BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5M (F85) and X6M (F86) Forum

06-09-2017, 07:22 PM   #1
VGM6
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M & E63 M6

Question about larger size tires then stock for more comfort

Hello all,

So yesterday I ran into a fellow X6M owner who was parked next to me with a beautiful set of HRE S201's in 22". Now what I found odd at first glance was his tires were pretty thick so I was confused as to what size he was running. Took a glance and saw that in the fronts he is running 285/40/22 and rears were 325/35/22. The stock tire size for 20" are 285/40/20 front and 325/35/20 rears, and for 21" 285/35/21 front and 325/30/21 rears if I'm not mistaken (I have 20's so i could be wrong on the 21's).

When the owner came back to his car I asked him if he ever ran into any issues using larger tires then recommended as I would assume for 22"s you would need to run 285/30/22 front and 325/25/22. He stated that in the rears he has no issues obviously because they aren't used for turning. But that in the fronts he had rubbing issues on the inside of the wheel while turning but used spacers (I should've asked what size but looked like 5-10mm). His english was broken and I didn't want to take any more of his time but I never had a chance to ask him if his speedo might show that his speed is showing different then his actual speed since in theory if you run larger tires i would assume your speedo would read for example 55mph while your actual speed could be around 60mph or higher. Also if it would affect your cruise control functioning properly. In my M6 i switched to 295/30/19 instead of the stock 285/35/19 for the rear but kept the stock fronts at 245/40/19 which had issues initializing the cruise control as the rears were rotating at a different rate in the rear so once I wore out the tires i returned back to stock sizing in the rears and the issue was resolved.

Having thicker tires would be great with a larger rim since the 20's drive much softer then the 21's which have thicker tires. Also they look a lot nicer as the stock sizes don't really look so proportioned and look a bit small. The GLE 63 for example runs much larger rims and tires stock and fits nicely and proportionally to the vehicles size which would be nice to match in the X6M or X5M.

So the reason I am asking is because I would love to eventually purchase 21's or even 22's but keep a thick tire on so that I could drive much more comfortably as there are many potholes and rough roads as everyone else here probably has experienced. If anyone could chime in with there thoughts as to if this would affect the speedo, or cruise I would greatly appreciate it. Speedo reading isn't a major issue as you could just adjust your speed unless you can somehow recalibrate the car to understand that its using a larger tire but losing function of your cruise control would suck for long drives. Also in regards to the spacer needed knowing proper offsets accounting for the larger sized tire when custom ordering rims would solve that issue as they could just account for the extra space needed for the rim to be pushed away from the side wall of the wheel well and not rub against any plastic.

Thanks in advance

-V
      06-11-2017, 04:55 PM   #2
lv42day
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

All I have to say is, if you feel the ride is harsh, check you tire pressure......it can make a dramatic difference and it's alot cheaper than buying rim/tires....
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 12:39 AM   #3
VGM6
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv42day View Post
All I have to say is, if you feel the ride is harsh, check you tire pressure......it can make a dramatic difference and it's alot cheaper than buying rim/tires....
First off thank you for being the only one to reply haha. But then again I probably haven't gotten many replies since my initial post is probably so long....

Guys.

I should have clarified why I want to go with a new set of rims. My X6M was equipped with the 20" 611M wheels which are pretty much the winter setup with staggered offsets. I like the comfort of the 20"s since they have a meatier tire then the 21"s. But I would like to keep the 20"s for the winter and get a set of 21's or 22's for the summer but trying to see if going w fatter tires would keep the cruise control function and not run into any other issues besides the speedo most likely reading slightly off since there is an obvious size difference.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 06:56 AM   #4
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGM6 View Post
Quote:
First off thank you for being the only one to reply haha. But then again I probably haven't gotten many replies since my initial post is probably so long....

Guys.

I should have clarified why I want to go with a new set of rims. My X6M was equipped with the 20" 611M wheels which are pretty much the winter setup with staggered offsets. I like the comfort of the 20"s since they have a meatier tire then the 21"s. But I would like to keep the 20"s for the winter and get a set of 21's or 22's for the summer but trying to see if going w fatter tires would keep the cruise control function and not run into any other issues besides the speedo most likely reading slightly off since there is an obvious size difference.
The winter 611 set runs a 285 rear tire on a narrower rim. The summer set runs a 325 rear tire on a wider rim.

