BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

03-30-2020, 09:37 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BMW i Hydrogen NEXT Reaffirms Hydrogen Fuel Cell Development at BMW

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW i Hydrogen NEXT Reaffirms Hydrogen Fuel Cell Development at BMW
COMMENTS
Name:  BMW i Hydrogen NEXT.png
Views: 5789
Size:  1.53 MB

The powertrain for the BMW i Hydrogen NEXT: BMW Group reaffirms its ongoing commitment to hydrogen fuel cell technology.

March 30, 2020

Munich.
Developing alternative powertrain technologies is a top priority for the BMW Group. The premium carmaker offers first virtual insights into the powertrain system for the BMW i Hydrogen NEXT and reaffirms its commitment to following a carefully considered and systematic route to emission-free mobility. This approach also includes the careful consideration of differing market and customer requirements as part of the company’s Power of Choice strategy. Customer centricity and the flexibility needed for this are essential in facilitating the breakthrough for sustainable mobility on the global stage.

Klaus Fröhlich, Member of the Board of Management of BMW AG, Research and Development (click here to watch the video statement): “We are convinced that various alternative powertrain systems will exist alongside one another in future, as there is no single solution that addresses the full spectrum of customers’ mobility requirements worldwide. The hydrogen fuel cell technology could quite feasibly become the fourth pillar of our powertrain portfolio in the long term. The upper-end models in our extremely popular X family would make particularly suitable candidates here.” The BMW Group has been working with the Toyota Motor Corporation on fuel cell technology since 2013.

Future prospects for hydrogen fuel cell technology.

Although the BMW Group has no doubt as to the long-term potential of fuel cell powertrain systems, it will be some time before the company offers its customers a production car powered by hydrogen fuel cell technology. This is primarily due to the fact that the right framework conditions are not yet in place. “In our view, hydrogen as energy carrier must first be produced in sufficient quantities at a competitive price using green electricity. Hydrogen will then be used primarily in applications that cannot be directly electrified, such as long-distance heavy duty transport,” said Klaus Fröhlich. The requisite infrastructure, such as an extensive, Europe-wide network of hydrogen filling stations, is also lacking at present. However, the BMW Group is pressing ahead with its development work in the field of hydrogen fuel cell technology. The company is using the time until the infrastructure and sustainably produced hydrogen supply are in place to substantially reduce the cost of manufacturing the powertrain system. The BMW Group is already bringing battery electric vehicles to market with sustainable energy and will soon be offering its customers a wide range of electrified vehicles. A total of 25 models are slated for launch by 2023, including at least twelve with an all-electric powertrain.

Initial technical details of the powertrain for the BMW i Hydrogen NEXT.

“The fuel cell system for the powertrain for the BMW i Hydrogen NEXT generates up to 125 kW (170 hp) of electric energy from the chemical reaction between hydrogen and oxygen from the ambient air,” explains Jürgen Guldner, Vice President of Hydrogen Fuel Cell Technology and Vehicle Projects at the BMW Group. This means the vehicle emits nothing but water vapour. The electric converter located underneath the fuel cell adapts the voltage level to that of both the electric powertrain and the peak power battery, which is fed by brake energy as well as the energy from the fuel cell. The vehicle also accommodates a pair of 700 bar tanks that can together hold six kilograms of hydrogen. “This guarantees a long range regardless of the weather conditions,” notes Guldner. “And refuelling only takes three to four minutes.” The fifth-generation eDrive unit set to make its debut in the BMW iX3 is also fully integrated into the BMW i Hydrogen NEXT. The peak power battery positioned above the electric motor injects an extra dose of dynamics when overtaking or accelerating. The total system output of 275 kW (374 hp) fuels the typical driving dynamics for which BMW is renowned. This hydrogen fuel cell electric powertrain will be piloted in a small series based on the current BMW X5 that the BMW Group plans to present in 2022. A customer offer powered by hydrogen fuel cell technology will be brought to market at the earliest in the second half of this decade by the BMW Group, depending on the global market conditions and requirements.

