BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-19-2021, 02:43 PM   #23
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Its just telling you its time for another project...
F90 maybe?
      10-19-2021, 06:44 PM   #24
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23' X7 40i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
Its just telling you its time for another project...
F90 maybe?
Haha yes sir. Only a matter of time!
      10-20-2021, 02:03 AM   #25
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

How deep are you sanding, and are you cleaning it after sanding? And what are you using for cleaning?

Most of the time when I see paint do that, it either wasn't sanded enough or cleaned well enough to remove oils and give the primer something to grab onto, or its the wrong combination of primer/paint/clear. Since these are all enamel based and its happening over time I suspect the issue is with prep. If it were the wrong types of paints/primers you would see bubbling happen immediately or while drying. I would pay a little extra attention to your prep. Best way I can explain sanding is make sure there is no shiny left over from previous coatings, and be sure to use a cleaner that doesn't leave behind any oils.

It could also just be the paint. I always use Rustoleum paints and I've never had issues. I have also never "baked" high temp paints and I have no bubbling or peeling on exhausts or engines.

When I did my tips I:

sanded:
cleaned with mineral spirits
sanded (forget the grit I used, but nothing too harsh that leaves lines)
ensure no "shiny" spots are left
let dry for an hour

primer:
3 light coats, 1 hr between each coat
let dry overnight

paint:
3 light coats and one final medium coat (not too heavy to cause runs), 1 hr between coats
let dry overnight

clear:
3 light coats, 1 medium coats (again, not too heavy to cause runs), 1 hr between coats
let dry over night

Test surfaces before each application with fingernail. If its hard to the touch, then you're good to go on. If its still soft or tacky to the touch, let it dry more.

Kept the garage around 65deg (was in the winter).
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 05:35 PM   #26
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23' X7 40i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
How deep are you sanding, and are you cleaning it after sanding? And what are you using for cleaning?

Most of the time when I see paint do that, it either wasn't sanded enough or cleaned well enough to remove oils and give the primer something to grab onto, or its the wrong combination of primer/paint/clear. Since these are all enamel based and its happening over time I suspect the issue is with prep. If it were the wrong types of paints/primers you would see bubbling happen immediately or while drying. I would pay a little extra attention to your prep. Best way I can explain sanding is make sure there is no shiny left over from previous coatings, and be sure to use a cleaner that doesn't leave behind any oils.

It could also just be the paint. I always use Rustoleum paints and I've never had issues. I have also never "baked" high temp paints and I have no bubbling or peeling on exhausts or engines.

When I did my tips I:

sanded:
let dry for an hour

primer:
let dry overnight

paint:
3 light coats and one final medium coat (not too heavy to cause runs), 1 hr between coats
let dry overnight

clear:
3 light coats, 1 medium coats (again, not too heavy to cause runs), 1 hr between coats
let dry over night

Test surfaces before each application with fingernail. If its hard to the touch, then you're good to go on. If its still soft or tacky to the touch, let it dry more.

Thanks for the feedback on proper prep for the enamel process. My latest horror show is actually with powdercoated tips, so it's remarkable I'm experiencing issues this go around.
      10-22-2021, 05:56 PM   #27
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic_erik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post

When I did my tips I:

sanded:
let dry for an hour

primer:
let dry overnight

paint:
let dry overnight

clear:
let dry over night

Thanks for the feedback on proper prep for the enamel process. My latest horror show is actually with powdercoated tips, so it's remarkable I'm experiencing issues this go around.
I went with the low effort approach. Got these from eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-S...-127632-2357-0

I was worried they would not cover the tips. But so far looks fine. Had it for a month and seems easy to remove and replace if needed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
jmack1231300.50
ggunn9160.00
      10-23-2021, 01:22 AM   #28
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post

I was worried they would not cover the tips. But so far looks fine. Had it for a month and seems easy to remove and replace if needed.
Those look really good

