BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-29-2020, 12:12 PM   #1
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M Comp, Grigio Telesto

MYSTERY VIBRATION is FINALLY SOLVED

I've had this crazy vibration that is most prevalent as you roll through 50 MPH.
It'been driving me crazy to the point that I was going to trade it in. I swapped for a stock exhaust, thinking it was something I had done in my various modifications, I took the wheels and tires off my wifes X Drive 50i, took off my KW shocks and went back to my H&R setup and it was still there.
Then I raised the rear end to the stock level and it went away. I'm thinking WTF? It has to be the angle of the CV joint. But why would that effect anything. If you lower the car even an inch, the vibration comes back but the angle of the axle only changes minutely. It made no sense.
I tried a set of aftermarket axles and it was worse, if anything. Those went back. We put the stock axles back.
$2400 for a pair of new stock ones is an expensive experiment, so yesterday I went to swap axles with my wifes car just to see. They looked the same and "some" sources show the same part number. Well, they are not. The bolt pattern on the output shaft is different.
So now I have two cars with the rear suspension and axles taken apart. I'm thinking I need to do "something" so I swapped the left and right axles and put it back together. I figured it couldn't hurt. I'll be damned if that didn't fix the whole problem. I lowered it nearly 2" and I have no vibration. I still don't understand why swapping axles to turn the opposite didrection fixed it.
Then I started looking at how the shocks mount. We slot the mounting holes on Corvette shocks all the time to gain travel. I figured a way to lower the shock mounts on both the front and rear so you can lower it without losing any shock travel. I'll start another thread about that subject because it should be very interesting to those that want to lower without spending a lot of money.

Last edited by VETTEPRO; 03-29-2020 at 01:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
x6m_bxny212.00