Collaboration with Toyota continues.

To ensure it is ideally prepared to meet the technological demands of a hydrogen-powered fuel cell vehicle by the second half of this decade, the BMW Group is teaming up with the Toyota Motor Corporation as part of a successful partnership that dates back to 2013. The two manufacturers have joined forces to work on fuel cell powertrain systems and scalable, modular components for hydrogen fuel cell vehicles under a product development cooperation agreement. Fuel cells from the cooperation with Toyota will be deployed in the BMW i Hydrogen NEXT, alongside a fuel cell stack and overall system developed by the BMW Group. As well as partnering on the development and industrialisation of fuel cell technology for the mass market, the two companies are also founding members of the Hydrogen Council. A wealth of other leading companies in the energy, transport and industrial sectors have joined the Hydrogen Council since 2017, swelling its ranks to over 80 members.

BMW Group is involved in the BRYSON research project.

The BMW Group’s participation in the research project BRYSON (a German acronym for ‘space-efficient hydrogen storage tanks with optimised usability’) underlines its faith in the future viability and potential of hydrogen fuel cell technology. This alliance between BMW AG, Munich University of Applied Sciences, Leichtbauzentrum Sachsen GmbH, the Technical University of Dresden and WELA Handelsgesellschaft mbH seeks to develop pioneering high-pressure hydrogen storage tanks. These are to be designed to allow easy integration into future universal vehicle architectures. The project aims to develop tanks with a flat design. Set to run for a period of three-and-a-half years and with funding from the Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy, this project will also help to lower the cost of manufacturing hydrogen tanks for fuel cell vehicles, enabling them to compete effectively with battery electric vehicles.

BMW Hydrogen Technology

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 1
Tenac4504.50
      03-30-2020, 11:43 AM   #2
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I believe this is the ultimate solution but countries have to figure out how to solve the hydrogen supply problems.
Appreciate 5
BMWZ41904.00
cncmastr1568.50
Tenac4504.50
      03-30-2020, 11:45 AM   #3
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

This looks great. Is BMW going back to sensible grilles? I see it's the same size but works well in this look. Glad to see hydrogen coming back--it is a superior fuel and successfully addresses range issues. Here in Canada, it simply not possible to drive between cities if BEVs get even remotely popular.
      03-30-2020, 11:47 AM   #4
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

was thinking about the same thing when I saw that grill. interesting. still looks large then previous model though. with all these things, range range range

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 12:03 PM   #5
cwulffy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Would be really awesome. The fuel cell cars on the market today look horrendous (looking at you, Nexo).
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 12:06 PM   #6
Ragged Edge
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16F80,TR6,Defender,PA23-250T

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
There is only a pair of driven wheels in the drivetrain mock-up. It is either front wheel drive (yuck!), or rear wheel drive (yay!).... unfortunately this example will likely be Front wheel drive. :

I like the idea of hydrogen as opposed to batteries. I just need to know what the 'feel' will be like... will it be as heavy and cumbersome as a battery electric car, or will it be agile and nimble like a lightweight ice car? If it's BMW, the sporty models need to be rear wheel drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 12:15 PM   #7
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

I'm very interested to see where any of this goes.

Sometimes you can lose a race just by not showing up, and battery electric vehicles are WAY ahead in terms of infrastructure. By the time any of this tech gets to the consumer level, it may just be too late.
      03-30-2020, 12:34 PM   #8
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I believe this is the ultimate solution but countries have to figure out how to solve the hydrogen supply problems.
Agreed
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 12:48 PM   #9
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

BMW is all over the map with their strategies. ICE, BEV, PHEV and now FCEV.

Let’s be realistic here - there will never be hydrogen infrastructure in place to support consumer light duty vehicles. As such, this strategy is DOA and BMW looks be wasting millions here.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 12:57 PM   #10
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
BMW is all over the map with their strategies. ICE, BEV, PHEV and now FCEV.

