BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-18-2020, 09:39 AM   #1
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Lowest profile roof rack. Thule or Yakima?

I have a F15 M Sport with the flush rail. I'm looking for the lowest profile roof rack system as I don't have a huge amount of clearance with my garage door. I've found some threads on this, but most are for the OEM rack or the raised rails, which I dont have.

I don't want to run the OEM rack as they sit too high and aren't wide enough. I need at minimum a 60" cross bar, so I've been looking at the Thule Evo Flush or Yakima Ridgeline.

Anyone have one of these on flush rails that they can measure, or another option that offers a 60" crossbar?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 08:38 PM   #2
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2one8 View Post
I have a F15 M Sport with the flush rail. I'm looking for the lowest profile roof rack system as I don't have a huge amount of clearance with my garage door. I've found some threads on this, but most are for the OEM rack or the raised rails, which I dont have.

I don't want to run the OEM rack as they sit too high and aren't wide enough. I need at minimum a 60" cross bar, so I've been looking at the Thule Evo Flush or Yakima Ridgeline.

Anyone have one of these on flush rails that they can measure, or another option that offers a 60" crossbar?
I have some Thules on. What exactly is you need to know?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 04:49 PM   #3
MizikeTSK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 XDrive 50i MSport

I have the Thule Aeroblade Edge so different than the Evo Flush. I couldn't find the dimension on the Evo but know that that feet for Yakima Ridgeline are 3.5" tall. So maybe when all said and done it'll be 4.5" added to roof rail? Eye balling pictures online it looks like Thule maybe slightly shorter than the Yakima.
      03-20-2020, 09:12 PM   #4
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizikeTSK View Post
I have the Thule Aeroblade Edge so different than the Evo Flush. I couldn't find the dimension on the Evo but know that that feet for Yakima Ridgeline are 3.5" tall. So maybe when all said and done it'll be 4.5" added to roof rail? Eye balling pictures online it looks like Thule maybe slightly shorter than the Yakima.
I believe so too. I like my Thules. I was afraid at first I'd have problem with sunroof clearance haha 😅

Either way, they are better than the OEMs. OEMs are too high.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 10:45 PM   #5
Hellrot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M235i

I love my aero blades.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 05:44 PM   #6
Snesley Wipes
Rep
Drives: X5

Aeroblades for sure! Here is mine a while back.

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 07:52 AM   #7
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBBVTMxX View Post
I have some Thules on. What exactly is you need to know?
I was looking at the aeroblades at first because they sit much lower, but the usable area isnt wide enough. I need 60" of usable bar. Need to fit 2 kayaks side-by-side and hull up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizikeTSK View Post
I was kind of guessing this as well. Was hoping someone had a set on here to confirm.

I suppose I should just order a set and see. I go through REI and they have the best return policy out there, so if they are too high I can return/exchange them with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 08:11 AM   #8
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

I received a reply back from Yakima regarding the Ridgeline towers and Corebars.

"The ridgeLine tower with CoreBars would be about 5.25" from the bottom of tower on the rail to the top of the crossbar."

EDIT: And got a reply back from Rack Attack regarding the Thule Evo Flush.
"The Thule Evo Flush, Thule Square Bar and the Fit Kit 6007 assembled is at 3-3/4" in Height."

I ended up ordering the Yakima as it still has clearance with my garage. I found out to use the Thule system with their kayak outrigger you have to run square bars, and I don't want those.

Last edited by ///d; 03-24-2020 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 11:08 AM   #9
seniormints
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

look at SeaSucker as well. not sure what you are wanting to carry, but they have a great bike rack as well as surf/ski rack (plus you can take off and on super quick). rolled down the interstate with the bike on top at 100mph and it did not fly off.
Appreciate 0