BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-10-2022, 01:44 PM   #155
MohDarawsheh
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachsideF30 View Post
Not only normal operating temp but only under load as well. But the fact that reving mine at the same rpm range in the driveway produces no noise. Do the same rpm range and temps tire while driving and it's there. Wastegate engaged both scenarios.
Yes,, at normal operating temperature , under load and driving next to wall or a building.

Just drove my car for 40 minutes with all windows open except the front passenger one was closed, the noise is 40% audible.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 02:03 AM   #156
Bomzara
BMW Fan
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: F15 35iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscorob View Post
Has anyone investigated the transmission itself?
Nope it couldn't be. On the video above a dude drives with DCT (read: manual) transmission without any hydraulic torque converter that usually produces some weird sounds, and he has exactly the same noise.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 02:12 AM   #157
Bomzara
BMW Fan
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohDarawsheh View Post
What killing me is that this ticking noise becomes audible when the engine temperature is at maximum normal. Exactly from where the turbocharge is located. I will install a camera tomorrow there trying to solve the mystery.

I very much like my car but this noise is driving me crazy.
Same preconditions on mine! Only at operating temperature, and possibly only in summer (not 100% sure about winter though).

And yes, having car lifted the noise is coming from the turbocharger/catalytic converter area. I wonder maybe it's a cat. converter issue? This explains how the guy from the video got rid of it by replacing the entire exhaust....

Furthermore, gave a car to my friend yesterday, and when he was passing slowly by me I was able to hear the wastegate rattle. The same noise that's well known and described on N20, N54 and with tons of videos on youtube. But honestly, I'd love to live with that rattle instead of the f***g ticking...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 02:25 AM   #158
Bomzara
BMW Fan
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachsideF30 View Post
Not only normal operating temp but only under load as well. But the fact that reving mine at the same rpm range in the driveway produces no noise. Do the same rpm range and temps tire while driving and it's there. Wastegate engaged both scenarios.
Well, mine doesn't have this sound while revving in P or N. Only driving under slight load, or revving in D while having the brake pedal full pressed.

For the wastegate, think it's fully open when you in N or P and just partially when in D. Explanation: do you guys hear the turbo whistle when revving in N or P? I don't. At all. Just a normal naturally aspired engine sound. And the opposite: when I drive with windows down and accelerate hardly to 4-5k, I clearly hear both the turbo whistle when pedal is down and the wastegate whistle once the pedal is released. So, possibly, the ECU doesn't close the wastegate when transmission in N or P.
Disclaimer: I don't know exactly how it works, these are just my thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 07:08 AM   #159
Monkeypoop
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 Bmw X5 sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomzara View Post
Quote:
What killing me is that this ticking noise becomes audible when the engine temperature is at maximum normal. Exactly from where the turbocharge is located. I will install a camera tomorrow there trying to solve the mystery.

Same preconditions on mine! Only at operating temperature, and possibly only in summer (not 100% sure about winter though).

And yes, having car lifted the noise is coming from the turbocharger/catalytic converter area. I wonder maybe it's a cat. converter issue? This explains how the guy from the video got rid of it by replacing the entire exhaust....

Furthermore, gave a car to my friend yesterday, and when he was passing slowly by me I was able to hear the wastegate rattle. The same noise that's well known and described on N20, N54 and with tons of videos on youtube. But honestly, I'd love to live with that rattle instead of the f***g ticking...
I have a catless DP and it does not make the "rattling" noise… i just hear turbo. Maybe you are onto something. Just adding my .02 cents and not sure of others setup.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2022, 08:31 PM   #160
spit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F15 x35i

hello

I have exactly the same or very similar problem...
Ticking noise is while I turn the steering wheel to the left and car it rolls slowly. The frequency increases when driving faster. The sound is exactly like yours. Is audible on passenger side at normal operating temperature.

please check if the sound also increases when you turn left
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 02:18 AM   #161
MohDarawsheh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spit View Post
hello

Ticking noise is while I turn the steering wheel to the left and car it rolls slowly. The frequency increases when driving faster. The sound is exactly like yours. Is audible on passenger side at normal operating temperature.

Hello my dear;

I think you are talking about different noise.
The noise that we are talking about is becoming audible when the engine is at normal operating temperature (after 10 - 15 minutes of driving) and under slight load at 1.8 to 2.5 rpm and having the passenger window opens.

