pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrabbi View Post
Looks good man! My exhaust did a hack up job but he fucked up the tips so going to tell him to fix it lol

Are those 3.5" tips? I was planning on doing oem black tips but didn't work out. Just going to do quad tips. The vibrant resonators I got is causing a slight drone so might go for the vibrant ultra quiet resonators
Yup, 3.5" tips with a 2.5" inlet. Here they are.
      09-25-2019, 09:08 AM   #574
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i

Sweet. I might do 4"

Do you have a straight shot of tips?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 09:09 AM   #575
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Sweet. I might do 4"

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 01:44 PM   #576
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I just put on my tune and drone is very minimal now... lol who would have thought
Appreciate 1
hufington3122.00
      09-25-2019, 02:52 PM   #577
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
With huge thanks to fellow forum members hufington , Russmov , BimmerTy and everyone else, I decided to jump in. Had her done today. Sounds just the way I wanted it to - really bassy and not snarl-y or overly loud. I'm thrilled!

Found a one-man shop by word-of-mouth and met with the owner/fabricator. I brought the parts. Sent him here to this thread to get an idea of how it can be done, with links to the under-car images you folks were so generous with. He took it from there and did a great job.
Looks good man! My exhaust did a hack up job but he fucked up the tips so going to tell him to fix it lol

Are those 3.5" tips? I was planning on doing oem black tips but didn't work out. Just going to do quad tips. The vibrant resonators I got is causing a slight drone so might go for the vibrant ultra quiet resonators
I was thinking about going with blacked out stock tips .. what didn't you like about it?

Also some have speculated that the ultra quiet resonators would be too quiet, I look forward to hearing how yours turns out!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 03:03 PM   #578
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I posted my video earlier.

Tips I got were smaller trapezoid so imma just run chrome quad tips.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 05:06 PM   #579
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

So, very slow progress for me getting this done.
Ordered parts like the stamped X-pipe from AMZ, and didn't like the quality. Realized no one makes a 2.75" X-pipe either. Shelved that solution.

Gone back to the drawing board several times, while I have been trying to learn more about exhaust systems and reading feedback from those who have actually done this.

Couple things I have learned from talking to suppliers of mufflers and exhaust tubing:
-Mandrel bent tubes are more likely to cause drone, than cheaply bent tubes; "due to a larger internal surface area for the vibration to be amplified or resonate from". (Cheaply bent tubes are crimped and have slower flow and internal area..)
-Also; "When you have a long length of exhaust tubing (more than 5’) without a suppression device, there is an opportunity for exhaust valve pulse wave resonance frequencies to be amplified". (Distance from resonators to exhaust tips is more than 5 feet on the F15)

Currently I have 4 Vibrant 2.75" 45° Mandrel Bent SS tubes, that I'm going to cut and create my own X-Pipe from.
I also plan to order some of Vibrants SS 2.75" tubing, bends, and small 2.5" ID mufflers, once I have successfully made my own X-Pipe. (hard to find 2.75" ID mufflers")

Since a few of you using mandrel bent tubes, have complained about drone, I plan to install a small muffler on each side, after the rear axle, so I end up with less than 5ft of tubing without a "suppression device" to try to avoid drone.

Anyway, I'm not rushing getting this done. Might be another month before I get the X-pipe welded. Won't look like a normal X-pipe. I plan to create two V-s, cut the bottom off and then weld the "V's" together into the X.
Might experiment until spring, and have it all set to install then.

If you are looking for SS mandrel bent exhaust tubing, straight tubes and maybe mufflers, to make your own system, I recommend stopping by Vibrants website, they are very helpful!
Then order from one of their distributors. I went with Summit Racing. (no I have no connection to these companies, except being a paying customer)

Last edited by 1norseman; 09-25-2019 at 08:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 06:38 PM   #580
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

^^ My exhaust did a hack job so might tell him to use this mandrel-bent pipes for a more clean look. Is there a pipe from vibrant we can use for a "direct" fit?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 07:51 PM   #581
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Took another drive in cooler Boston weather and drones at 1500-2000, mostly on downshifting. When I get on it, sounds great. I have to go back next week for readjustment of tips. Thinking maybe have them put another resonator that's more "filled" anyone have any suggestions

Also. I am thinking of playing with resonators and doing band clamps instead of keep welding back and forth. If I get 2.5" resonator, would it slip over the current 2.5" piping?