Depending how much snow you get, 325 (or more likely 315, if you swap out) can be tricky in the winter.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 11:39 AM   #5
VGM6
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Ok guys it doesn't seem like the topic is very clear.

Im not talking about winter tires. I am talking about running larger/taller sidewall on rims.

Long story short I saw an X6M driver running 22" on 285/40/22 front 325/35/22 rear. The important numbers are the fact that its a 22" rim with 40 and 35 and not the recommended 30 and 25 for 22" on the sidewalls. I want to run 21's or 22's and use a taller sidewall and I'm wondering what the issues I will run into are.

Thanks again for any help.
      06-14-2017, 01:51 PM   #6
trev230
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

You are not really supposed to deviate from the factory tire height and/or rolling diameter. A lot of things are related to the mechanical design are directly connected to that oem tire size. Speed sensors, transmission related components, traction control related items, literally a laundry list of stuff would be thrown off caliber. I'm almost certain that with AWD it's even more of an issue. You ever notice the warnings about replacing only one or two tires on an AWD vehicle? That's why. Just the difference in tire tread depth can make things a little goofy.

I wouldn't go as far to say that it will tear up any components as long as the difference isn't too drastic but it definitely will cause a few sensors or such to be off.

That's why when you increase the wheel diameter you offset it with smaller profile/sidewall tires.

If someone wanted a larger sidewall to add more comfort they should be looking at going smaller on wheel/rim size first to compensate for the larger than OEM profile/sidewall tire.

There are websites where you can play with the sizing to get it right.
Appreciate 1
ajob454.50
      06-14-2017, 05:56 PM   #7
VGM6
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Thank you for your response. This was exactly what I was wondering. I have always understood that when down sizing rims you have to upsize tires and vice versa. I just wanted to make sure that it would or wouldn't throw off the car in any way possible. Sadly I wish we had a little more meat on our tires when going with the stock size tires for 21" but I think that's as large as I would go with such horrible roads in Toronto. I hope the owner I ran into doesn't have any issues with his 22"s and those tires.

Thanks again for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev230 View Post
You are not really supposed to deviate from the factory tire height and/or rolling diameter. A lot of things are related to the mechanical design are directly connected to that oem tire size. Speed sensors, transmission related components, traction control related items, literally a laundry list of stuff would be thrown off caliber. I'm almost certain that with AWD it's even more of an issue. You ever notice the warnings about replacing only one or two tires on an AWD vehicle? That's why. Just the difference in tire tread depth can make things a little goofy.

I wouldn't go as far to say that it will tear up any components as long as the difference isn't too drastic but it definitely will cause a few sensors or such to be off.

That's why when you increase the wheel diameter you offset it with smaller profile/sidewall tires.

If someone wanted a larger sidewall to add more comfort they should be looking at going smaller on wheel/rim size first to compensate for the larger than OEM profile/sidewall tire.

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 08:06 PM   #8
Mrjjbmwx5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2104 x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGM6 View Post
Thank you for your response. This was exactly what I was wondering. I have always understood that when down sizing rims you have to upsize tires and vice versa. I just wanted to make sure that it would or wouldn't throw off the car in any way possible. Sadly I wish we had a little more meat on our tires when going with the stock size tires for 21" but I think that's as large as I would go with such horrible roads in Toronto. I hope the owner I ran into doesn't have any issues with his 22"s and those tires.

Thanks again for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev230 View Post

Has anyone ran 285/40 on a 21 inch wheel? that's almost an inch taller in diameter but it would fill the fender out better I bet
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 10:19 AM   #9
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

I recommend to respect the established tire sizes for 20 or 21" rims, because a lot of engineering choices are predicated on keeping the overall rim+tire diameter constant.

I switched from 20" Pirellis to 21" Michelins and found the ride softness unchanged but road holding mightily improved: the tire manufacturer may be as important as the rim size.

