BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-19-2024, 10:58 AM   #1
blaggers1
Rep
Drives: bmw x5

DPF Removal

Has anyone done this or had to replace one?

Currently at our local performance centre and the guys have figured out the problem with my newly purchased X5.... The previous owners have removed the DPF all together!!

Very annoying they didn't tell me but there you go! So I'm going to get the DPF coded out along with the remap (which will fix the issues I'm currently facing) but considering in the long run getting a DPF refitted but I'm told it's rather costly... Around £1200 for the part plus labour which will be substantial also!

Has anyone done this? Or is anyone running without a DPF?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 06:05 PM   #2
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Yes, a DPF is costly unless you manage to get one from let’s say “eBay”, a new one from BMW can cost up to $3k or more.

Taking it out is not that difficult, just time consuming if you do it right. Just have to be patient. There is a guy that posted a video on YouTube on how to do it, you can search for it and get an idea.

The person you bought it from did not disclose that it was DPF Deleted?

Also, if it was not coded out, your first indication that something was wrong was the Check Engine Light. If you have no check engine light, then it has been coded to work without the DPF and EGR system most likely. You might want to look at your exhaust as that might be the issue.

Meaning, it’s straight piped from the turbo down…. No Diesel Oxidation Catalyst which helps a bit with smoke and smell.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 12:20 AM   #3
blaggers1
Rep

Thanks for this.

No I bought it privately last Friday and they didn't mention they had removed the DPF at all! Guessinf not much I can do now with buying it privatelt other than suck it up!

This is what is confusing me... There has been no lights on the dash at... I've had it to my local performance centre today to have the diagnostics done and he said all that was coded out was the ad blue. When I rang to book it in he said he had a feeling the DPF had been removed, said he gets them often and what u was describing was exactly that. When he ran the diagnostics he said the DPF came up as 0, which indicates there is not one there but he also said he can't see any visible welding work to show it had been removed!

He has today coded out the dpf, told me to give it a couple hundred mile to clear out what's potentially in there already and if it's still like that to go back.

I wouldn't know where to start I'm a woman who is clueless with cars so I'd need to go through a garage to have any work done haha
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 10:07 PM   #4
E85 Sport
who is this noob
Rep
Drives: from Spartanburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaggers1 View Post
clueless with cars
Find out the legal ramifications of driving without a DPF.

You could be risking a fine of thousands of quid for this.

Used DPF are £400-500 from breakers.
Lots of shops can clean/restore them before installation.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 04:52 AM   #5
blaggers1
Rep

Yes I'm aware, I'm highly annoyed at the seller and my hubby is fuming to say the least! We've gone back to the seller today and told him what we've found... Basically sold us an illegal car. I was going to settle and just sort it myself but don't see why I should when this could end up costing a fortune and the car wasn't cheap! I've took videos of the car ticking over on the driveway today to show what's coming out the exhaust and I've contacted BMW to obtain the health check video from the egr recall.

To add to this I took it for a drive last night to see how it was going (it's been sat for a week). On initial start up the smoke from the exhaust was really bad but once on the motorway after 10 mins it was fine, however when in sport mode it's not changing gear when it hits 4k revs!

My mind is blown with it all. Wish I could add a video of what's coming away!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 08:24 PM   #6
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaggers1 View Post

My mind is blown with it all. Wish I could add a video of what's coming away!

Did you get this resolved? Did you return the vehicle?
Appreciate 0