BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

05-28-2015, 11:02 PM   #1
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

DIY - BMW M Performance Front Lip and Rear Diffuser Install

I installed both the front spoiler and the rear diffuser myself without using any betalink. This guide is meant to be used in conjunction with the factory installation instructions so you will notice I am going to skim through certain procedures while concentrating on the details where the manual is lacking

Refer to this post here for the factory installation manual. Thanks Cenix http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...60&postcount=1

My reason for using 3M VHB tape instead is simply because I want to be able to remove the CF pieces if I need to. Granted I will still have holes in my bumper and these modifications are 'permanent' I still want to factor in the chance of some of the pieces getting damaged and will need to be replaced. Betalink is permanent. There are tons of stories about how much of a nightmare it is to remove this stuff. Bonds great but don't expect to be able to get it off your car without damaging your paint. 3M VHB is also very strong but it is possible to remove it with some heat and elbow grease which is why i went it instead. I've installed countless spoilers with this stuff and it has never failed me yet.

First thing you need to do is order some 3M VHB if you want to use my method without using betalink. I purchased it on Amazon and just be sure its VHB (stands for Very High Bond) version.

Rear Carbon Diffuser/Side Wing Installation

Now lets start with the rear diffuser first. Following the factor instructions it tells you to use sandpaper and scuff up the bracket so that the glue/tape will have more bite against it. This is what it looks like sanded down.

Now after the sanding is done, proceed to add some 3M VHB tape to the side where it will be against the rear bumper. Add only one layer of tape. If you double up on the tape it will raise it off the bumper and it will create a gap in between your CF diffuser and bumper.

Now follow the instructions on how to mount the bracket. The two T brackets is basically just a mounting guide so its pretty dummy proof. They screw into existing holes under the bumper so there is no way to get the position wrong. Keep in mind that you need to wipe down the area with some alcohol or degreaser so the tape has a good surface bond. You will also need to drill about a dozen self tapping screws into the bumper to hold the bracket. I did the VHB tape and drilled so its extra support. This is how it looks mounted to the bumper..

At this point the manual tells you to remove the screws on those two "T" shaped mounting guides and you can break them off. There is no more need for them and they were designed to be broken off easily by just bending them. There is a pre-cut line on the bracket where they would snap off.

Now its time to work with the gorgeous BMW Carbon Fiber pieces...

You need to also sand the back side of the CF diffuser to make sure the tape/betalink has a good bond. Follow the bmw instructions for this..

After sanding down the backside of the CF diffuser proceed to add the VHB tape in these areas that will come in contact with the frame you just installed as well as the lower bumper area.

Now peel off the tape backing and install to your bumper. There are a few screws from the bottom which holds up the diffuser. After installing use some painters tape to hold it in place for a few hours.

Now its time to move on to the rear side wings. Make sure your order contains a pre cut template so you know where to drill the holes. With this template its pretty much idiot proof imo. You remove one of your lower bumper screw so you can install the template then you can mark all of the holes you will need to drill. This template is key since you can precisely pinpoint where to drill and don't have to worry about it being straight or not in the right spot.

Once the holes are drilled...

Here it is mounted.

Front Carbon Spoiler Installation

The front spoiler is actually easier to install. Again follow the instruction guide and the concept is the same as the rear. You mount each bracket to the bumper with VHB tape/screws and then you attach the spoiler to the bracket using VHB tape plus bolts on the bottom.

Start off sanding both of the brackets so the tape will bond to the pieces stronger. After sanding apply some VHB tape to the areas where the bracket will come in contact with the bumper. Again, dont double upon the tape because it will raise the bracket away from the bumper and cause a gap between the spoiler and bumper.

Remove 4 of the bolts under the bumper, remove the backing for the VHB tape and attach the bracket to the bumper using the holes for the screws on the bottom as guides. Again this is pretty much dummy proof and very helpful to get the positioning perfect.

Once its attached you will need to drill the self taping screws into the bumper...

At this point you can snap off the mounting guides since they are no longer needed. Same as the rear they were designed to be snapped off simply by bending them. There is a slot where they will break off cleanly. Here they are broken off..

Now its time to install the L brackets that came with the spoiler. The manual doesn't show you how to really position these but here it is installed.

This is how it should look

At this point all you need to do is sand the back side of the CF spoiler and apply the VHB tape to the areas where it will come in contact with the bracket and bumper. Sorry I forgot to take pictures of the final steps but its pretty self explanatory. Sand, apply tape, install

The bolts you removed earlier under the bumper will screw back on holding the spoiler from underneath as well. It helps to have another set of hands to help you position the spoiler onto the bumper.

I've had it on my car for about a month now and everything is still holding perfect. If you choose to use betalink you can still use my guide and just substitute the VHB with betalink instead.

Hope this helps you guys.

Alan

Last edited by Alan l.; 03-23-2017 at 08:55 AM..
Appreciate 20
      05-28-2015, 11:06 PM   #2
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Alan,

Good write up. I guess those parts installed for good, no turning back.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2015, 09:00 AM   #3
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Alan,

Good write up. I guess those parts installed for good, no turning back.
Yes. I was actually surprised that the install requires separate brackets that requires so much drilling. I thought about not drilling at all and just rely on the VHB tape to hold it but given it is positioned on the car i wasn't sure if i have that much confidence with it holding nearly 3K worth of carbon fiber parts. Not a big deal. I guess one can remove the parts but you have to factor in getting the bumpers patched and repainted. BMW meant for this install to be permanent especially since it calls for using betalink which is near impossible to remove once its on.

