01-09-2022, 11:36 AM   #23
BMWdmk
*Rollin 3rd*
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossBMWZseries View Post
So the ultimate test was to let the X5 sleep (alarm activated) all night. This morning I hit the key fob to unlock it but no juice, totally dead again. I jumped it again from the engine bay and all back to normal, HUD up and running as well as all other electronics. I took my Foxwell scanner and got a few codes, most of which it pointed to under voltage going on and affecting a few systems. I cleared them all and the ones that don’t seem to go away are:

8040B1 (permanent): Wake up line to the IBS-short circuit to B+ or line disconnection
CD8E10 (permanent): LIN Bus - communications fault
B7F339 (intermittent): TCB Undervoltage detected
That's the culprit.

Here is your part number 61216819309
Check around that area first to make sure all is connected properly
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 09:27 AM   #24
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i LCI & '06 Z4MR

Garage List
So I got the IBS cable yesterday, installed it and let the truck sit all night with alarm activated. This morning, it’s completely dead again 😭
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 04:28 PM   #25
BMWdmk
*Rollin 3rd*
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something fast

Quote:
So I got the IBS cable yesterday, installed it and let the truck sit all night with alarm activated. This morning, it’s completely dead again ��
Can you pull the codes?
Check all grounds as well
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 04:43 PM   #26
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I got the same exact codes as the ones I posted. Checked all grounds and connections, everything seemed fine. I’m free from Covid so I took the X5 to a local shop. Hopefully it’s ready by Tuesday and I’ll get back to you guys for the outcome
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 05:13 PM   #27
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

Bro! What a nightmare! I hope this shop is able to figure out the culprit.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 08:54 AM   #28
Eric718S
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5, 2019 Porsche 718

Ross, any update? Your post fits my situation exactly. If I were to write my story it would be yours almost word for word. Only difference is that I gave up and took it to the dealer. They told me they wouldn't diagnose it because it didn't have a BMW battery. After letting them put the OEM battery in, they kept it for a week and said nothing was wrong with it.

I am sure you can guess what happened next. I took it home, next morning it is completely dead again. I don't have another week for it to sit at the dealership so I've been researching what could possibly be the problem. Like you, after getting it started, the main code that won't go away was 80401B1. I had already ordered the IBS and was hopeful that it was going to fix the issue, but your post kind of confirmed that it was probably a waste of money. If they fixed yours and you can let me know what it was, I would be forever in your debt. My wife wants her car back and I need this headache over.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 12:32 PM   #29
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric718S View Post
Ross, any update? Your post fits my situation exactly. If I were to write my story it would be yours almost word for word. Only difference is that I gave up and took it to the dealer. They told me they wouldn't diagnose it because it didn't have a BMW battery. After letting them put the OEM battery in, they kept it for a week and said nothing was wrong with it.

I am sure you can guess what happened next. I took it home, next morning it is completely dead again. I don't have another week for it to sit at the dealership so I've been researching what could possibly be the problem. Like you, after getting it started, the main code that won't go away was 80401B1. I had already ordered the IBS and was hopeful that it was going to fix the issue, but your post kind of confirmed that it was probably a waste of money. If they fixed yours and you can let me know what it was, I would be forever in your debt. My wife wants her car back and I need this headache over.
No updates yet guys. The X5 has been at the shop since my last post. I've never taken my cars to this shop (although I know he's a good mechanic) but he did tell me he has a lot of work ahead of mine. He just started working on it yesterday and will give me a call as soon as he finds out what the issue is.

I hope the IBS resolves your issue but I hate to say it, it may not. I'll post as soon as I know something.
2013 BMW S1000RR K46 R.I.P.
1998 BMW Z3 Roadster 1.9L E36 SOLD
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 01:11 PM   #30
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Another item to look for is a runaway water pump. They are electric and I've read a few reports on other forums recently that they can run even with the car off. Given the power consumption, they drain batteries fast.

What is suspicious is that they occur around battery changes. May not be what's causing your issue, but certainly something to check and rule out. Especially how quickly your battery is flaming out.

Keep us posted.

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 03:20 PM   #31
Eric718S
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
Another item to look for is a runaway water pump. They are electric and I've read a few reports on other forums recently that they can run even with the car off. Given the power consumption, they drain batteries fast.

What is suspicious is that they occur around battery changes. May not be what's causing your issue, but certainly something to check and rule out. Especially how quickly your battery is flaming out.

