BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-28-2020, 01:12 PM   #1
OSUF15
Rep
Drives: 2017 x5 35D

60k service question

I have a lease that's up in a few months and I recently passed the 60k mile mark. In that 60k service I'm told I have to change the spark plugs and diff and transfer case oil. There are other things too—which I can understand are needed. But the transfer and diff fluid oil and spark plugs I'm not sure of. I have even been told that changing these fluids too early can lead to more problems. On my last e70 x535d lease I went 70k miles and was never told these particular fluid changes were required. Are these fluid changes something I can be charged for if I don't do before turning it in or are these "recommended" fluid changes. The car is almost three years old, it's an f15 x5 35d. Don't mind the cost, it's just the timing is unfortunate being at the end of my lease.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 01:29 PM   #2
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

They want you to pay for these services before turning in the lease?
Appreciate 1
OSUF150.00
      03-28-2020, 01:35 PM   #3
OSUF15
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
They want you to pay for these services before turning in the lease?

I went in for an oil change and was told these are due. I just don't know if these are vital services BMW can charge me for if I don't do them when I turn it it in a couple months. The 60k service was labelled " preferred" service. I don't know whether to read that as "required" service. The dealer sounded like it was needed. Changing diff and transfer case fluid this early seems like it should not be absolutely necessary right now.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 01:59 PM   #4
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUF15 View Post
I went in for an oil change and was told these are due. I just don't know if these are vital services BMW can charge me for if I don't do them when I turn it it in a couple months. The 60k service was labelled " preferred" service. I don't know whether to read that as "required" service. The dealer sounded like it was needed. Changing diff and transfer case fluid this early seems like it should not be absolutely necessary right now.
Sounds like they just want to make some money off you. Just forget it and turn it in at lease end. I've never heard bmw charge a customer for maintenance at lease turn in.
Appreciate 1
OSUF150.00
      03-28-2020, 11:11 PM   #5
OSUF15
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Sounds like they just want to make some money off you. Just forget it and turn it in at lease end. I've never heard bmw charge a customer for maintenance at lease turn in.
Quote:
Quote:

That's what I was thinking. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 01:14 PM   #6
bmwx3805
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 cruze diesel and 2019 430I

Quote:
I have a lease that's up in a few months and I recently passed the 60k mile mark. In that 60k service I'm told I have to change the spark plugs and diff and transfer case oil. There are other things too—which I can understand are needed. But the transfer and diff fluid oil and spark plugs I'm not sure of. I have even been told that changing these fluids too early can lead to more problems. On my last e70 x535d lease I went 70k miles and was never told these particular fluid changes were required. Are these fluid changes something I can be charged for if I don't do before turning it in or are these "recommended" fluid changes. The car is almost three years old, it's an f15 x5 35d. Don't mind the cost, it's just the timing is unfortunate being at the end of my lease.
I got my front , rear diff, transfer case & trans fluid all done on my 14 x5 35i at 50,000 miles. If you owned it I would highly recommend getting these things done !
Appreciate 1
OSUF150.00
      03-29-2020, 01:54 PM   #7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmws

Check your lease contract as it may vary no one hear can give you a sure answer. Your lease contract may specify you have an obligation to maintain the vehicle to BMW specifications meaning simple things from a oil change every 10k miles to filters every 30k miles and 50k service spark plugs etc. Most for a lease normally don't go past the 30-45k mile coverage so they wouldn't need to worry about 50k services. Also transfer case fluid is definitely not part of BMW recommended service although we all change it down the road for bmw its considered "lifetime" so they shouldn't be charging you for that I would try another dealer for lease return.
Appreciate 1
OSUF150.00
      03-29-2020, 01:57 PM   #8
EdgyE36
Wisdom Searcher
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 and E46 M3

60K miles in three years? How many miles per year did you get on your lease? Sounds like a sizeable mileage penalty.

Sounds to me like BMW dealer is unhappy they won't make as much money on your returned lease as they usually do.
OSUF150.00