01-17-2022, 11:49 AM   #1
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

New (Nov 2021) EGR recall for 2014-2017 X5 diesel

2023 UPDATE:
Remedy should be available for all VIN numbers affected starting 3/1/2023. Confirmed this with my SA

This just landed in my mailbox.Looks like we got round two of the EGR issues:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...1V907-9336.pdf
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=21v907
November 19, 2021 NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V907000
Coolant Leak Inside EGR Module May Cause Fire

A melting intake manifold increases the risk of a fire.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V907000

Manufacturer BMW of North America, LLC

Components FUEL SYSTEM, DIESEL

Potential Number of Units Affected 50,404

Summary

BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2013-2018 328d, 328d xDrive, 2014-2018 328d Sports Wagon, 328d xDrive Sports Wagon, 2014-2016 535d, 535d xDrive, 2015 740Ld xDrive, 2015-2017 X3 xDrive28d SAV, and 2014-2017 X5 xDrive35d SAV diesel vehicles equipped with an Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) module with an integrated cooler. The EGR cooler may leak internally, causing coolant to mix with diesel engine soot, which could result in smoldering particles and a melting intake manifold.

Remedy

Dealers will replace the EGR cooler and inspect the intake manifold, replacing it as necessary, free of charge. This recall includes all vehicles previously recalled under 18V-755. Vehicles previously recalled under 18V-755 will need to have the new remedy performed for this recall. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.
Attached Images

Last edited by RED_Y_; 03-12-2023 at 05:55 PM..
Appreciate 2
Clifton218.50
happydude133.50
      01-17-2022, 12:34 PM   #2
chris323i
Rep
Drives: N57 F15 X5; S52 M coupe

This any different than the previous recall? I don't know if the wording is different.
My EGR cooler was inspected by my dealer during a visit a couple of years ago and it was determined that everything looked ok so nothing was replaced. I've been getting intermittent EGR position related drivetrain malfunctions errors randomly but infrequently so I will relay that to them during this visit.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 12:41 PM   #3
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I highlighted the answer to that, you will have to do it again. Actually happened to me when they inspected it under first recall, did not find anything but decided to do it "just in case". Got check engine light 4 months later, after 2-3 visits turns out the new replaced cooler is leaking, replaced again.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 01:47 PM   #4
X Mon™
Reads books at a 4th grade level; I'm an enabler
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d, 335i Msport, X3, 325iX

Garage List
I read it as: No longer is it an inspect, it is a "will replace cooler." The optional replacement is of the intake manifold. That is to say you WILL have the primary EGR cooler replaced on this bulletin (provided they ever get around to having parts).

The thing I'm more interested in is if the secondary cooler will also be considered on this one, given the flapper in mine failed and the local dealer was unwilling to cover it, even given the verbiage of SIB 01 05 20.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 03:49 PM   #5
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Logged in and also have this notification for our 2015 35d. Funny, I could have sworn we had some sort of recall performed regarding the cooler already? Will have to check my records.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 04:09 PM   #6
chris323i
Rep
Drives: N57 F15 X5; S52 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
Logged in and also have this notification for our 2015 35d. Funny, I could have sworn we had some sort of recall performed regarding the cooler already? Will have to check my records.
Definitely. There was one issued in 2018 IIRC for the same issue but looks like the corrections didn't address the issue completely so here we are again.
Crossing my fingers that the intake plenum gets replaced on mine. I don't look forward to cleaning out the soot from my intake in the future.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 05:09 PM   #7
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
Yes, this one, mentioned in the letter above.
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1552373
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 05:36 PM   #8
danasn
Rep
Drives: E70d F15d

Anyone know if dealer will do any programming after EGR replacement ?

my car has a few changes done and one of them is EGR disabled through software.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 03:55 PM   #9
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Thanks for posting.

Just checked my 2017 and it is impacted as well along with the stale JUL 29, 2021 Recall Campaign No.21V-586 - High Pressure Fuel Pump.

Looks the Fuel Pump now has a remedy. WooHOO!

My EGR was inspected under the first recall and they said it was fine. Something tells me they will do the same again. While I do believe the old adage "if ain't broke, don't fix it", I still feel like they should address and provided a lifetime warranty on these EGRs.

Appreciate 1
      01-18-2022, 04:28 PM   #10
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
Thanks for posting.

Just checked my 2017 and it is impacted as well along with the stale JUL 29, 2021 Recall Campaign No.21V-586 - High Pressure Fuel Pump.

Looks the Fuel Pump now has a remedy. WooHOO!

My EGR was inspected under the first recall and they said it was fine. Something tells me they will do the same again. While I do believe the old adage "if ain't broke, don't fix it", I still feel like they should address and provided a lifetime warranty on these EGRs.
As I mentioned above in my case the said it was fine but replaced it just in case. Caused more problems, I did not pay a penny.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 05:11 PM   #11
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
As I mentioned above in my case the said it was fine but replaced it just in case. Caused more problems, I did not pay a penny.
I’m totally with you here. My issue is that with the original recall it appears that BMW side stepped responsibility by inspecting, passing, and sending customers on their way with a “case closed”. Who knows if they would honor replacement if the EGR coolant issue surfaced 2-3 years later.

The optics on the initial inspection approach is that it saved them money by delaying replacement. It also helped wait out and reduce the size of the replacement pool due to cars slowly being removed from useful service.