Most important, if you deviate from the recommended tire pressures, maintain the front to rear pressure relationship, because the car's over- and understeering behaviour is very sensitive to it.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 11:42 AM   #10
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw X6M

Must admit it looks better like that.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 08:47 PM   #11
Lighting.Grey
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M // E53 X5 4.8is

Garage List
2016 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2005 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:

Hmm, interesting point.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 06:49 AM   #12
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

Just feel like you'll run into problems either way.
Bigger tires over recommendation? Possible gear damage.
Lower air pressure in thinner factory setup? Possible rim damage and blowout. I see the only option is staying within recommended specs. But I still like how it looks w oversized tire. Conflicted.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 11:44 AM   #13
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Garage List
Well, it's been a couple years since this thread was started..... would be interesting to hear if anyone running those taller tire combos have had any problems.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 12:14 PM   #14
F3085258
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

I too have been looking at different sizes than stock for my Summer set. I would like to go with all seasons as I am in construction industry and end up in gravel and mud occasionally. My winters are 285/40R20 Pirelli Scorpion Winters (worn out). Current summers are stock 21" with Pilot sports.

I was looking at going with a square 295/40R20 Conti DWS all around.Half an inch taller diameter. And still running a separate set of winters. Any thoughts on the fronts rubbing with these?
Other option I was looking at is the DWS in 275/45R20 square for summer.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 09:47 PM   #15
F3085258
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmr View Post
Well, it's been a couple years since this thread was started..... would be interesting to hear if anyone running those taller tire combos have had any problems.
For what it's worth, I have about 100 miles on it now. No issues with any warning lights since the front and rear tire diameters are within 1% tolerance. Just a slight run to the front inner fender when at full lock. It's minor not a big deal. Better stability at speed and cornering limits seem to have increased with less twitch at the limit. Ride is so much better in any suspension mode. Looks much better as the tires fill out the wheel wells. So far I'm a happy camper! Running 315-40-21 rear and 275-45-21 front.

I like the look of the bigger side walls to fill the gap.

Trying to decide on a square set up. 295/40r21 or 285/40r21. Worried about rubbing.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 12:50 AM   #16
Herofmine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3, F10535i, 15 M5,340i,X5M

Garage List
2015 X5M  [10.00]
Hi,

does your car lowered or stock hight? need tires but not sure what size to get, I really want sport 4s but Michelin don't have it stock sizes. How does it feel in high speeds isn't bouncy compare to stock tires?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 01:04 PM   #17
jonM511
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 640i GC

Hey Zip22 can we have an update?

Any lights or weird behavior...i actually want to run the exact same setup
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 06:36 AM   #18
640ijims
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M , 14%E2%80%99640i ver

Garage List
2018 X5///M  [7.50]
2018 BMW  [0.00]
Zip, an update would be great. I think we're all seeking a bit softer ride, filling out wheel wells, maintaining handling and as they say " go to school " on someone. You are school. What are rim widths of your 21's?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 07:26 AM   #19
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

What would be the equivalent of that setup in 22s? If I could getaway with bigger wheels, softer ride, smaller fender gap without lowering, that's a win win win in my eyes.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 02:52 PM   #20
640ijims
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M , 14%E2%80%99640i ver

Garage List
2018 X5///M  [7.50]
2018 BMW  [0.00]
Thanks for update. Not sure how comfortable I am moving wheel bearing loads that far out. Blisters look like those one might obtain at Laguna Seca doing a few laps......
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 01:36 AM   #21
jonM511
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 640i GC

Hey @zipp 3 follow up questions of you dont mind.

1. Do you have a pic of the after....a shot of that suspension clearance after the space

2. If you ran a square setup instead of staggered would you need the space still? 275/45/21 all around or similar 265/40/21?

3. What size front amd rear rim do you have? 9.5/10.5/11.5??
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 04:49 PM   #22
bigshadi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip22 View Post
For what it’s worth, I have about 100 miles on it now. No issues with any warning lights since the front and rear tire diameters are within 1% tolerance. Just a slight run to the front inner fender when at full lock. It’s minor not a big deal. Better stability at speed and cornering limits seem to have increased with less twitch at the limit. Ride is so much better in any suspension mode. Looks much better as the tires fill out the wheel wells. So far I’m a happy camper! Running 315-40-21 rear and 275-45-21 front.
I am thinking of running your exact setup on my X6, the run-flat low-profile 20s are extremely stiff. Where and how did you get your rims?
Appreciate 0