02-29-2020, 08:48 AM   #1
Singhy1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f15 x5 30d xdrive

Angry X5 Rear Air Suspension Issue 🙄

Hi all,

Looking for some help and advice please.

I have a Bmw x5 2014, 7 seater with rear air suspension.

Started to notice the rear sagging a few weeks back in the mornings, jump in car start it up and the suspension would rise as normal.

Forward a couple of weeks...could hear air gushing out left side and had to have car recovered to garage, who diagnosed as needing new air spring.

New Arnott spring ordered and fitted.

2 days later rear sagged again! Garage said other side will most likely need replacing, so again ordered and fitted, so both sides now have brand new Arnott air springs.

1 week later...car is still sagging in the mornings, but this time one side more than the other. The passenger side that got replaced first is down more than drivers side.

So before I go back to the garage I thought I would change the blue/red air lines around to see if the issue is the valve block...issue still persists, but driver sides rides much higher now and get a chasis error! Think this could be air that needs purging with ista or me changing the air lines around.

Anyways would you say issue is with the Arnott air spring...or compressor?

I am just going to change the air lines back round to put it back to normal. Garage closed till next week and this issue is driving me crazy haha!

Has anyone had a similar issue and can tell me what this could be please 😉
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 10:16 AM   #2
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singhy1 View Post
Hi all,

Started to notice the rear sagging a few weeks back in the mornings, jump in car start it up and the suspension would rise as normal.

Forward a couple of weeks...could hear air gushing out left side and had to have car recovered to garage, who diagnosed as needing new air spring.

2 days later rear sagged again! Garage said other side will most likely need replacing, so again ordered and fitted, so both sides now have brand new Arnott air springs.

1 week later...car is still sagging in the mornings, but this time one side more than the other. The passenger side that got replaced first is down more than drivers side.

So before I go back to the garage I thought I would change the blue/red air lines around to see if the issue is the valve block...issue still persists, but driver sides rides much higher now and get a chasis error! Think this could be air that needs purging with ista or me changing the air lines around.

I am just going to change the air lines back round to put it back to normal. Garage closed till next week and this issue is driving me crazy haha!

Has anyone had a similar issue and can tell me what this could be please 😉
Is it possible that there is a nick in one of the lines or possibly the weren't threaded into the air spring all the way?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 10:41 AM   #3
Singhy1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russmov View Post
Quote:
Hi all,

Has anyone had a similar issue and can tell me what this could be please
Is it possible that there is a nick in one of the lines or possibly the weren't threaded into the air spring all the way?
hmm fair point. Im unable to get to the springs so will have to see next week.

i have just removed the compressor which was actually full of water! dried out silica beads and reinstalled.

now riding at correct height and chassis error has now gone!

doubt it will have fixed the drop but least im back to how it was lol

hopefully it is something simple like the air line on top of spring. is this something I can get access to myself?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 10:46 AM   #4
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi all,

i have just removed the compressor which was actually full of water! dried out silica beads and reinstalled.

hopefully it is something simple like the air line on top of spring. is this something I can get access to myself?
You can get to it, but you will have to remove the spring. I just replaced mine about a month ago or so and had an issue with my driver side line not being seated correctly. Pulled the spring, put the line back in properly and it's holding perfectly.

I was also going to replace the silica beads in my compressor but decided to tackle the springs first. It solved my issue, so I returned the beads.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 10:52 AM   #5
Singhy1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi all,

You can get to it, but you will have to remove the spring. I just replaced mine about a month ago or so and had an issue with my driver side line not being seated correctly. Pulled the spring, put the line back in properly and it's holding perfectly.

