply; we don't drive in it (least i don't).
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 08:23 AM   #16
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
i get the wide argument -- but here in NJ -- we don't get feet of snow all that often and when we do, quite simply; we don't drive in it (least i don't).
I don't either, unless I absolutely have to... and if I do I drive my Subaru.
My X5 sits in the garage on snow days. With that said, why even get the DWS to begin with?
      11-02-2018, 08:26 AM   #17
GiofromNJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don't either, unless I absolutely have to... and if I do I drive my Subaru.
My X5 sits in the garage on snow days. With that said, why even get the DWS to begin with?
truthfully -- i don't trust high-performance summer tires in any bit of snow. i'd rather have some grip then no grip. i don't have a beater -- and since i just bought my x5, i don't have a second set of rims either to just, throw snows on.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 08:28 AM   #18
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
truthfully -- i don't trust high-performance summer tires in any bit of snow. i'd rather have some grip then no grip. i don't have a beater -- and since i just bought my x5, i don't have a second set of rims either to just, throw snows on.
You just said that you don't drive in snow
      11-02-2018, 08:29 AM   #19
GiofromNJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You just said that you don't drive in snow
...FEET...read...FEET.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 08:29 AM   #20
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

Idk, they worked just fine for me in Germany, which has a lot of rain AND snow.
Maybe it’s the driver? Check the HUD in pic 2.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
GiofromNJ245.50
JWK170200.00
P111572.00
      11-02-2018, 08:36 AM   #21
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
...FEET...read...FEET.
My point is, the width of the tires are not going to be useful in any accumulation of snow.. few inches to whatever feet. If you want tires that are going to be stable you'd need to get snow tires or a 225 width or skinnier with all seasons.
      11-02-2018, 08:39 AM   #22
GiofromNJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My point is, the width of the tires are not going to be useful in any accumulation of snow.. few inches to whatever feet. If you want tires that are going to be stable you'd need to get snow tires or a 225 width or skinnier with all seasons.
sorry man but that's not entirely true. at some point the driver comes into play. i was with my dad driving in nevada when we got a snow squall -- i was driving his jag xk-rs and didn't have issues.

i agree with you - 315's are not ideal for snow travel - however, with a decent tire it should be significantly better than the same size summer tire.
Appreciate 1
JWK170200.00