BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-05-2013, 05:30 AM   #23
Nang Vann
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, R35 GT-R

Buy new, buy an automatic.

I bought a Link Calibre 5 a number of years ago, tiz a great watch.

Look up Tag website, see what you like.

Good luck
      10-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #24
bclk55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14 X5 35D, 15 GT3

Tags has come a long way in term of quality. They have finally stepped it up with their own in house 1887 movement. PM me if you guys need Tag Watches. I'm a Official Tag Heuer Dealer here in Long Beach, CA. I'm willing to hook it up for our M5 board members.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 05:50 AM   #25
DocMick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB F10 M5

nothing special imo

i have a Tag Heuer Carrera Chrono, i enjoy it but after a few years i wouldnt mind selling it
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #26
estoril335
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i estoril blue on red!

I have a TAG Caliber 16, with alligator strap - I paid $5000. Loses minutes every other day...
2015 GT-R Black Edition - Midnight Blue (Current Wknd)
1990 300zx Built Twin Turbo - Black (Current race car)
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 05:06 PM   #27
jbr5049
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i w/x 6MT M-SPort

Aquaracer from 2007 that I wear to work every day and a Grand Carrera Calibre 17 that I got about 3 years ago. Both have been sent into Tag for service... Aquaracer needed a new crown, and the chrono busted on my GC. I love Tag watches regardless and will buy nothing else.

Tag makes a fantastic watch, just be sure to buy a winder if you leave it sit for a day.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 10:57 AM   #28
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

Tag Heuer makes great designs, however I find their innovation on movement lacking though they are slowly stepping it up with their new in-house movements.

Last edited by originalgoods13; 11-30-2013 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 07:22 AM   #29
JerseyChris
Rep
Drives: 2010 M6 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
TH = watch for ppl who know nothing about watches, but just want an expensive watch IMO... very mainstream, but still very well made
Around here that seems to be more Movado..

I have had a Movado many years ago and it scratched pretty easy. I still have both my Tags and they are great watches and very durable.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #30
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
TH = watch for ppl who know nothing about watches, but just want an expensive watch IMO... very mainstream, but still very well made
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #31
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Even the automatic movement on a lot of Tags are made by Seiko. Nothing wrong with Seiko, they make decent stuff, but for the price of a Tag, I would expect more.
      12-16-2013, 12:31 PM   #32
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

I like Tag well enough, but I have a very specific opinion of their watches: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...37&postcount=6

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 06:55 PM   #33
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Even the automatic movement on a lot of Tags are made by Seiko. Nothing wrong with Seiko, they make decent stuff, but for the price of a Tag, I would expect more.
In some models that is so. In others it is not. Specifically, the Tag calibre 36 is a Zenith El Primero chronograph movement purchased entirely by Tag from Zenith. It's essentially the same movement that was in many a Zenith El Primero watch, many a Rolex Daytona until Rolex began making their own chronograph movements and a smattering of other watches.

The El Primero's best and worst traits is that it's been around for some 40+ years. That's good because there's no question about it reliability and durability. That's bad because there's nothing new or innovative about its design. That last point isn't a terrible thing; many watchmakers are using movements that are little, if at all, changed from movements made years and years ago.

Just for an illustration of my point about above old being neither bad nor good for a movement, but that it's something to know aobut, you may want to go here -- http://www.bernardwatch.com/Rolex-Mo...s-and-Calibers -- and then do some exploring to see what the actual differences are among the various movements Rolex has introduced over the years. A good line to follow would be the 1565, 1575, 3035 and 3135.

At the end of the day, any luxury watch purchase is emotional. Few if any of them are truly worth the money in the most objective of comparisons of functionality and price. If one is merely after functionality, form and a sensible price, there's no reason to spend over $500. Even calling $500 the lower limit of what is technically a luxury watch may be overly generous; it may be possible to achieve the pinnacle of form and functionality, durability and reliability for less.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 06:04 PM   #34
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumley View Post
I agree, the Omega is timeless and well worth consideration.

However, I've had great experience with Tag's.

I have 2 in my collection, one was my first "nice" watch - a silver link. It was a first anniversary present from my wife. That was 20 years ago and it's been flawless. I also have one of the basic Carrera's. Also flawless.
I've got a Tag AquaRacer and a Grand Carrera Calibre 16 RS2. Both work great. But just for something different, my next two will be Omegas. Probably a Planet Ocean and an Aqua Terra. I'll probably never pick up a Rolex...
      02-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #35
DocMick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB F10 M5

Tag failed two weeks ago.... At a time when I really needed it.

Took the hammer to it. Felt great to murder a POS glorified Guess watch. You couldn't give me a Tag Heuer at this point.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 04:16 PM   #36
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precision View Post
I don't know what it is but I've just always loved these things. I've considered buying used several times and decided not to but honestly I don't even know where to start, what model is what, what to look for etc. my budget is relatively low. Is buying used a bad idea or a smart one?
If you just have a real craving for Tag watches, but by all means, get one. Tag doesn't make bad watches, so no matter what you get, it'll be a nice watch.

You certainly can save a tidy sum buying a pre-owned Tag watch. If you can find a reputable seller, have at it...Just be aware that there's always a certain amount of risk associated with buying a used watch. It's like anything else, where the risk potential is higher, the benefit potential is also higher. You'll have to decide for yourself what you are comfortable with doing. There are lots of discount sellers of Tag watches. Just Google search for "Tag watch discount" and plenty should come up. You might also check Antiquorum (http://www.antiquorum.com/catalog/au...014-02-22/lots) which is a highly reputable (they stand behind the authenticity of everything sold on their site) online watch auction site.

