BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-24-2015, 08:58 PM   #1
Doc5513
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5

'16 X5 35i build: My head hurts...can you help??

We are finalizing our X5 build, and I need a last bit of final input. I've done a lot of reading and know options are very personal for some. But my head is about to explode, and I think I need a reality check. Here is what we are thinking.....

2016 X5 xDrive35i

A52 Space Gray Metallic
LCB8 Terra Dakota Leather
4AC Poplar wood trim
ZLL luxury line
ZCW Cold Weather package
ZDA Driver Assistance Package
5DP Park Assistant
ZDB Driver Assistance Plus
5AT ACC Stop&Go + Active Driving Assistant
ZPP Premium Package
456 Multi-contour seats
688 Harmon Kardon surround sound system
ZLP lighting package
417 Rear manual shades

I'll make a few comments and then would love to get some hearty final assistance from you guys!:

Wife likes the Terra color and prefers the Dakota over the Napa...go figure. I like the leather dash, but not for $1200.
I know the Park Assistant is a $500 toy...I read mixed things about it and perhaps we should cut it out?
LED lighting package? We are rural and it is dark 30 around here at night. I figured give it a try? But it's $1900......
Rear sun shades....only $250 but do folks like those? My kids are teenagers so wondering if they would get much use...and any negatives to having them?

And the Big question........

Should I add DHP or DDC/rear axle air suspension???

DHP is $4500 and DDC is $1500. I have read the great comments about DHP, and it sounds awesome. But I take a hard swallow at the price. One caveat to mention: This will be a lease...thinking 3yr/12k per yr , so not sure if folks would change recommendations based on that or not.

As I have it built above we are looking at MSRP $71,070. Our USAA deal will be $65.5k +TT&fees.

Thanks so much,
P67
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 09:36 PM   #2
wearenh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 x35i DHP

sounds like a terrific build!
  • I have Terra and Poplar and love it
  • I have Multi Contour seats and LOVE them
  • I have HK and love it
  • We are also rural, I didn't get LEDs, the Xenons are terrific!
  • In my E70 I had DDC and loved it on the less than perfect roads
  • In my F15 I have DHP which has DDC, Torque Vectoring, and ... wait for it ...ARS!!!!
  • ARS (active roll stabilization) is wonderful ... can't believe how awesome it is

so... if it were me ... I'd drop the 1900 for LEDs and 500 for parking and 1200 for
stop and go, and add DHP .... 4500 - 3600 = 900 more

at a minimum, get the 2VM for $1500 ... it will lean without the ARS, but will be
great on less than perfect roads

but that's just me

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 09:38 PM   #3
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
you basically covered all the drawbacks of all the options you are considering. at the end you need to decide now much the toys are worth based on the cost. my opinion

LED-i had LED on my f10 and xenon on my f15. the led looks cool but i am not sure it actually has more light than xenon. and all the cool features are disabled in the usa anyways. so think of it as 1900$ bling.

park assist-don't need if you live in rural.

leather dash--i wouldn't get it unless i was getting napa seating. i need the leathers to match.

if you frequently go over potholes, speed bumps the air suspension is nice for rear passengers. again a luxury. DHP basically gives u bmw car like handling on an SUV. its good but pricey tech. if u are highway cruising probably not worth it. if you like to smash the throttle on turns or exits and look for the tail to slide out then you want it
Sold E90 335i M Sport Alpine White|Tokyo
Sold E36 328i Jet Black|NYC
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 11:08 PM   #4
Doc5513
Captain
Rep

Great points all. This is such a big ticket I just want to get it right. This is our first new car in a long time...first BMW...first lease...a lot of firsts!!
I do need to trim a bit if I want to add DHP. Park assist can go bye bye(..but it looked fun!). I guess we aren't really "rural" but in the suburbs that rolls into the mountains. Meant more we are not in an urban city environ w lots of light. For instance my neighborhood doesn't have street lights at all. Pretty pitch black. So that's why I was thinking LED. But if the stock lights are just as good...maybe next time.
I do a lot of highway driving in traffic...so will keep the ACC/S&G.
Is the DHP $3k "better" than the 2VM? 😁 Can I miss it even though I've never tried it!!!? Probably.
P67
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 09:29 AM   #5
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Any of the suspension option/upgrades is a must on the X5 in my opinion.

Don't go wrong there...

Alan
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 09:43 AM   #6
ElectricChair
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerai67 View Post
Rear sun shades....only $250 but do folks like those? My kids are teenagers so wondering if they would get much use...and any negatives to having them?
Get the shades. No negatives. If your kids don't like them they can just drop them down. I 'm pretty sure they will enjoy the shades in a sunny day trip.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 09:58 AM   #7
Terp335
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 2011 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhter
you basically covered all the drawbacks of all the options you are considering. at the end you need to decide now much the toys are worth based on the cost. my opinion

LED-i had LED on my f10 and xenon on my f15. the led looks cool but i am not sure it actually has more light than xenon. and all the cool features are disabled in the usa anyways. so think of it as 1900$ bling.

park assist-don't need if you live in rural.

leather dash--i wouldn't get it unless i was getting napa seating. i need the leathers to match.

if you frequently go over potholes, speed bumps the air suspension is nice for rear passengers. again a luxury. DHP basically gives u bmw car like handling on an SUV. its good but pricey tech. if u are highway cruising probably not worth it. if you like to smash the throttle on turns or exits and look for the tail to slide out then you want it
To OP, a lot of this is personal preference. We have black Dakota seating with the leather dash and upper doors. It greatly improves the overall look of the interior and we get a ton of compliments on it. I posted some pics in a thread for another member which might be helpful and I'd definitely get it again.

