BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-22-2020, 06:11 PM   #1
Goodfella10
Private
Rep
Drives: NA

F15 Night vision grills.

Hey, I’m looking at purchasing a set of black grills. I assume I need a different set of grills since I have night vision. RW Carbon can you assist? I believe I contacted your support but don’t remember if they had any night vision models in stock.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 07:03 PM   #2
jch1511
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 50i,750i,650i,GL63

You can use double slat black grilles from x5m with nv.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 07:24 PM   #3
Goodfella10
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch1511 View Post
Without any interference with the night vision view?

Happen to know any vendors?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 01:53 AM   #4
jch1511
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 50i,750i,650i,GL63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfella10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jch1511 View Post
Without any interference with the night vision view?

Happen to know any vendors?
X5m with nv. Check with dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 06:21 AM   #5
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfella10 View Post
Hey, I'm looking at purchasing a set of black grills. I assume I need a different set of grills since I have night vision. RW Carbon can you assist? I believe I contacted your support but don't remember if they had any night vision models in stock.

Thanks!
I did this to mine with the regular OEM Black Grilles and it works. Each grilles comes apart, so you'll be using the new OEM Black Grilles front pieces with your already installed Grilles back pieces. Visibility is not an issue and works perfectly. I took a risk and did it to mine and no issues. Just make sure you are careful with disassembly as you don't want to break any tabs during removal from vehicle and removal from the newly purchased Black Grilles.

What you have to do;

-Purchase OEM Black Grilles, single slot like yours. They have to be OEM! I do not know if knock offs come apart.

-Remove your Grilles from the car and carefully disassemble them, you will easily notice all the tabs so you can remove the front trim piece from the back trim piece on each individual grille.

-Do the same thing with the OEM Black Grilles.

-Now, swap your fronts. Slap the OEM Black Grilles front pieces onto your Original NV back pieces.

Voila, now you have Shinny Black grilles with your NV. It looks great, I don't understand why BMW makes us go through all this trouble for they can easily just sell them 😅
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
F15GorDe261.00
      03-25-2020, 08:51 AM   #6
Goodfella10
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBBVTMxX View Post
I did this to mine with the regular OEM Black Grilles and it works. Each grilles comes apart, so you'll be using the new OEM Black Grilles front pieces with your already installed Grilles back pieces. Visibility is not an issue and works perfectly. I took a risk and did it to mine and no issues. Just make sure you are careful with disassembly as you don't want to break any tabs during removal from vehicle and removal from the newly purchased Black Grilles.

What you have to do;

-Purchase OEM Black Grilles, single slot like yours. They have to be OEM! I do not know if knock offs come apart.

-Remove your Grilles from the car and carefully disassemble them, you will easily notice all the tabs so you can remove the front trim piece from the back trim piece on each individual grille.

-Now, swap your fronts. Slap the OEM Black Grilles front pieces onto your Original NV back pieces.

Voila, now you have Shinny Black grilles with your NV. It looks great, I don't understand why BMW makes us go through all this trouble for they can easily just sell them 😅
Thanks everyone! Ill look into doing this myself.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 12:13 AM   #7
Bure@
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW m5; 2016 BMW X6 xdriv

Try ind-distribution.com . I bought from them black grils + night vision for my f10 couple years ago
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 10:02 PM   #8
spyderdoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 35d. 2016 Porsche GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBBVTMxX View Post

What you have to do;

This is exactly what I did and it worked perfectly on my NV equipped F15d. Has held up fine for the 20k miles I have driven since I did this procedure.

As stated above, be very careful with the tabs when you are disassembling, they are quite fragile.
Appreciate 0