I want dual rounds for each side, but no one makes anything specific to the F15 except Supersprint, and its $800 just for tips which I find a little ridiculous. I'm likely going to end up caving and getting them eventually. I have Amazon universal tips now but they don't fit the curvature of the rear bumper and it really bothers me. AC used to have great looking tips, but they changed the design and what they offer now is hideous IMO.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 03:29 AM   #29
Ascotgrun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:

Thanks for the pics and feedback. I was sceptical too so went with paint. If that fails I am going with those.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 12:38 PM   #30
Ashme
Private
Rep
Drives: Viper, GX460, BRZ

They make 900 degree stuff for grills. I've used that on cars I've tracked and I haven't had a problem. Try that. 550 degrees is kind of low.
2011 Lexus GX (for sale soon)
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 03:32 PM   #31
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascotgrun View Post
Quote:

Thanks for the pics and feedback. I was sceptical too so went with paint. If that fails I am going with those.
I have my car now parked at an angle where the rear is raised from the front. The only way to see the chrome is if I bend down and look to the side. Ideally the tips should have been an inch longer. You can see a bit of the chrome only on the right side and only if I am about eye level to the exhaust and looking at an angle. From normal height you only see the the covers.

Here are some pictures that I zoomed in.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
jmack1231300.50
ggunn9160.00
      10-23-2021, 07:05 PM   #32
Ascotgrun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

I wouldn't have a problem with that. Often see cars where the factory decorative trim doesn't fully cover the tailpipe.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 09:25 PM   #33
Akkord29
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80, G20, E46

I wonder how the double sided tape will hold up on those covers.
Appreciate 2
ggunn9160.00
      10-24-2021, 12:11 PM   #34
jmack123
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkord29 View Post
Should be fine. The heat is def a consideration, but the double sides tape is pretty reliable (at least from 3M). Had a front lip on with just screws and 3M tape and didn't budge. And then consider that there is almost no wind pressure or gravitational pressure etc. pulling at the covers.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 03:57 PM   #35
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack123 View Post
Quote:
Should be fine. The heat is def a consideration, but the double sides tape is pretty reliable (at least from 3M). Had a front lip on with just screws and 3M tape and didn't budge. And then consider that there is almost no wind pressure or gravitational pressure etc. pulling at the covers.
I agree. I ended up using betalink to install the front diffuser (because of wind resistance) and the 3M tape just seems to be working fine for the exhaust tip. It's been there for a month and we took it on a 5 hour trip to the beach. Parked outside and we even had a heavy storm. So been through thick and thin. I think the heat in the exhaust might be helping with the adhesion.

I was skeptical at first as well, but at $50 it wasn't a big risk. There are of course expensive carbon fiber tips as well that go all the way back, but may not be worth the price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-BMW-X5-...-127632-2357-0
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 04:00 PM   #36
jmack123
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I agree. I ended up using betalink to install the front diffuser (because of wind resistance) and the 3M tape just seems to be working fine for the exhaust tip. It's been there for a month and we took it on a 5 hour trip to the beach. Parked outside and we even had a heavy storm. So been through thick and thin. I think the heat in the exhaust might be helping with the adhesion.

I was skeptical at first as well, but at $50 it wasn't a big risk. There are of course expensive carbon fiber tips as well that go all the way back, but may not be worth the price.

Yea I had seen those months ago and never pulled the trigger because I hadn't seen good pics of them on in the real world. If I don't go MPE and painted tips, I will def do these.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 07:36 PM   #37
spyderdoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 35d. 2016 Porsche GT4

