BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-28-2020, 02:41 PM   #1
TX15X5
TX15X5
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Hi All,

I've had a hell of a time with any remote services or data fed functionality in my car.

I recently bought a WeBoost cellular LTE booster and have had remarkable improvements and no issues whatsoever since installation.

I currently have the provided magnet hiding behind the shark fin. I'd like to tie into a cellular antenna from the shark fin or elsewhere if one exists. Does anyone know the location of the cellular module so I can attempt to tap into it and get rid of the extra antenna? Install pics below:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 03:46 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX15X5 View Post
I'd like to tie into a cellular antenna from the shark fin or elsewhere if one exists. Does anyone know the location of the cellular module so I can attempt to tap into it and get rid of the extra antenna? Install pics below:
I’m not sure if I’m on the same page with you...but if by cellular module you mean the TCU (telematics control unit) or sometimes called the TCB (telematics control box)...it is in different locations depending on build date and model.

Some are in the area that you pictured (rear left side of cargo bay) and some are above the headliner (I think if you have the hotspot).

You can search using your VIN on the TIS website. Click this link: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...then type A231 into the search box to find the multiple locations of the TCU/TCB. Or you can typed Telematic Control Unit into the search box also to find locations, wiring diagrams and schematics etc.

For antenna (aerial) info...type something like roof aerial into the search box on the TIS website...this should give you links to the various locations to find what you’re looking for, too.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-28-2020 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 0