Keep us posted.
Thanks, will check that out next. The wife did say she could hear something running after the car was shutdown. I didn't give much thought to it because I didn't know if it was within the 15 minutes or not.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 09:10 AM   #32
Eric718S
Rep

Not to hijack the thread, but as expected, the IBS wasn't the issue. I could tell it wasn't soon after I installed it. When I turned the vehicle off the water pump would continue to run nonstop. I could make it stop temporarily by opening the door or pressing any key on the remote but after about a minute it would kick back on. I am going to replace the water pump and thermostat now and will let you know if that solves my problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 09:23 AM   #33
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Not to hijack the thread, but as expected, the IBS wasn't the issue. I could tell it wasn't soon after I installed it. When I turned the vehicle off the water pump would continue to run nonstop. I could make it stop temporarily by opening the door or pressing any key on the remote but after about a minute it would kick back on. I am going to replace the water pump and thermostat now and will let you know if that solves my problem.
All good man, still within the topic lol. So the water pump is not something I looked for to see if it kept running while the vehicle was off. I wish I would've read this before taking it in to the shop. Let us know if that resolves your issue.
2013 BMW S1000RR K46 R.I.P.
1998 BMW Z3 Roadster 1.9L E36 SOLD
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 09:51 PM   #34
Eric718S
Rep

Quote:
All good man, still within the topic lol. So the water pump is not something I looked for to see if it kept running while the vehicle was off. I wish I would've read this before taking it in to the shop. Let us know if that resolves your issue.
Looks like the water pump or thermostat was my issue. I got them to change those out and it has been working great ever since. No battery drain while driving it regularly for the last 5 days or so. While it didn't help you or me, hopefully this will save someone else some time and money in the future. Wish I knew about it before two batteries, a trip to he dealership, diagnostic fees, replacing IBS, etc... Still can't believe the dealership couldn't figure it out.
Appreciate 2
BMWdmk105.50
      02-15-2022, 09:53 PM   #35
Eric718S
Rep

Oh, and forgot to say - Thanks Clifton for pointing me in the right direction. No telling how much more time and money I would have spent trying to figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 04:53 AM   #36
Ascotgrun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

So much for these cars being "intelligent" and going to sleep shutting down ECUs etc when parked. I guess the water pump is smarter than the car...or too dumb to shut down with everything else.

I'm going to look into adding a battery disconnect switch. I park my car for up to 8 weeks at a time 3hrs away from home. Can't afford to mess around with dead batteries when I get off work.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 08:08 PM   #37
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Looks like the water pump or thermostat was my issue. I got them to change those out and it has been working great ever since. No battery drain while driving it regularly for the last 5 days or so. While it didn't help you or me, hopefully this will save someone else some time and money in the future. Wish I knew about it before two batteries, a trip to he dealership, diagnostic fees, replacing IBS, etc... Still can't believe the dealership couldn't figure it out.
Picked up the X5 from the shop today. They replaced a cable/sensor on the positive terminal of the battery and that didn’t resolve anything. Total of parts and labor was $360 with no repair, just a suggestion to take it in to the dealership as they have the “proper tools”.

Anyway, how can you tell if the water pump continues to run after turning off the vehicle? When I got home, I listened for it and I hear a sound coming from the engine’s passenger side, kinda sounds like water running or the sound a water leak would make, I’m going to assume that’s the water pump running but I can barely hear it. I unplugged the battery and sound went away.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 10:13 AM   #38
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
UPDATE: I took the X5 that day to another shop, expensive shop but the owner there is very savvy. He called me to let me know it’s the water pump just like y’all said. $1,500 for parts and labor. I’ve seen the videos on replacing it and seems fairly easy but I don’t think I have the time and my wife needs the vehicle ASAP for our baby girl. Is $1500 reasonable for a job like this?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 02:36 PM   #39
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Quote:
Is $1500 reasonable for a job like this?
I’d say it’s worth it to get the X5 back in service. The pump itself is ~$500-700, so the rest is labor, coolant, gaskets and possibly the thermostat (I’d confirm that).

I would have them replace “while they are in there”:
- Coolant hose Flange (go aftermarket aluminum)
- Thermostat
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 04:05 PM   #40
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
I’d say it’s worth it to get the X5 back in service. The pump itself is ~$500-700, so the rest is labor, coolant, gaskets and possibly the thermostat (I’d confirm that).

- Thermostat
This is a good advice especially if coolant wasn't changed, since yours is 2014 might be long due. With a pump price and labor costs sounds like fair deal IMO.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 09:28 AM   #41
scotty339
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 x35i M-Sport

Quote:

- Thermostat
+1.
Always a good way to vet a new mechanic, anyone worth his salt will highly suggest if not mandate those parts must be changed at the same time as the WP swap or warrantying that job is silly from a owner standpoint.

Good luck OP. Seems reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 04:53 PM   #42
Eric718S
Rep

Quote:
UPDATE: I took the X5 that day to another shop, expensive shop but the owner there is very savvy. He called me to let me know it’s the water pump just like y’all said. $1,500 for parts and labor. I’ve seen the videos on replacing it and seems fairly easy but I don’t think I have the time and my wife needs the vehicle ASAP for our baby girl. Is $1500 reasonable for a job like this?
You made out a little better than me. For my water pump, thermostat, system flush, etc it was $1,977.73.

I agree that I "probably" could have handled it myself, but wouldn't have saved enough to be worth my time and as a CPA, time is very hard to come by this time of year.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 02:10 PM   #43
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
UPDATE: thanks for the responses guys. He took one day to diagnose it and one day to replace the water pump. Got the X5 back on Monday and it’s as if this never even happened. Runs like a champ!
Appreciate 0