Unless the EGRs had a serial range of bad batches they could visually inspect and deem them “fit for duty”, they should just replace the defective part and heavily warranty it. Better yet, how about an updated EGR that won’t need a warrantee.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2022, 10:14 PM   #12
happydude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 / F15 X5 35d

Just had the car tell me it was low on coolant. Ended up topping off with about 1L. Was trying to figure out how it got that low as I have not had any noticeable leaks. And I had just topped it off last year when performing a coolant flush. I did notice I was losing coolant the first time we had this recall a few years ago too so seems like mine is still leaking. They replaced my intake manifold the first time. Wonder if they will do it again this time too.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 11:06 PM   #13
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

If you don't see any obvious leaks this might be the case.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 08:12 AM   #14
RakoNYC
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive35d 2016

Quote:
Quote:
I’m totally with you here. My issue is that with the original recall it appears that BMW side stepped responsibility by inspecting, passing, and sending customers on their way with a “case closed”. Who knows if they would honor replacement if the EGR coolant issue surfaced 2-3 years later.

The optics on the initial inspection approach is that it saved them money by delaying replacement. It also helped wait out and reduce the size of the replacement pool due to cars slowly being removed from useful service.

Unless the EGRs had a serial range of bad batches they could visually inspect and deem them “fit for duty”, they should just replace the defective part and heavily warranty it. Better yet, how about an updated EGR that won’t need a warrantee.
Quote:
Quote:
I'm totally with you here. My issue is that with the original recall it appears that BMW side stepped responsibility by inspecting, passing, and sending customers on their way with a "case closed". Who knows if they would honor replacement if the EGR coolant issue surfaced 2-3 years later.

Unless the EGRs had a serial range of bad batches they could visually inspect and deem them "fit for duty", they should just replace the defective part and heavily warranty it. Better yet, how about an updated EGR that won't need a warrantee.
This is way cynical in terms of their actions
And based on this dynamic, and 3G and impact on ConnectedDrive I am getting the sense that BMW is doing the bare minimum
That's very very disappointing for the company
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2022, 01:38 PM   #15
11_335D
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydude View Post
Just had the car tell me it was low on coolant. Ended up topping off with about 1L. Was trying to figure out how it got that low as I have not had any noticeable leaks. And I had just topped it off last year when performing a coolant flush. I did notice I was losing coolant the first time we had this recall a few years ago too so seems like mine is still leaking. They replaced my intake manifold the first time. Wonder if they will do it again this time too.
I'm wondering the same thing for mine as well if they will replace the intake manifold again. Did you get a low coolant warning or you just noticed you were low?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 03:28 PM   #16
ManImCool
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

I'm afraid to ask this as it might be a dumb question, but does this apply to me if I've done a full ABC delete like in this thread?

It's not clear whether this no longer affects me after an ABC delete. Common sense tells me I don't need an EGR replaced if I'm not using it.

But it's also not clear that if it did still affect me, if I'd still be eligible for them to replace the intake manifold for free, if necessary.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 04:37 PM   #17
happydude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 / F15 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11_335D View Post
I'm wondering the same thing for mine as well if they will replace the intake manifold again. Did you get a low coolant warning or you just noticed you were low?
I got the low coolant warning pop up this past weekend. A few years ago before the first recall I just noticed it was low and topped it off.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 04:13 PM   #18
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep

My X5 recall (21v-907) letter came this week. Below are highlights worth sharing:

1.) Remedy is Unavailable
2.) Previous repair under prior recall (18v-755) will require additional repair
3.) EGR Cooler will be replaced, with upgraded version
4.) Intake manifold will be checked and, if necessary replaced
5.) Item 3 & 4 will take 1 hour

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 12:50 AM   #19
Kakalika
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d M Sport

Service advisor told me that BMW are looking for a new EGR cooler manufacturing company. Could be a while before this recall is done.
      01-31-2022, 07:03 AM   #20
vetaldj
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Quote:
My X5 recall (21v-907) letter came this week. Below are highlights worth sharing:

1.) Remedy is Unavailable
2.) Previous repair under prior recall (18v-755) will require additional repair
3.) EGR Cooler will be replaced, with upgraded version
4.) Intake manifold will be checked and, if necessary replaced
5.) Item 3 & 4 will take 1 hour
Last item is the most interesting. They can't do oil change in an hour, replacing EGR in that time frame looks impossible.

I had check engine light, along with engine running on high temps and loosing coolant. They said it is EGR, ordered new one, when i arrived finally after few wrong once i've got a call that they started change but all looks good and they did not change it. This time no excuses hopefully.

With coolant constantly disappearing it end up with plastic connector to manifold from radiator was sipping coolant quietly without leak proofs. Seams like from engine running hot it just split in the half.
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2022, 02:51 AM   #21
ohhgourami
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydude View Post
I got the low coolant warning over the weekend as well. Topped it off with about 1L and went on my way. Did a little searching a found this thread.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 10:50 AM   #22
JamesInSJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post
I got the low coolant warning over the weekend as well. Topped it off with about 1L and went on my way. Did a little searching a found this thread.
Bought my car at 69k mi. At 75k got a coolant warning (forgot the code) but figured I'd look at the coolant reservoir first...yep, low coolant. Refilled and got it again at about 85k miles. Talked to SA the second time around and he finally did a good history look and confirmed that when the PO did the recall a few months before my purchase, they did replace the EGR and manifold, but they don't replace the seal for the EGR (stupid, cheap part to throw in there) and it's not uncommon to leak from the seal after replacement. Obviously the replacement EGRs are just as bad or perhaps worse as the disappearing coolant is a sign of a faulty EGR or leaking seal. Glad to see it's being addressed.

And as others have wondered...hoping there is no new coding involved.
Appreciate 0