01-10-2022, 08:30 AM   #1
///ASN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

F16 X6 M5D

Hello everyone,

I am in Australia, just sold my M3 and planning to get a M50D
Looking at 2014-2016 model with around 90k - 130k on the clock.

Had a chat with one of the reputable workshops in my area, he said that he had fixed three M50D with spun main bearings
But after googling, i dont seem finding the rod bearing is a common issue? Is the rod bearing on the N57D30S engine prone to fail?

He also said that the followings are prone to fail:
- timing chain
- transmission
- transfer case

Just want to know if what he says are really that common, especially for one with 100k km on the clock?

Also wonder any more common issues (mechanical) for this car?
I am not fussed with those small issues like the rattle from the tail gate, wind noise etc, more concerned with the issues in the engine bay or drivetrain.
Appreciate 1
scotty339147.00
      01-10-2022, 10:21 AM   #2
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

This model was never sold in US and majority of users here are from North America. You can check following threads about this model:
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1814871
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1860437

Transmission was the same on all models as far as I remember (I might be wrong though) as well as transfer case which should last a very long time as far as your properly maintain them, many users here are past 100K miles mark and still running strong (including myself with almost 80K).
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 07:55 PM   #3
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Whilst I can't offer you much advice on the M50D, I would say that probably pick something with lower Km. Reason been is unlike our US, EU friends, down here the official BMW service in garbage and the service/support is even worse.

If the car hasn't been abused before, the TC is reliable and the ZF8 is very reliable.

If you are concerned about longevity and don't need the extra power. Consider stepping down to a 30D/40D. These have proven to be reliable, plus probably would be able to pick something with nicer, with fewer km and later year for the same $$.

The M50D uses the same engine as the 750d and the 550d, maybe those have more info on the spun bearing.

Oh, btw. To play devils advocate, have you considered about been a turncoat and looking at Benz? Unlike BM, they offer CPO factory backed warranty on the certified stuff
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 01:17 AM   #4
///ASN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
Whilst I can't offer you much advice on the M50D, I would say that probably pick something with lower Km. Reason been is unlike our US, EU friends, down here the official BMW service in garbage and the service/support is even worse.

If the car hasn't been abused before, the TC is reliable and the ZF8 is very reliable.

If you are concerned about longevity and don't need the extra power. Consider stepping down to a 30D/40D. These have proven to be reliable, plus probably would be able to pick something with nicer, with fewer km and later year for the same $$.

The M50D uses the same engine as the 750d and the 550d, maybe those have more info on the spun bearing.

Oh, btw. To play devils advocate, have you considered about been a turncoat and looking at Benz? Unlike BM, they offer CPO factory backed warranty on the certified stuff
Thanks Chilled

Yes, the service we can get here is way inferior than the other countries.

No, I test drove the 30D/40D and not happy with the torque.
The workshop that i spoke to also saying that the 30/40D are just the same in terms of the main bearing issues.

As for the TC, what would be the proper way to "maintain" it? avoid hard acceleration?

I wonder if I can detect if the rod bearing with an engine oil analysis, just like how people are doing it for the S65 M3 engine?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 01:19 AM   #5
///ASN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
This model was never sold in US and majority of users here are from North America. You can check following threads about this model:
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1814871
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1860437

Transmission was the same on all models as far as I remember (I might be wrong though) as well as transfer case which should last a very long time as far as your properly maintain them, many users here are past 100K miles mark and still running strong (including myself with almost 80K).
Hello RED_Y,

Just a quick one, how to properly maintain the transfer case?

I always pay attention to my car, with my S65 M3, I always warm up the car before going pass 2.5k rpm.
Not quite sure how to maintain or preserve the Transfer Case though.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 01:27 AM   #6
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Can you get an oil analysis done before you purchase?

Here in the states Blackstone Labs does it for $30....and their report may determine bearing contaminations or other "stuff" in the oil, or not....the S65 (E9x M3) was notorious for early main bearing failures.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 01:40 AM   #7
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

If the oil change is due, and given the joke BMW AU oil service intervals. Sure that could give some idea.

However if you are doing a change every 5k or even 10k. By the time you see anything in the oil, or the analysis. It's already a get the wallet conversation, as it too late.

On the TC, honestly no idea. If your not drifting it, so the car isn't constantly balancing the power, that will help. Like on everything else regular oil changes, help.

Curious, who is this reputable mechanic? If you don't feel like posting, can you DM?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 12:43 AM   #8
///ASN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Bimmer View Post
Can you get an oil analysis done before you purchase?

Here in the states Blackstone Labs does it for $30....and their report may determine bearing contaminations or other "stuff" in the oil, or not....the S65 (E9x M3) was notorious for early main bearing failures.

nah, the dealership will never let me to get an oil analysis upon the inspection.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 12:49 AM   #9
///ASN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
If the oil change is due, and given the joke BMW AU oil service intervals. Sure that could give some idea.

However if you are doing a change every 5k or even 10k. By the time you see anything in the oil, or the analysis. It's already a get the wallet conversation, as it too late.

On the TC, honestly no idea. If your not drifting it, so the car isn't constantly balancing the power, that will help. Like on everything else regular oil changes, help.

Curious, who is this reputable mechanic? If you don't feel like posting, can you DM?
hmm, once i have found the car, i plan to do oil change every 10k (was every 5k on my last E92 335 & M3)

Luckily I never drift nor driving my car aggressively

So, if the vehicle is at 100k mileage along with full stupid BMW service history at 20k km apart, it should still be reliable?
I could only try maintaining the car in a better way given that i am buying a used one.
But just want to find out if there is anything i need to look out as it's my first time with diesel.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 03:45 AM   #10
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///ASN View Post
nah, the dealership will never let me to get an oil analysis upon the inspection.
Mate, If the dealership doesn't let you do it at your cost(oil, filter, labour, at your chosen mechanic), once you've given the deposit(showed ability for full payment). Tell them to sux a it, and keep looking.

Initially i was looking for a E70 X5M (i prefer the style of it to F85), after 1 year I gave up. This was looking at both private and dealer. I had some dealers refused a to allow the car go through BMW PPI. This with me paying for it, and agreeing to have the car flat bed to BMW. Other refused an extended drive, once i let them know I would be taking it to my mechanic for a look over.

Here is a photo of a BMW PPI video, that the selling dealer said was 100% solid. Once they saw this, had their mechanic do another inspection and claimed that was not oil, but road grime.

Yes that is oil droplets, and no BMW had NFI where the oil(road grime) was coming from as it was so bad.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 11:39 AM   #11
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///ASN View Post
Hello RED_Y,

Just a quick one, how to properly maintain the transfer case?

I always pay attention to my car, with my S65 M3, I always warm up the car before going pass 2.5k rpm.
Not quite sure how to maintain or preserve the Transfer Case though.
Service it and run adaptations.
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1860683
https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/d...-done.1375493/
Appreciate 0