The thing that worries me most about buying pre-owned watches online is that it's super easy for a seller to have a legit watch that they display in pics and actually deliver a fake that only a pro can tell from the real thing. As I tend to spend what to me seems like a lot of money for a watch, I just won't risk it. If the sum you plan to spend feels like a lot of money to you, you probably shouldn't take too much risk that way either.

As for Tag watches, I shared my thoughts on them here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...37&postcount=6 . I apologize that it's a long post, but I think you'll find it very helpful one way or another in that it'll give you what you need to know about the good and the bad re: Tag.

In the final paragraph I mention that I don't know may folks who bust a nut over Tag watches. If, however, you are that guy who does need a cleanup towel because of a Tag, you absolutely should buy one. I would just suggest you look at other things too.

As for the various Tag models, their Carerra line is their best main line watch. You will likely come across several variants. All have good movements inside. Technically speaking, a couple of those movements are "in house," meaning Tag makes the movement themselves. I say technically because the two I know of are "in house" because Tag purchased the rights to them from the folks who initially made them: Seiko in the case of one and Zenith in the other. Think of it as though you bought BMW and instead of putting BMW in the Roundel, you developed a different image and put "Precision" there, but otherwise just kept on selling exactly what BMW made the year before.

Do those sorts of things matter to someone just buying a watch because they want one and this or that one looks good to them? No, not at all, and there's no reason they should. That kind of thing matters to folks who are trying to build a somewhat notable collection of watches. The difference is very much like the difference between a guy who buys art to decorate his wall and a guy who's curating a collection of art in the hope of having something of real, appreciating, long term value. At the moment, nothing Tag makes falls into the second category, so there's no point in worrying about it. Hell, most watches one can buy period, regardless of the price, don't fall into that category, even the most popular Rolexes and Patek Philippes don't hit that level.

Tag offer both mechanical and quartz watches. If you are just buying a Tag to have a Tag and a given look that Tag offers, I'd say that you may as well save some money and buy the quartz version if it's offered in the look you like. I say that because, as stated above, no Tag is going to appreciate in value and because no Tag has a particularly special mechanical movement that's entirely of their own ingenuity.

As for Tag's perception in the marketplace...well Tag and Omega are essentially the middle market Rolex. Although Omega steps into Rolex's market space with a few of its models, Tag really doesn't. Do Tags perform as well as Rolex and Omega watches, absolutely. But so do tons of other watches.

The dirty little secret about watches is that manufacturing processes have reached the point these days that it's almost impossible to buy a watch that doesn't perform well. So, if the case and bracelet/strap are even halfway decently designed and built, all that's left to distinguish one watch from another on an objective basis are minor aesthetic details, such as decorations of cases, dials and movements, or the differences in this and that type of steel or alloy of gold or some other such thing. After that, all that's left are subjective qualities like name recognition. But as I said, whether folks recognize the brand of a watch or not has nothing to do with the watch's actual quality construction wise or time keeping wise.

FWIW, in case it applies: (I don't need to know if it does or doesn't. Only you need to know that and deal with it.)
On the matter of name recognition...Be aware that when you buy a watch, your status transfers to the maker of the watch. The watchmaker's status does not transfer to you. If you are young, you may find that hard to believe, but trust me. I was young once too and I bought a Cartier hoping it would "do me some good." It did; I knew what time it was when folks treated me the same way they did before I bought the Cartier. You earn status through your good deeds and personal accomoplishments. You don't earn it by buying something.

It may make you seem like you have some money if you buy/wear something that's pricey, but if you really don't have money, folks will be disappointed when they found out they were mistaken. One they do find out they were mistaken, it will have done you no good to have been the one to mislead them. If you do have money, folks will figure that out sooner or later anyway. Better to be the guy who's got money and doesn't show it about than to be the guy who doesn't have any but looks like he does. Being the guy who has money and openly enjoys it is okay too so long as you are enjoying it by sharing it with others. Being the guy who has no money to speak of but is just a cool guy is also just fine. The reason the latter three are all fine is because all three guys are sincere.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 05:53 PM   #37
Dalecan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Aston V8VS, F85 X5M, TVR, 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion5 View Post
I wouldn't buy a tag without a warranty. Every watch maker I've spoken to says they break down constantly. If you want something nice but not too expensive get a quartz Omega.

It's one of the most recognizable and well made watches in the world and was worn in 007 Skyfall.

Tag does very well with their externals and puts a lot of detail into them, but their internals are simply terrible having an order of magnitude less reliability than the competition.

I've owned my tag for 15 years and the only thing I've had to do is replace the battery. Plus, it's my daily timechecker.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 05:57 PM   #38
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I've always wanted a monaco even though I know there are far better watches for the price point. 6K seems steep, at the 2500 range or so think the value would be right.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 06:05 PM   #39
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

I have trouble every day deciding if I should wear my Link or Monaco......love the brand
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 06:12 PM   #40
Ryguy29
TrizzlemyniZzzlE3
Rep
Drives: Sparkling graphite m3 coupe

I have a formula 1 tag , for sale lemme no if intrested i still have box and recipt . Shoot me a text and I will send over some pics 516-642-2866 Ryan
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 11:25 PM   #41
GotEM4
General
Rep
Drives: EM4

If your budget is relatively low, Don't buy a Tag. I own a Tag and it's almost 20 years old. Paid $1,800 back then and was a bargain. Whoever tells you that it breaks down often is a fool for saying it. I have a sapphire crystal Tag watch. If you want quality and lasts a long time and very reliable, you can't go wrong with any Tag Heuer. You get what you pay for.
Appreciate 0