BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-30-2020, 08:20 AM   #353
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

If it's something non-perishable, we just let it sit for a day or two, including mail. From what I've read, the virus can only exist for about 24hrs on cardboard. On Saturday we got a package with some perishables. The Fedex driver said he sprayed it down, but I had him just set it on the floor of the garage and thanked him for the delivery. Then I wore work gloves to bring it to the door of the mud room and opened the outer package. Wifey grabbed the three inner packages, which had been in that box for more than 24hrs, and brought them inside. Washing your hands afterward is the big key here.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8209.00
      03-30-2020, 08:26 AM   #354
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Our Governor just put out some shopping guidelines that are pretty straightforward except for the rule about not using re-usable bags. I still don't understand that one. Those bags are no more likely to have the virus on them than your clothing. And since this started, we've been washing our re-usable bags after every trip (although there have only been 3 trips). I'm more concerned with someone touching or sneezing on the store bag that is now next in line for me. Plus we used the re-usables to carry the groceries we need instead of a cart or basket. I literally didn't have to touch anything in the store except the groceries themselves and the damn checkout touch screen.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 08:35 AM   #355
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Our Governor just put out some shopping guidelines that are pretty straightforward except for the rule about not using re-usable bags. I still don't understand that one. Those bags are no more likely to have the virus on them than your clothing. And since this started, we've been washing our re-usable bags after every trip (although there have only been 3 trips). I'm more concerned with someone touching or sneezing on the store bag that is now next in line for me. Plus we used the re-usables to carry the groceries we need instead of a cart or basket. I literally didn't have to touch anything in the store except the groceries themselves and the damn checkout touch screen.
The problem I have with reusable bags is that I suspect a lot of people never wash them based on what they look like in the store. You are doing the right think but most people sling them into the baskets and go about their business and I'm not sure they ever think about washing them. Then the grocery store worker picks it up, then touches the next person's stuff and so on... Since the coronavirus can survive on both the reusable bag and the plastic bag, the risk to the grocery worker (and those he / she later serves) is theoretically higher on the reusable bag than the plastic bags contained in a controlled environment. Yes, you can eliminate the risk by washing, but there is no way to confirm they have been washed. I think that's all there is to the bans.
      03-30-2020, 08:38 AM   #356
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

True enough. We rarely use the normal checkout lines with cashiers, so I wasn't thinking along those lines. I can see where that would be a concern with them. Point taken.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410968.00
      03-30-2020, 09:26 AM   #357
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
We were able to get TP this morning for the first time in about a month. Pretty ridiculous!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 09:49 AM   #358
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Just ordered some Dude Wipes. Now I just need more paper towels as I'm down to about 2 virgin rolls, and maybe 3 partial rolls in service.
Attached Images

03-30-2020, 01:15 PM   #359
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Down to danger level of tp, and no plants have leaves yet. Since Sears doesn't send a catalog any longer I need a source. Any place I can order online or do I have to brave the zombies?
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615211.00
      03-30-2020, 02:15 PM   #360
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
Down to danger level of tp, and no plants have leaves yet. Since Sears doesn't send a catalog any longer I need a source. Any place I can order online or do I have to brave the zombies?
Buy Dude Wipes?
      03-30-2020, 02:28 PM   #361
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Walmart, Amazon, Target etc they pretty much all delivery either directly or through a 3rd party service. We have managed to pretty much have everything we need delivered so far. Havent been to the store in like a month. May not have the brand you like, but beggars can't be choosers. I got a family pack of that scotts 1 ply crap which I hate, but that's all they had and at least we are set for a while.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 02:38 PM   #362
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Quote:
Walmart, Amazon, Target etc they pretty much all delivery either directly or through a 3rd party service. We have managed to pretty much have everything we need delivered so far. Havent been to the store in like a month. May not have the brand you like, but beggars can't be choosers. I got a family pack of that scotts 1 ply crap which I hate, but that's all they had and at least we are set for a while.
I haven't been shopping for TP, but it's been pretty much impossible to buy flushable wipes or paper towels from any of those sources... At least around here. I hear tales of success from people showing up at stores first thing in the morning.
      03-30-2020, 02:40 PM   #363
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
I haven't been shopping for TP, but it's been pretty much impossible to buy flushable wipes or paper towels from any of those sources... At least around here. I hear tales of success from people showing up at stores first thing in the morning.
Got like an 8 pack of bounty paper towels just a couple days ago from Amazon. You do have to be looking though.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 02:42 PM   #364
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Quote:
Got like an 8 pack of bounty paper towels just a couple days ago from Amazon. You do have to be looking though.
I've been looking daily... Actually, I still am. Often they show inventory until I go to check out. Then nothing.
Care to share a screenshot of a recently-completed sale?
      03-30-2020, 02:48 PM   #365
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've been looking daily... Actually, I still am. Often they show inventory until I go to check out. Then nothing.
Care to share a screenshot of a recently-completed sale?
I don't know what to tell you. Only thing I ordered was the paper towels because I happened to see them when browsing. My gf has ordered everything else through walmart, wholefoods etc. I think she uses instacart.