Let’s be realistic here - there will never be hydrogen infrastructure in place to support consumer light duty vehicles. As such, this strategy is DOA and BMW looks be wasting millions here.
That was mostly my feeling as well, but I'll never be mad about money spent on tech. I'm just glad it's not my money being spent on it.
      03-30-2020, 01:06 PM   #11
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
BMW is all over the map with their strategies. ICE, BEV, PHEV and now hydrogen.

Let's be realistic here - there will never be hydrogen infrastructure in place to support consumer light duty vehicles. As such, this strategy is DOA and BMW looks be wasting millions here.
Not sure they are completely wrong here...check out Hyundai, they are working since 2002 intesive on hydrogen technology, and are actually starting to sell a lot of hydrogen trucks and busses and are lounching their first consumer cars...they even are building house supply hydrogen packs like tesla with their batteries...

So I see it at the very beginning and as you get more and more infrastructure for industry use, they also will become more and more available for consumers...

We need other options than BEV and specially a replacement for ICE...especially for markets in the world, where you will never have good and realistic charging infrastructure.

I still believe BEVs are not going to be the "final ICE replacment solution", so good to see there is competition on this technology
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 01:08 PM   #12
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

THIS is the future. EV was just a way to advance our motor tech and make this more efficient.
      03-30-2020, 01:23 PM   #13
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
THIS is the future. EV was just a way to advance our motor tech and make this more efficient.
hydrogen is an EV solution. It just replaces the battery pack with the hydrogen which is then processed to create electricity which is what drives the wheels. That is why many call current EV models "BEVs" or "battery electric vehicles". Thus, once we get hydrogen refueling stations, it will likely become the electric vehicle of choice for most uses.
Appreciate 1
mkoesel7505.50
      03-30-2020, 01:40 PM   #14
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
hydrogen is an EV solution. It just replaces the battery pack with the hydrogen which is then processed to create electricity which is what drives the wheels. That is why many call current EV models "BEVs" or "battery electric vehicles". Thus, once we get hydrogen refueling stations, it will likely become the electric vehicle of choice for most uses.
So we agree then. Good to hear.
      03-30-2020, 02:20 PM   #15
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Fool-Cells... PSH ‼️
Attached Images

03-30-2020, 02:26 PM   #16
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
makes sense to me.if you take away the hideous grille concept bmws are very desirable
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 02:27 PM   #17
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

I can't imagine why BMW would ever waste time on such a technology. It's going nowhere, it's dangerous (see the station failure in Norway), and the energy is cumbersome to store and use.

Every dollar BMW puts to this technology will go to zero.
Appreciate 3
///M TOWN13117.00
SamS865.50
BigHunk269.50
      03-30-2020, 02:57 PM   #18
ron_jeremy
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 13' F25 X3 20d & 16' i3

Hydrogen makes sense on heavy vehicles, trains, trucks or boats. It takes 3-4 minutes to refill, and have a longer range than current EV. NEL is currenly making a pilot hydrogen station. A Contract is Signed and about 400 stations are coming up in the US. Hydrogen is coming, very green ways to make it, using Solar and/or wind.
Appreciate 1
mkoesel7505.50
      03-30-2020, 03:07 PM   #19
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ZCP, F85, E70, G07

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [0.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
Yes! This is where it's at.
      03-30-2020, 03:31 PM   #20
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soterios View Post
That was mostly my feeling as well, but I'll never be mad about money spent on tech. I'm just glad it's not my money being spent on it.
BMW AG would get better ROI if they took every dollar they’re spending on Hydrogen Fuel Cell and dumped it into battery technology.

Every country BMW sells cars into has electricity. What are the chances we’ll ever have hydrogen fueling in Hallbergmoos?
Appreciate 1
Soterios575.00
      03-30-2020, 04:42 PM   #21
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

That x5m front end looks amazing.. Maybe someone should make the grills on this platform for the current 2020 x5m!!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 05:10 PM   #22
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
So we agree then. Good to hear.
completely
Appreciate 0