Last edited by Alan l.; 05-29-2015 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 2
      05-29-2015, 01:33 PM   #4
MeTaLX6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X6 35i

nice!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 10:26 AM   #5
Ninjaoz
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: E39 540i, E90 320d,F15 30d

Garage List
2011 BMW 320d  [10.00]
Thanks for your detailed instructions, good stuff!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 11:03 PM   #6
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

This should help some people out especially if you don't want to use betalink

Alan
      06-13-2015, 02:31 AM   #7
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l.
This should help some people out especially if you don't want to use betalink

Alan
Thanks for the bump lol Damn search didn't bring it up on the mobile app. I'm doing mine tomorrow. And you're right about the side skirts, let my vinyl guy deal with it when he does my Deck lid spoiler in gloss black
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 08:10 AM   #8
kskpsu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M; E90 M3 ZCP; M4 GTS

Garage List
'11 BMW 1M  [9.83]
So conflicted on this. Really want to go CF front lip and rear diffuser (without the side pieces), but I like an option of easily returning to stock...not the case here.
      06-16-2015, 08:15 AM   #9
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Honestly it wouldn't cost more than a few hundred bucks to have a bodyshop fill and respray part of the lower bumpers if you wanted to go back to stock at some point. Or just sell the car as is which shouldn't be a problem since these are all oem bmw pieces.

Alan
      06-16-2015, 02:45 PM   #10
Ftenner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 535xdrive , F15 xdrive

Alan , do you think the CF rear diffuser will prevent me from putting a execu hitch/invisihitch/ oem hitch( bike rack) if i decide to install it later?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 02:59 PM   #11
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

From what i remember the CF diffuser follows the oem bumper's shape exactly where the tow hitch would go so if you don't have to cut the bumper at all then I wouldn't imagine the diffuser getting in the way. If you do have to trim the oem bumper then that means you would need to trim the diffuser as well.

Alan
      06-20-2015, 03:11 AM   #12
sssmokie
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 2022 G05 M50i with DHP

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 M50i  [10.00]
2022 BMW X5 45e  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5 3.0D  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5 M50D  [8.66]
Hi Alan,
First of all thanks for the instructions. You car looks amazing. I just wonder, how do the cf rear side wings handle stone chips? I'm running on 315 rear tyres and they tend to throw stones at this area quite a lot.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 07:16 PM   #13
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Have about 1200 miles and just checked my rear flaps and no marks or anything...
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2015, 08:07 PM   #14
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Have about 1200 miles and just checked my rear flaps and no marks or anything...
Time to open her up! Let me know how the power compares from your 5 series.. well more with the 535i since the 550i can't really be compared now that you are able to rev it up higher RPM's
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 01:33 PM   #15
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

I was a little skeptical about the VHB tape use, but it looks great. A lot less messy than Betalink. Good job!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 03:31 PM   #16
teodorjelev
Lieutenant
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: Mercedes AMG GT 53 4-door

Garage List
New problem, I do not know if anyone met him!
It's about Carbon front spoiler at a speed of 140 km / h on the highway upper part which is glued with silicone come off and twist under the front tires, spoiler broken but his stay bolts at the rear at high speed it is too dangerous!
After a week will arrive new spoiler which will now want to mount with screws and front can not only engage with silicone front!
Tomorrow I will upload pictures of the defect that for me personally by BMW not to invent!
Given that there is great resistance on this front spoiler to be engaged only with silicon is not very professional!
Tomorrow will also write request to Germany to ask this thing for them is it good!
At high speed you could lose control of the car because the front spoiler is twisted back held an on the rear screws and stands just below the two front tires and I like to sled, the car lost control on the road!
So those of you who are a front spoiler carbon and to take measures to secure the front of the spoiler which is attached only with silicone!
I hope I was helpful!
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2015, 07:16 PM   #17
Stang0811
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 MSport Trim

Did you use the recommended adhesive - Betalink K2 or did you use a substitute
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 10:41 PM   #18
teodorjelev
Lieutenant
Bulgaria
Rep

Garage List
Hello, carbon fiber spoiler is placed BMW service, and it happened after 4000 km which for me is not acceptable provided that is quite dangerous, in BMW said it had done everything as a book.
For me this attachment with silicone front part is not to an invented,
at a speed of 140 kilometers of highway and a strong cross wind me get unstuck.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 12:36 AM   #19
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

^^ sounds like the dealer didn't install the spoiler right to me.

With screws bolting it down on the botton, betalink or double sided tape up on top its not going anywhere imo.

Alan
      07-01-2015, 12:41 AM   #20
teodorjelev
Lieutenant
Bulgaria
Rep

Garage List
so me and assured me that so made would not budge, but there is one but that I doubted from the outset that this thing is well done because spoiler caught at the top with silicone is not serious.
I'll upload photos of spoiler.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 12:45 AM   #21
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

If they used what BMW recommended to use (betalink) and installed it correctly there is no way it would have separated. Betalink is as strong as the stuff they use to install windshields and is near impossible to remove. Even with my VHB tape i haven't seen the spoiler budge at all with higher speeds. Keep us posted and yes post pics

Alan
      07-01-2015, 01:09 AM   #22
teodorjelev
Lieutenant
Bulgaria
Rep

Garage List
photo
Attached Images

Appreciate 0