I was also going to replace the silica beads in my compressor but decided to tackle the springs first. It solved my issue, so I returned the beads.
excellent thank you. will give this a go
Appreciate 1
Russmov1328.00
      02-29-2020, 10:55 AM   #6
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi all,

No problem, and good luck! Hope it's an easy fix for you.
Should mention, I sprayed soapy water to see if there was any nicks or to see where the air was escaping.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 11:11 AM   #7
Singhy1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi all,

Should mention, I sprayed soapy water to see if there was any nicks or to see where the air was escaping.
ah ok. i did the soapy water trick on all bits i could see. removing the air spring looks a bit daunting haha. may have to take to garage to inspect this.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 11:25 AM   #8
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi all,

ah ok. i did the soapy water trick on all bits i could see. removing the air spring looks a bit daunting haha. may have to take to garage to inspect this.
It's really not that difficult. I had never even removed or installed wheels before I did this. Some 90 degree pliers will help to remove the clips in the bottom. Other than that it's just a twist.
There are a few threads on here with DIY's on it. Check them out.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 01:58 PM   #9
Singhy1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi all,

It's really not that difficult. I had never even removed or installed wheels before I did this. Some 90 degree pliers will help to remove the clips in the bottom. Other than that it's just a twist.
There are a few threads on here with DIY's on it. Check them out.
ok great will give it a go. wish me luck lol
Appreciate 1
Russmov1328.00
      03-19-2020, 06:14 PM   #10
Singhy1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

update

ok...so i changed the valve block still the same

then bought some new air line pipe, connected to bag and still same issue

new air bags, new pile, new valve block!!

next is a new air bag, and then a compressor!!

sooo hard to diagnose, doing my head in haha
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 08:31 PM   #11
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Quote:

Did you get this figured out yet?

I had the same problem on mine and all I did was replace to Arnott's and made sure the blue and red lines were pushed in all the way in the Arnott's.

I did unscrew the lines from the compressor side and screwed them in last after everything in the back was back together, minus Wheels. I opened my door and it worked. Put my wheels back on and lowered.

Sounds like you've done some serious replacement but if you changed everything you should inspect your compressor. Maybe you have a hairline fracture at the compressor side connections and it's allowing air to escape after it inflates.

Let me know...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 09:43 AM   #12
Singhy1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBBVTMxX View Post
Quote:

I had the same problem on mine and all I did was replace to Arnott's and made sure the blue and red lines were pushed in all the way in the Arnott's.

I did unscrew the lines from the compressor side and screwed them in last after everything in the back was back together, minus Wheels. I opened my door and it worked. Put my wheels back on and lowered.

Sounds like you've done some serious replacement but if you changed everything you should inspect your compressor. Maybe you have a hairline fracture at the compressor side connections and it's allowing air to escape after it inflates.

Let me know...
Quote:
Quote:

Let me know...
hey thanks for info.

i have replaced with 2 new arnott springs too!

update 20th march -

i have just replaced my compressor. ive put it all back together now, just need to sit tight and see if it drops. generally takes a couple of hours to drop a fraction so will keep an eye on it.

so thats 2x new arnott air springs, new air line, new valve block, new compressor.

haha fingers crossed now

final thing if it still drops will be replace the air spring....Arnott will only cover cost of original if they can find fault with original replacement....so didnt want to risk being stuck with 2....least i know its the air spring if it continues to drop

will let you know
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 09:46 AM   #13
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Let me know...
Quote:
Quote:

Let me know...
hey thanks for info.

update 20th march -

i have just replaced my compressor. ive put it all back together now, just need to sit tight and see if it drops. generally takes a couple of hours to drop a fraction so will keep an eye on it.

so thats 2x new arnott air springs, new air line, new valve block, new compressor.

haha fingers crossed now

final thing if it still drops will be replace the air spring....Arnott will only cover cost of original if they can find fault with original replacement....so didnt want to risk being stuck with 2....least i know its the air spring if it continues to drop

will let you know
Ok cool. I think you got it figured out. You've replaced the whole system, it should be good. Mine drops after like a month of sitting still. Every time you open the door it should level out, at least mine does if it's missing air,

Hope all is good to go for you 🤙🏽
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 01:31 PM   #14
Singhy1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Let me know...
Quote:
Quote:

