BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-21-2020, 08:23 PM   #1
PhillyX5M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015X5M

Android Unit Installed

Just installed a new Android unit from Ali express.

To my surprise fitment and quality is like OEM.
I love that not I have the option of different Navigation systems, Spotify and other.
It's a touch screen so the moment you touch anywhere it goes into Android screen and you can use the scroll wheel and steering buttons to control everything like with original system. When you touch radio or any other button on the console it goes back to original system. You can setup that car will start with android or original system.
Screen quality it so great and clear. I love that it's a black screen so no silver surround ring around it like on original screen.
Everything is plug and play. Easy setup.

I will use it for several days and will post more thoughts but so far I love it.
Attached Images

Last edited by PhillyX5M; 03-23-2020 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 2
F85MTuNED1620.50
musa419.00
      03-21-2020, 08:29 PM   #2
OP
SLS
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M40i

Please give us some feedback after couple days.
Especially how fast it's running, any freezing or lags. How fast is the touch screen respond.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 08:41 PM   #3
PhillyX5M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP View Post
Please give us some feedback after couple days.
Especially how fast it's running, any freezing or lags. How fast is the touch screen respond.
Thanks
Just by using it today I can say that there is no lag at all. Screen is responsive and scrolls without any delays. All the application run smoothly. I installed goodle maps, sygic, wase and they all work great when driving. I used my phone as wifi spot but unit has 4G too.
Sound is great, no static. Love the big screen for YouTube and movies
Appreciate 2
OP7.50
F85MTuNED1620.50
      03-22-2020, 04:39 AM   #4
rajindergill
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (F85), 328i (F30)

Garage List
Did you do the install yourself or get someone to do it for you?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 04:43 AM   #5
PhillyX5M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajindergill View Post
Did you do the install yourself or get someone to do it for you?
I installed it myself. You just need to remove the fiber optic cable from original harness and transfer to the android wiring. Everything else is plug and play.
Appreciate 1
F85MTuNED1620.50
      03-22-2020, 09:55 AM   #6
Elementality
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F85 BMW X5M

Do you lose any functionality at all?

Do you have a product link?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 10:12 AM   #7
PhillyX5M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elementality View Post
Do you lose any functionality at all?

Do you have a product link?
Everything original still works and you can use it and go between android and BMW without any issue.

For the Android sound you select AUX input under media but if you go back to original radio or other media everything plays as usual.

If you consider getting it I would contact the store first to ask any questions. Guy was really responsive. This is the same person/store that people on F15 forum.used.

Just give him your car info and he will tell exactly what unit u need.
Cant post a link to exact u it but you will find in in the store. Look for F15

Sorry If the link is against the forum rules. mods please delete if necessary.
carnavi Official Store
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dYUa7yk

Last edited by PhillyX5M; 03-22-2020 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 10:25 AM   #8
KCTiger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

If you wanted connectivity, how would you go about doing that? I guess I just am unsure as to how to add a device like that to a wireless account.

This looks very interesting. I have seen this before on other users but didn't want to get an extra wireless connection. I might just do that.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 12:35 PM   #9
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTiger View Post
If you wanted connectivity, how would you go about doing that? I guess I just am unsure as to how to add a device like that to a wireless account.

This looks very interesting. I have seen this before on other users but didn't want to get an extra wireless connection. I might just do that.

This is definitely the way to go. Had mines for quite some time and it's a win win with me. You lose absolutely nothing. All my mostly used app accounts are in there which frees up my phone. I dont just listen to music any, I let the videos play via YouTube. I even watched the superbowl on it.
Appreciate 1
musa419.00
      03-22-2020, 12:44 PM   #10
PhillyX5M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTiger View Post

You have 2 options with this particular unit:

Use a separate sim card from your cell provider to access data but this will be not free or
In my case I am just tethering from my cell. I have unlimited data plan so my unit just connects to my cell and all the Navigation apps, spotify, YouTube work.

So far I love this unit

Last edited by PhillyX5M; 03-22-2020 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 03:20 PM   #11
PhillyX5M
Lieutenant
Rep

Just realized that its possible to split screen and have 2 different applications running at the same time. I was able to have Waze and control Spotify with steering wheel controls. Cool.

So far I love it. Was waiting in line today and watched Discovery channel on Xfinity application.

Great thing that you can stay in original mode and live with it as usual or touch the screen and you are now in completely different thing. Load as many apps as you want.
Next step is to add a camera under my mirror so I can constantly record when the car is on. That unit has a special application for that.