Vibrant 1142 3" Ultra Quiet Resonator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001806YE2..._nYaJDb4VDHZ23
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 07:58 PM   #582
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
^^ My exhaust did a hack job so might tell him to use this mandrel-bent pipes for a more clean look. Is there a pipe from vibrant we can use for a "direct" fit?
Vibrant has different bends and straight tubes, up to you to cut and weld them, to make what you want.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 10:48 PM   #583
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Took a drive with the dog again but man he won't stop barking at the drone. I think I am going to order these and hopefully it settles it. I will do a clamp this time so I don't need to keep welding back and forth.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...E7U53NWQ&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 04:25 PM   #584
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sweet. I might do 4"

Here are a couple. I'm still liking the way they look.
Attached Images

10-01-2019, 06:24 PM   #585
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Nice. I am getting my exhaust re-done by another shop this Thursday with these tips below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Offset...72.m2749.l2649
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 01:07 PM   #586
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Nice. I am getting my exhaust re-done by another shop this Thursday with these tips below.

Those would look really great...but when I came across those in my search, I noticed that their length exceeds (by quite a bit) the max overall length of 9" that was included in the specs in the excellent post by (I think) hufington . Mine measured 9.5" and had to be trimmed back a bit to get them to fit, so I think that 9" max overall length spec is accurate and valid. FWIW.

The other thing with this one was that I live up north and our cars' exhaust is visible about 8 months out of the year. I was worried that the "branch" design on this one would mean that all the exhaust would come out of the "main" pipe and it would look odd. There's a "first world" OCD problem for you.
      10-02-2019, 02:17 PM   #587
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Those would look really great...but when I came across those in my search, I noticed that their length exceeds (by quite a bit) the max overall length of 9" that was included in the specs in the excellent post by (I think) hufington . Mine measured 9.5" and had to be trimmed back a bit to get them to fit, so I think that 9" max overall length spec is accurate and valid. FWIW.

The other thing with this one was that I live up north and our cars' exhaust is visible about 8 months out of the year. I was worried that the "branch" design on this one would mean that all the exhaust would come out of the "main" pipe and it would look odd. There's a "first world" OCD problem for you.
Yes guy said same thing. So the end is about 2.5" so he will cut that off so overall length will be around 9". Welder agreed these tips will look sick and will do everything in his power to make them fit. I have him green light to adjust the exhaust shield also if there is nothing behind it. I got 8 compliments already on the exhaust lol
Appreciate 1
hufington3122.00
      10-02-2019, 02:19 PM   #588
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yes guy said same thing. So the end is about 2.5" so he will cut that off so overall length will be around 9". Welder agreed these tips will look sick and will do everything in his power to make them fit. I have him green light to adjust the exhaust shield also if there is nothing behind it. I got 8 compliments already on the exhaust lol
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 05:03 PM   #589
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Appreciate 1
      10-03-2019, 03:42 PM   #590
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I got my tips installed. Overall A LOT happier. I removed the regular bottle style vibrant resonators for Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonators... NO DRONE AT ALL! I feel like it still gives much more pops and bangs as the regular bottle style did.

The passenger side is a bit off but he told me to drive it for a few days to see if it settles, if not he will readjust.

Don't mind the revving cause clearly my wife doesn't know how to rev

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
hufington3122.00
      10-03-2019, 05:25 PM   #591
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Few other pics.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 05:49 PM   #592
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The passenger side is a bit off...

...my wife doesn't know how to rev.
This is no place to air your marital discord. Hang in there.

Looks and sounds great! Quieter than mine and some of the other set-ups. Are those the 4" tips? They look great. Top-notch craftsmanship on that install.
      10-03-2019, 07:35 PM   #593
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Few other pics.
Looks awesome and not too loud (still classy).. but is it much louder than stock? If you can find some time could you do a cold start vid?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 07:44 PM   #594
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoold2003 View Post
Quote:
Few other pics.
Looks awesome and not too loud (still classy).. but is it much louder than stock? If you can find some time could you do a cold start vid?
I'll do it tomorrow
Appreciate 0