I agree with the comments made by others on the suspension upgrade. If you plan to tow anything i'd get DDC with rear air suspension at a minimum to help level the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 09:37 AM   #8
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
if you are going with space grey then I would recommend Mocha Dakota leather instead of Terra...it goes MUCH better with space grey as it is darker and more elegant.
since they both look much lighter than their photos, the Terra turns orange at some instances...Mocha is the real brown (with grey undertone) which is a perfect combo with space grey.
my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 10:17 AM   #9
LatinBimmer
Lieutenant
Peru
Rep
Drives: X5 2014 Sparkling Brown

Parking assistant is really a "nice to have toy"...but in real life, you'll never use it....I'd cut it out and go with the leather dash....it adds more luxury line to the car...

PS: great build !!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 11:05 AM   #10
Babs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
if you are going with space grey then I would recommend Mocha Dakota leather instead of Terra...it goes MUCH better with space grey as it is darker and more elegant.
since they both look much lighter than their photos, the Terra turns orange at some instances...Mocha is the real brown (with grey undertone) which is a perfect combo with space grey.
my 2 cents
This needs to be confirmed but I think you cannot get MC seats with Mocha Dakota leather seats.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 03:40 PM   #11
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
This needs to be confirmed but I think you cannot get MC seats with Mocha Dakota leather seats.
neither you can with Terra Dakota...
MC only comes with Mocha "Nappa" Leather...beware!!!
which is still a better choice than Terra IMO.
Only that Nappa is a softer leather compared to the hardy Dakota...
If you've got kids, dakota may be a better choice...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 08:11 PM   #12
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerai67 View Post
Great points all. This is such a big ticket I just want to get it right. This is our first new car in a long time...first BMW...first lease...a lot of firsts!!
I do need to trim a bit if I want to add DHP. Park assist can go bye bye(..but it looked fun!). I guess we aren't really "rural" but in the suburbs that rolls into the mountains. Meant more we are not in an urban city environ w lots of light. For instance my neighborhood doesn't have street lights at all. Pretty pitch black. So that's why I was thinking LED. But if the stock lights are just as good...maybe next time.
I do a lot of highway driving in traffic...so will keep the ACC/S&G.
Is the DHP $3k "better" than the 2VM? �� Can I miss it even though I've never tried it!!!? Probably.
P67
Yes- frankly, if you saw the hardware, you'd think it was worth 6k more. Biggest single improvement in the quality of this vehicle is optioning DHP. Particularly on a lease- just do it.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 08:26 PM   #13
bmw4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearenh View Post

sounds like a terrific build!
  • I have Terra and Poplar and love it
  • I have Multi Contour seats and LOVE them
  • I have HK and love it
  • We are also rural, I didn't get LEDs, the Xenons are terrific!
  • In my E70 I had DDC and loved it on the less than perfect roads
  • In my F15 I have DHP which has DDC, Torque Vectoring, and ... wait for it ...ARS!!!!
  • ARS (active roll stabilization) is wonderful ... can't believe how awesome it is

so... if it were me ... I'd drop the 1900 for LEDs and 500 for parking and 1200 for
stop and go, and add DHP .... 4500 - 3600 = 900 more

at a minimum, get the 2VM for $1500 ... it will lean without the ARS, but will be
great on less than perfect roads

but that's just me

the multi contour seats: i understand it adds a lot of different adjustments, but is the cushioning/padding different? in essence, are they more comfortable to sit in than the normal ones, or just introduce more electric adjustments?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 08:43 PM   #14
Chem14
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw4 View Post
the multi contour seats: i understand it adds a lot of different adjustments, but is the cushioning/padding different? in essence, are they more comfortable to sit in than the normal ones, or just introduce more electric adjustments?
The adjustments make them more comfortable. The most notable are the side bolster which you can adjust to hug you. IMO the Dakota is much softer than the sensatec and it felt like there was more padding with the multicontour than the standard but I'm not sure as that was a brief test drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 09:56 PM   #15
Doc5513
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
my 2 cents
If you want Mocha and MC seats, you have to go Napa leather, which means you go for the Napa Mocha Package. The wife prefers Dakota leather. I'm pretty indifferent to the leathers....I recognize an increased "Elegance" to the touch, but also that engenders a concern for durability. Not a fan of the extra stitching. But can take or leave it. Wife has an opinion. She also, frankly, likes Terra color better. I see her point...the Mocha does bring a darker cabin.
p67
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 10:56 PM   #16
wearenh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 x35i DHP

everyone who has ridden in my car, notably my ...um ... particular... wife ... has
commented that these {MC} seats are the most comfortable seats they have
ever sat in in a vehicle ... Here are 2 pics of my MC Terra interior

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 09:48 AM   #17
bmw4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Any of the suspension option/upgrades is a must on the X5 in my opinion.

Don't go wrong there...

Alan
this quote will haunt me for the rest of my life...certainly the biggest miss of my build based on the hundreds of threads on this topic. thankfully i have no idea what the difference feels like...but i trust everyone here
Appreciate 0