BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

03-17-2020, 08:17 PM   #45
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
I've been in virtually all cars, including multiple electrics (i.e. Tesla). Very fast. The torque is insane...even better than some of the craziest exotics I've been in. But Teslas are numb. They are artificial. They are quiet. The interiors SUCK. The ergonomics inside are awful.

Here is another analogy. Slow and noisy sex or fast and quiet sex? I'll take my slow, loud, manual transmission over that fast, quiet, numb Tesla for YEARS to come.
Fast and quiet is better because it doesn't wake the kids!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 08:28 PM   #46
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

by 2021 the G series 4 will be out. They can drop all remaining manual 2 series and 4 series other than the m model.

all the v12 and the diesels. I wonder how they'll get to 50% .
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 12:19 PM   #47
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Fast and quiet is better because it doesn't wake the kids!
Nothing like a nice exhaust note on startup to put a genuine smile on kids' faces!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 12:48 PM   #48
docgaines
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530e

Maybe they'll add speakers outside the electrics for a fake startup noise so you can still impress the kids.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 02:00 PM   #49
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Why in the world would BMW introduce a G70-based M7, when a Tesla Model S would be available for less money, and absolutely smoke it from a performance standpoint? And let's not pretend that the 7-series interior quality (at a much higher price) will win over buyers.
BMW has a whole fleet of M vehicles today that are outperformed by the Model S (or Model X). So that has never been a barrier or benchmark that determined what BMW's customers want.

Furthermore, its all speculative - its just as example. BMW could just as easily call the model something else while still using the S68 engine. There are any number of possibilities. The bottom line is that I strongly believe the G70 will not be a V8-free model, and I'll bet you don't believe it will be either.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 02:57 PM   #50
BigT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I12 i8 Coupe / I01 i3 120Ah

Quote:
Originally Posted by docgaines View Post
Maybe they'll add speakers outside the electrics for a fake startup noise so you can still impress the kids.
I guess many answers here will look funny in ten years
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 03:23 PM   #51
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
I had an ActiveHybrid 3 in between the E92 M3 and F80

I'll admit, the only car I've ever owned that literally made the hair on my arms raise up, was my E92 M3 when I would punch it 0-7500rpm. Also, it felt so planted to the road. But some of this must be rose-colored glasses/memory. Because I sure do love my Model 3 Performance, and it's a wonderful daily driver.
I manage a shop that works on a lot of BMWs, I get the chance to drive customer vehicles daily and have driven dozens of E92 M3s ever since selling mine. It's certainly not the best car for everybody and it's pretty slow by today's standards but it's still an excellent vehicle for fun in the types of bumpy, twisty roads we have in SoCal! The majority of them on the road now feel like crap since they have so many worn out parts but the few that are in like-new condition are really special to me. I feel like I'll forget about my F80 pretty quickly.
Appreciate 1
SamS865.50
      03-18-2020, 03:37 PM   #52
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
I manage a shop that works on a lot of BMWs, I get the chance to drive customer vehicles daily and have driven dozens of E92 M3s ever since selling mine. It's certainly not the best car for everybody and it's pretty slow by today's standards but it's still an excellent vehicle for fun in the types of bumpy, twisty roads we have in SoCal! The majority of them on the road now feel like crap since they have so many worn out parts but the few that are in like-new condition are really special to me. I feel like I'll forget about my F80 pretty quickly.
That's the thing, people do all these mods but never maintain the suspension. People drive my E38 and are amazed at how well it drives. Thats because every single suspension part you can change I have updated.

Its so overlooked but makes such a difference.
      03-18-2020, 11:46 PM   #53
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
That's the thing, people do all these mods but never maintain the suspension. People drive my E38 and are amazed at how well it drives. Thats because every single suspension part you can change I have updated.

Its so overlooked but makes such a difference.
I agree, we're all supposedly buying these M cars for their handling and yet 90% of the older ones are in absolutely TRASH condition and I'm wondering if the owners really think theirs is an example of what the hype was all about.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 12:55 PM   #54
gmag
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Furthermore, its all speculative - its just as example. BMW could just as easily call the model something else while still using the S68 engine. There are any number of possibilities. The bottom line is that I strongly believe the G70 will not be a V8-free model, and I'll bet you don't believe it will be either.
I've heard that the 750i is likely to be replaced by a B58-based PHEV while the M760i will be replaced by an N63-based PHEV (same drivetrain that will power the middle X8 model). Top G70 model will be i7 BEV.

All three BMW X8 variants will be plug-in hybrids: base model with B58 PHEV drivetrain, middle model with N63 PHEV drivetrain, and X8 M with new S68 PHEV drivetrain.
Appreciate 0