Screen is responsive, no lag or issues. Can run different Navigation applications at the same time.

Car feels more modern now

Some pictures to show how different screens look like
Attached Images

Last edited by PhillyX5M; 03-23-2020 at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 06:59 PM   #12
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyX5M View Post
Just realized that its possible to split screen and have 2 different applications running at the same time. I was able to have Waze and control Spotify with steering wheel controls. Cool.

So far I love it. Was waiting in line today and watched Discovery channel on Xfinity application.

Great thing that you can stay in original mode and live with it as usual or touch the screen and you are now in completely different thing. Load as many apps as you want.
Next step is to add a camera under my mirror so I can constantly record when the car is on. That unit has a special application for that.

Screen is responsive, no lag or issues.

Do you have issues with hearing the directions from Waze or Google Maps? I know I do, I have to tackle that when it warms up
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 07:03 PM   #13
PhillyX5M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersixM View Post
Do you have issues with hearing the directions from Waze or Google Maps? I know I do, I have to tackle that when it warms up
No issue. I can definitely hear Google maps and Waze directions when I am listening to Spotify.
Maybe you need to play with voice adjustments on the android app.side. There is also voice adjustments in the unit settings I think.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 02:08 PM   #14
Bobby_Drake
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 X5M

Any issues with Bang/Olufsen sound quality?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 03:13 PM   #15
PhillyX5M
Lieutenant
Rep

I listen usually Spotify or Radio in my car and Spotify sounds the same if I connect to it using my phone via bluetooth or if I play it directly through the android system application.

We r using AUX sound with Android so there is probably somemloss in sound quality but nothing that would want me to return this unit or switch back to original unit.

I know they sell allot of these on Ali but if you want one make sure its higher 720 screen resolution and Android 9 or 10.

This unit has bigger internal memory so that's probably why its smoother with 0 delays.

Big plus is that you can control android functions with the scroll wheel or steering wheel same as original unit. Touch screen just a big bonus in this case.

Another day and nothing bad to report

If you guys interested in any particular option, setting or pictures let me know.
I will do my best to respond.

Took me a year to pull a trigger on the Android and so far no regrets.
Appreciate 2
      03-25-2020, 11:36 AM   #16
Googone20
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5, 2007 M6

Do they make this for iPhones? IOS??
2005 Ninja 636 Lime Green
Appreciate 1
F85MTuNED1620.50
      03-25-2020, 05:56 PM   #17
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersixM View Post
This is definitely the way to go. Had mines for quite some time and it's a win win with me. You lose absolutely nothing. All my mostly used app accounts are in there which frees up my phone. I dont just listen to music any, I let the videos play via YouTube. I even watched the superbowl on it.
Agreed. This is the equivalent of removing your desktop computer old display and replacing it with the latest curved touch screen display. The desktop computer itself stays the same so you lose nothing but gain a lot obviously! The new display is by itself a complete head unit running Android OS and apps. So essentially you now have two head units - the Android one and then the factory one which now displays through the Android unit.

Last edited by musa; 03-26-2020 at 12:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 10:05 AM   #18
Don't panic
Rep
Drives: White 07 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googone20 View Post
Do they make this for iPhones? IOS??
Yeah if they do make one could you link us to it? Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 11:29 AM   #19
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't panic View Post
Yeah if they do make one could you link us to it? Thank you!

No such thing as making this for iPhones or iOS as Apple holds their OS to their vest and is not open source like android is. BUT. You can use Carplay which would be more than enough for the iOS experience meanwhile having an Android experience as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 07:49 AM   #20
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

Every so often you learn something new about these units. So apparently for those that came in the game early, or depending on where you got yours from, theres certain glitches that are fixed with later MCU builds and firmware updates. Or if you figure out IFTTTs then you're good. Like in my case (and others) , when I use waze or google maps, I gets NO sounds alert etc. But volume of music drops as if an alert was made but I just couldn't hear it. You have to start the music app that came with the unit first, turn on Waze etc turn off music app ,then do whatever like spotify YouTube etc....unbelievable. Nothing that tasker cant do but , unbelievable.

Shout out to the F30 section. They have over 150 pages on this unit. Too much to learn
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 09:03 AM   #21
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Dang. This looks awesome.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 01:57 PM   #22
KCTiger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

I think I am going to pull the trigger on this. Hope you guys don't mind some questions lol.

I am not going to do the install myself though. Is there a link the installation instructions? My shop was asking for them.
Appreciate 0