11-18-2018, 05:57 PM   #45
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435 & 2016 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdcoupe View Post
I have a garage and I park in it, unfortunately and oddly I don't get it to take it with me everywhere I go so yes, the vehicle does go outside and the weather does affect it.

Remote start is not just for cold or snow, it's just as effective in the summer heat. In fact it's actually a good bit helpful in the summer, health wise, when someone is just jumping in and going and the inside temp is 135+ degrees.
its probably hotter in the summer where I am than where you are (I dont know that for a fact though, but I regularly see temps around 110 or so outside during the summer around my house and town).

It takes about 3 minutes to cool off the car with max air conditioning when I get in it, but I have good window tint on all my windows except for the windshield, and I always put up a good sunscreen in the windshield during the summer when parked outside.

Im all for people having the ability to choose what they need, so dont get me wrong, I am not saying no one needs it. This seems to be one of those things I just "dont get". I would not want my car running without me in it in a store parking lot, or when I am "out and about" so I dont get that part of it. I totally get it at home for people who dont have a garage, or cant park in a garage.

/shrug... Not saying I need to get something for it to be valuable for others. I DO think its "strange" that BMW doesnt really offer it, even though I dont want it. My sister has it on her Used ford edge, which is really a pretty crappy car otherwise.

Its one of those features that seems like should be available on a luxury vehicle even though I would never get it myself. Like I said, just cause I "dont get it" and its not for me doesnt mean I dont think that it should be there for others that want it.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 06:13 PM   #46
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F15,18 M550,20 Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
its probably hotter in the summer where I am than where you are (I dont know that for a fact though, but I regularly see temps around 110 or so outside during the summer around my house and town).

It takes about 3 minutes to cool off the car with max air conditioning when I get in it, but I have good window tint on all my windows except for the windshield, and I always put up a good sunscreen in the windshield during the summer when parked outside.

Im all for people having the ability to choose what they need, so dont get me wrong, I am not saying no one needs it. This seems to be one of those things I just "dont get". I would not want my car running without me in it in a store parking lot, or when I am "out and about" so I dont get that part of it. I totally get it at home for people who dont have a garage, or cant park in a garage.

/shrug... Not saying I need to get something for it to be valuable for others. I DO think its "strange" that BMW doesnt really offer it, even though I dont want it. My sister has it on her Used ford edge, which is really a pretty crappy car otherwise.

Its one of those features that seems like should be available on a luxury vehicle even though I would never get it myself. Like I said, just cause I "dont get it" and its not for me doesnt mean I dont think that it should be there for others that want it.
It's one of those things that once you have it you will likely never go without again. Those that never have may not see the point and I totally get that. It definitely has it's perks though. There is absolutely no harm in having it running in a parking lot with you not present, properly installed makes it so that a potential thief couldn't do anything more with it than if it wasn't running.

With all the manufacturers out there adopting it, yes, one would definitely think a 'premium' brand, such as BMW, should be offering it as well. Although in Germany remote starts are technically illegal (idle laws).

This pic shows what it can potentially be- approx 2 hours sitting in partial sun, 86º ambient temp. A warmed day, sitting for longer certainly makes for some unhealthy breathing!
Attached Images

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 01:02 PM   #47
investor0908
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw x5

hello all, I have seen it asked twice on here without a clear answer or maybe I missed it. does the viper or Clifford remote start require a bypass module because 2 installers in Tulsa told me that they cannot install for BMW x5 f15 model because there is no bypass module available?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 01:17 PM   #48
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by investor0908 View Post
hello all, I have seen it asked twice on here without a clear answer or maybe I missed it. does the viper or Clifford remote start require a bypass module because 2 installers in Tulsa told me that they cannot install for BMW x5 f15 model because there is no bypass module available?
Yes, but not for immobilizer. Post 37-
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdcoupe View Post
Module and sacrifice of a key is required regardless which system is being used.

