BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

03-04-2020, 08:07 AM   #45
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

The hospitals around where I live literally feel like 5 star hotels when you're there. Amazing food, lobby's, professionalism and service. I regret not going to med school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 08:43 AM   #46
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
The hospitals around where I live literally feel like 5 star hotels when you're there. Amazing food, lobby's, professionalism and service. I regret not going to med school.
I interviewed years ago at the big health care colossus here in town. Revenue around $250 billion, so that gives you an idea of size. The fucking HQ is palatial. Seriously, it looks like something out of a Dubai or UAE tourist brochure. I was shaking my head and thinking "Yup, this is why our premiums are so high." I'm all for letting the market determine winners and losers, but this may be one of those exceptions where different principles apply, because clearly there's a shit-ton of inefficiency in their operations. It's really efficient at extracting cash from insureds, and inefficient at everything else.
      03-04-2020, 09:09 AM   #47
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3, 997.2 c2s, x166 GL450

i'm curious OP did you managed to get that crazy "operating room" cost reduced or something?
Appreciate 1
243Racing1447.50
      03-04-2020, 09:32 AM   #48
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
I interviewed years ago at the big health care colossus here in town. Revenue around $250 billion, so that gives you an idea of size. The fucking HQ is palatial. Seriously, it looks like something out of a Dubai or UAE tourist brochure. I was shaking my head and thinking "Yup, this is why our premiums are so high." I'm all for letting the market determine winners and losers, but this may be one of those exceptions where different principles apply, because clearly there's a shit-ton of inefficiency in their operations. It's really efficient at extracting cash from insureds, and inefficient at everything else.
Is it though? UHC's headquarters isn't really out of line with any other company of that size.

03-04-2020, 02:54 PM   #49
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

AAA Class medical office space - checkout Advent Health HQ or Florida Hospital (owned by Advent Health). Again the hospital feels like a 5 star hotel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 06:55 PM   #50
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by byroncheung View Post
i'm curious OP did you managed to get that crazy "operating room" cost reduced or something?
Thanks for checking in. Case is open and pending with customer relations. On the phone they agreed it sounded off and said they would get back to me. So far nothing since Monday.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 1
243Racing1447.50
      03-07-2020, 08:48 AM   #51
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Having first hand experience working in a consulting capacity (staff) at a regional hospital, some of the palatial-ness and extravagant architectural finishes (artwork, tile, glass, soaring spaces) come from donors.

I am of the view that the healthcare system in the US is utterly broken. But on the topic of what can be seen in regional hospitals, some of the money in the brick and mortar comes from private, discretionary donations.

To me, cost improvements are needed in operational efficiency, prices paid for materials (drugs, machinery, consumable supplies) and prices paid to care providers in the form of salaries, fees and reimbursement rates.

Reform of the legal climate (e.g. malpractice) in this space is also needed. I am not qualified to make suggestions in this area.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 07:09 PM   #52
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Anytime you’re in a hospital for medical purposes treat it as if you’re at a really shitty car dealership.
Appreciate 0