I painted the tips on my diesel (M-sport) almost 3 years ago. I had the rear bumper off to put on Stealth Hitch, so perfect time to undertake this task. I sanded it to roughen up the smooth chrome finish. No primer. I painted it with a few layers of the VHT "roll bar and chassis" paint as was mentioned in one of the above posts. It is still perfect to this day. No chipping, fading, or cracking.
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2021, 09:35 PM   #38
jmack123
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderdoc View Post
I painted the tips on my diesel (M-sport) almost 3 years ago. I had the rear bumper off to put on Stealth Hitch, so perfect time to undertake this task. I sanded it to roughen up the smooth chrome finish. No primer. I painted it with a few layers of the VHT "roll bar and chassis" paint as was mentioned in one of the above posts. It is still perfect to this day. No chipping, fading, or cracking.
Do you get much winter weather though? In the Northeast and other areas with harsh winters, I think the longevity is tested a bit more.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 11:25 PM   #39
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:

Wow, those look good! I've contemplated painting my chrome tips but everything I see and read here, the results look iffy.

I'm OEM all the way, I hate cheap eBay crap with a passion, but I gotta admit I'm a bit intrigued by these tips
Appreciate 1
ggunn9160.00
      10-28-2021, 12:56 AM   #40
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderdoc View Post
Quote:
Do you get much winter weather though? In the Northeast and other areas with harsh winters, I think the longevity is tested a bit more.
I would suspect not using primer or clear (I'm assuming no clear since it wasn't mentioned) would not survive winter weather very long.

I live in MN. We see some of the harshest salt covered roads there are and my tips and kidneys have survived fine. And mine have also survived blizzard trips through the mountains as well.

I also painted my E90 kidneys the same way I mentioned above and those lasted the 4 years before I sold the car. They did get some chips as I used typical shelf bought clear though which I don't recommend for anything that may see abuse as it doesn't harden like automotive clear does. For those items I usually got to an autobody and paint store and get an aerosol can made of automotive clear with hardening mixture. It has a thing on the bottom that you pop and it releases a hardener into the can, and you have 24 hours to use it. Once it dries you can sand a polish just like automotive paints, or you can leave it raw. I've used this on a few different things and they have worked out great. I didn't use this on the tips though, but so far so good.

One thing I have noticed is gloss paints are harder to work with and I've had more gloss paints bubble and react funny vs semi gloss and matte. I'm not one for shiny things so now I usually use a semi gloss paint and a matte clear. Not sure if that has contributed to my success or not.
Appreciate 1
jmack1231300.50
      10-30-2021, 06:26 AM   #41
Appalachian
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Wow, those look good! I've contemplated painting my chrome tips but everything I see and read here, the results look iffy.

I'm OEM all the way, I hate cheap eBay crap with a passion, but I gotta admit I'm a bit intrigued by these tips
I painted but had some peeling after a while, so I put these on over the paint about six months ago. They've worked great so far. I went through an automatic car wash with them for the first time earlier this week and they are still firmly attached.
Appreciate 1
jiggz2138.00
      10-31-2021, 12:35 PM   #42
spyderdoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 35d. 2016 Porsche GT4

Quote:
So far, the paint has survived our harsh SF bay area winters

I make several ski trips to Tahoe each year, so that's about the extent of cold weather for the tips. No peeling or bubbling at all. Can't speak for durability in real winter climate tho...

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 12:27 AM   #43
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmd View Post
I painted but had some peeling after a while, so I put these on over the paint about six months ago. They've worked great so far. I went through an automatic car wash with them for the first time earlier this week and they are still firmly attached.
I lose my damn rear wiper blade from the dryer every time I go through a car wash.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 06:59 PM   #44
tventz
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive50i, m sport

Quote:

FCX5, how are those tips holding for you? I got similar to yours from Amazon (may be the same factory in China ). I have not installed them yet. I am wondering if that adhesive tape is sufficient? Also how long are yours? Mine are 49mm +/- 1mm and seem ok.

The ones I got were super cheap but, a bit wavy on the top and the bottom (that may be the reason for discount). I tried “dry” fit one and it fits like a glove.

YIWANG Black Stainless Steel Tail Throat Vent Decorative Car Accessories For BMW X5 F15 X6 F16 2014-2019(Suitable For M Sports Version) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096JQVD3N...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
ggunn9160.00
1230vani647.00