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 02:24 PM   #49
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by investor0908 View Post
Idk about a module but yes it can and has been done as discussed in this thread.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 05:53 PM   #50
mrfochon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M package

Garage List
Check the latest connected app update. It includes remote start for latest X5.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 11:16 PM   #51
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
I’m annoyed at BMW is that they won’t release a fix or give a refund either.
      03-04-2019, 07:17 AM   #52
taseal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Corvette, '15 X5,

Out of curiousity... Why did BMW never do a remote start? most other less expensive cars have this option... It's not that hard to implement on the maker's end. just a simple code.

our '15 infiniti and nissa had it. My Volt had it... if you try to shift the gear, the car would shut off, so you still needed a key to enter the car and press start button to drive away.

you'd think a brand like bmw would have this.

Same thing like comfort acess and rear camera I guess. standard on most other car average priced cars in 14-15
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 10:06 PM   #53
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by taseal View Post
Out of curiousity... Why did BMW never do a remote start? most other less expensive cars have this option... It's not that hard to implement on the maker's end. just a simple code.

our '15 infiniti and nissa had it. My Volt had it... if you try to shift the gear, the car would shut off, so you still needed a key to enter the car and press start button to drive away.

Same thing like comfort acess and rear camera I guess. standard on most other car average priced cars in 14-15
It did have the option to buy. But not anymore due to a software glitch.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 06:13 PM   #54
jcdmd
BMW Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: F83 M4 Convertible

Any recommended shop in Chicago area?

I am looking for a good shop in Chicago area who's good with remote start installation on 2018 X5.

Any recommendation would be appreciated.

2022 G05 X5 45e
2021 F97 X3MC | 2015 F83 M4 Convertible
      03-05-2019, 06:59 PM   #55
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchoidmd View Post
I am looking for a good shop in Chicago area who's good with remote start installation on 2018 X5.

Any recommendation would be appreciated.
You can try Marty at Soundz Plus.

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 10:41 AM   #56
toko
Registered
Georgia
Rep
Drives: '20 G05

Is remote start retrofit still available for 2015 F15?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 10:50 AM   #57
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toko View Post
Not the factory one, no.

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 07:34 AM   #58
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by toko View Post
No and people who have the BMW one doesn’t work anymore and no fix is planned.
      03-07-2019, 04:28 PM   #59
Hellrot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by taseal View Post

It took a couple generations to get decent cup holders, so who knows.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 05:18 PM   #60
fortresskanada
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 BMW X5 35d,05 Volvo S80 AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDrivingManiac View Post
Get Eberspacher or Webasto parking heater. Problem solved and solved the right way.
Can't find those 2 products in Alberta unfortunately. How do they work?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 04:00 PM   #61
ixlr8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortresskanada View Post
They are diesel powered heaters with a pump. They connect into your coolant system and to your diesel fuel supply. They can be programmed to come on at a certain time, or start them up with a remote. Once the unit is fired up and up to temp, the pump circulates the coolant through out the engine and heater core. They can also turn on the vehicles fan to pre-heat the cabin. I had one on my TDI Golf, worked great. Simple to tie into the vehicle on the VW, no clue what would be involved on the BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 05:29 AM   #62
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortresskanada View Post
I actually just bought one on Ebay. Depending on how long it takes to get here, I'll document the install when I retro it. This one is complete with the coolant pump and lines, along with the the fuel pump and lines..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-X5-F15-...2/333593368368

Here are the parts from real oem https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=64_1992

Here is the fuel lines and pump https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=64_1993

Coolant lines https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=64_2004
      12-27-2020, 09:39 AM   #63
ixlr8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
I actually just bought one on Ebay. Depending on how long it takes to get here, I'll document the install when I retro it. This one is complete with the coolant pump and lines, along with the the fuel pump and lines..
If it is a used one you might want to check the condition of the ignitor before you install it. The ignitor is what died on my unit, I couldn't find a replacement and that is what ended my use of it. Otherwise I loved having the unit, I used it all the time.
Appreciate 0