Let me know...
hey thanks for info.

update 20th march -

haha fingers crossed now

will let you know
Ok cool. I think you got it figured out. You've replaced the whole system, it should be good. Mine drops after like a month of sitting still. Every time you open the door it should level out, at least mine does if it's missing air,

Hope all is good to go for you
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Let me know...
Quote:
Quote:

Let me know...
hey thanks for info.

update 20th march -

haha fingers crossed now

final thing if it still drops will be replace the air spring....Arnott will only cover cost of original if they can find fault with original replacement....so didn want to risk being stuck with 2....least i know its the air spring if it continues to drop

will let you know

got my replacement new compressor, after fitting the suspension dropped after 2 hours again!!

just picked up a new arnott spring...fitted and going to monitor it now!

looks like the compressor was fine so back to my original.

the joys haha
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 01:34 PM   #15
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Let me know...
Quote:
Quote:

Let me know...
hey thanks for info.

update 20th march -

haha fingers crossed now

will let you know

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Let me know...
Quote:
Quote:

Let me know...
hey thanks for info.

update 20th march -

haha fingers crossed now

final thing if it still drops will be replace the air spring....Arnott will only cover cost of original if they can find fault with original replacement....so didn want to risk being stuck with 2....least i know its the air spring if it continues to drop

will let you know

got my replacement new compressor, after fitting the suspension dropped after 2 hours again!!

the joys haha
Damn! What a headache
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 07:11 PM   #16
Singhy1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Let me know...
Quote:
Quote:

Let me know...
hey thanks for info.

update 20th march -

haha fingers crossed now

will let you know

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Let me know...
Quote:
Quote:

Let me know...
hey thanks for info.

update 20th march -

haha fingers crossed now

will let you know

the joys haha
Damn! What a headache
WTF!!

replaced new arnott spring...still looks to be dropping!

i dont understand!!

fucked off is an understatement!

anyone got any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 08:30 PM   #17
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
WTF!!

i dont understand!!

anyone got any ideas?
So you replaced everything and it still leaks??
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 09:09 PM   #18
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Let me know...
Quote:
Quote:

Let me know...
hey thanks for info.

update 20th march -

haha fingers crossed now

will let you know

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Let me know...
Quote:
Quote:

Let me know...
hey thanks for info.

update 20th march -

haha fingers crossed now

will let you know

the joys haha
Damn! What a headache
WTF!!

i dont understand!!

anyone got any ideas?
Damn bro.

All I can think about is the lines. They are probably not seated correctly and letting air out.

I mean, you've replaced the whole system. You sure it's not just you being paranoid 😅

How much is it dropping?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 07:59 AM   #19
Singhy1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

yep new spring and its still dropping! i have been monitoring with my cctv camera and can gradually see the back corner drop

going to finally put the new compressor on again now that the new arnott spring is in place.

wish i went the spring replacement route now!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 08:14 AM   #20
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
yep new spring and its still dropping! i have been monitoring with my cctv camera and can gradually see the back corner drop

going to finally put the new compressor on again now that the new arnott spring is in place.

Can you hear any air escaping? When I had my issue after replacing my air springs, I could hear air hissing. The left side air line wasn't seated properly for me. After I removed the line and put it back in, no more leaks.
Did you try the soapy water method as well?
Appreciate 1
HJ478.00
      03-21-2020, 08:41 AM   #21
Singhy1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Can you hear any air escaping? When I had my issue after replacing my air springs, I could hear air hissing. The left side air line wasn't seated properly for me. After I removed the line and put it back in, no more leaks.
Quote:
Quote:

cant hear any air escaping

tried spraying with soapy water too and no bubbles

it takes around 2 hours to drop a cm or so
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 10:46 AM   #22
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

cant hear any air escaping

tried spraying with soapy water too and no bubbles

it takes around 2 hours to drop a cm or so
So it's not dropping all the way down, like slammed?
Appreciate 0