Best.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 06:36 AM   #162
Bomzara
BMW Fan
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spit View Post
hello

Your problem is may be caused by a driveshaft. I had this on my prev F10 - just turn the wheel at 60-80% of its maximum and apply moderate-to-high throttle. With windows down I heard a loud metallic knocking, that became more frequent when RPM was raising.

In our case it sounds different: it's more like a marble/coin in a can when you shake it. It doesn't matter whether the steering wheel is turned or stays straight. And as said above, only under slight load and between 1500-2500 RPM on normal operating temperature.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 09:35 AM   #163
Monkeypoop
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 Bmw X5 sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypoop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomzara View Post
Quote:

I have a catless DP and it does not make the "rattling" noise… i just hear turbo. Maybe you are onto something. Just adding my .02 cents and not sure of others setup.
To follow up, has anyone checked to see if there is pieces of the cat broken off behind the turbo in the down-pipe? I know when i changed mine the interior cat material had "small chuncks" missing in the top end.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 01:55 PM   #164
MohDarawsheh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypoop View Post
To follow up, has anyone checked to see if there is pieces of the cat broken off behind the turbo in the down-pipe? I know when i changed mine the interior cat material had "small chuncks" missing in the top end.
Does this generate noise when the engine temperature is at the operating level?

L

Last edited by MohDarawsheh; 06-14-2022 at 04:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 11:51 AM   #165
MohDarawsheh
Rep

Did anyone check the heatshield?
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2022, 05:50 PM   #166
X5Brian
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5

I have a new high flow cat and have checked all heat shields.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 02:37 AM   #167
MohDarawsheh
Rep

I have consulted a mechanical engineer yesterday, he advised me to check the following:
1- Timing belt tensioner valve ( as it may produce this noise when the engine oil becomes less viscous --> and this is why you hear the noise when the engine is at its operating temperature and the engine oil losses its viscosity)
2- Exhaust system metal expands when the engine temperature reaches the highest possible point, so the exhaust gets closer to another piece and friction occurs at low RPM.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 08:12 AM   #168
2008bimmerM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: JB

Quote:
I have consulted a mechanical engineer yesterday, he advised me to check the following:
1- Timing belt tensioner valve ( as it may produce this noise when the engine oil becomes less viscous --> and this is why you hear the noise when the engine is at its operating temperature and the engine oil losses its viscosity)
2- Exhaust system metal expands when the engine temperature reaches the highest possible point, so the exhaust gets closer to another piece and friction occurs at low RPM.
Is your car out of warranty? if not tell them to fix it
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 09:19 AM   #169
MohDarawsheh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008bimmerM3 View Post
Is your car out of warranty? if not tell them to fix it

Unfortunately it is out of warranty.
I need to know the source of this.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 09:38 AM   #170
MohDarawsheh
Rep

My car’s wastegate. Does it sound normal?
https://youtube.com/shorts/V2U5yGLqrS8?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 02:38 PM   #171
Bomzara
BMW Fan
Ukraine
Rep

Mine has the same play And sound.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 01:54 AM   #172
MohDarawsheh
Rep

Update:

New turbo, new wheel bearings, checked the Crankshaft (rod bearing).

The ticking noise still exists.

Someone told me to check if there is a loose injector
Appreciate 3
tlow982191.00
      06-26-2022, 05:58 AM   #173
BeachsideF30
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90--> E92-->F30

Quote:
Update:

Wow, the search continues. Sorry to hear the news
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 03:33 PM   #174
Bomzara
BMW Fan
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Update:

Did you check the catalytic converter?

A friend of mine got rid on the ticking sound by installing a catless downpipe + stage3 hybrid turbo, but since he had upgraded/replaced all together at once, there is no clue what was causing that noise...

Last edited by Bomzara; 07-04-2022 at 03:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 12:42 PM   #175
MohDarawsheh
Rep

Jus solved the issue completely
Just bought an 530e 2020 xdrive.

Wish you all the best.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 01:03 PM   #176
X5Brian
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5

Well that will do it !
My dads 2022 M8 is soooo quite !
Mine sounds like a diesel next to his with those loud injectors !
Appreciate 0