Appreciate 1
      03-30-2020, 02:50 PM   #366
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

I've tried literally every where I can think with no luck. I do still have a decent amount of Kirkland wipes but being on septic we have to use sparingly.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 02:56 PM   #367
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
Guys how often do you shit/do you have a family of 13?
Horrible question, yes, but how are you all out of TP when this is barely 2 weeks old news at this point?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 03:00 PM   #368
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
If it's something non-perishable, we just let it sit for a day or two, including mail. From what I've read, the virus can only exist for about 24hrs on cardboard. On Saturday we got a package with some perishables. The Fedex driver said he sprayed it down, but I had him just set it on the floor of the garage and thanked him for the delivery. Then I wore work gloves to bring it to the door of the mud room and opened the outer package. Wifey grabbed the three inner packages, which had been in that box for more than 24hrs, and brought them inside. Washing your hands afterward is the big key here.
I have to say, this level of caution and package isolation seems rather extreme. Are you going to do this for another year or more because this virus is with us for the long haul. Hand washing is good practice when handling most anything and should be done, virus or not. So much fear is driving people to extremes though. The chances are most of us will eventually get it in the end.
      03-30-2020, 03:08 PM   #369
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
Guys how often do you shit/do you have a family of 13?
Horrible question, yes, but how are you all out of TP when this is barely 2 weeks old news at this point?
Been almost 1 month since we haven't been able to find any. I don't live in a city so it takes a while for stuff to be restocked. We buy 12 rolls at a time and had 9 left at the start. Have 4 now.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 03:10 PM   #370
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
We did something totally crazy and reckless when COVID-geddon first started. There is now a shiny commercial paper towel dispenser hanging on our kitchen wall. We usually go through a roll per day of the household rolls, but have not yet even made a visible dent in the first commercial dispenser roll after three days and even heavier post-hand wash use. Should have done it years ago.....
      03-30-2020, 03:26 PM   #371
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I have to say, this level of caution and package isolation seems rather extreme. Are you going to do this for another year or more because this virus is with us for the long haul. Hand washing is good practice when handling most anything and should be done, virus or not. So much fear is driving people to extremes though. The chances are most of us will eventually get it in the end.
It's no big deal, really. Already a habit. 95% of our mail is junk anyway and almost anything we order online can wait a day or so. I agree, we're all bound to get this thing one day. I just want to do what we can to avoid being part of the curve when it's peaking.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 03:32 PM   #372
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I've been able to find both TP and Bounty at Walmart but you need to check like 10x / day. Then FedEx loses the TP shipment...
      03-30-2020, 03:35 PM   #373
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Then FedEx loses the TP shipment...
"Loses". Right. It fell off the truck. Right.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410968.00
      03-30-2020, 03:37 PM   #374
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
"Loses". Right. It fell off the truck. Right.
Exactly. To be precise, they said it was damaged. Its toilet paper so unless they got it wet or set it on fire, not sure how the package was too damaged to deliver.