BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-09-2020, 12:38 PM   #111
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Push lawnmower

When I retired, I started doing the yard myself. I bought a Husqvarna with a Honda engine and love it. It starts on the first pull every single time. 5 years (so far) of flawless service.
Appreciate 1
chassis6540.50
      10-09-2020, 12:45 PM   #112
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Finally, a battery powered leaf blower with enough power

I have a corner lot and about 250 feet of sidewalk plus lawns and slopes to deal with.

Finally, I put the broom and rake down and bought a battery powered leaf blower. My old one was way under powered and I didn't want to buy a gas engine blower. A couple of months ago I bought a 60v Max Dewalt blower. What a beast!

Variable-speed trigger, lots of battery life to do my whole yard in one charge, blows strong enough to move dirt and rocks.

DEWALT FLEXVOLT 60V MAX Blower, 125 MPH, 600 CFM (DCBL772X1)
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 03:48 PM   #113
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smgs1992 View Post
...from an actual power equipment store not home depot(it does make a difference)...
My Deere was from a non-big box Deere distributor. I bought all my other gear from a place that sells commercial equipment (Russo) but is open to the public. I love that place!

Definitely does make a difference! I'd suggest folks find similar places near them since they not only have a wealth of knowledge that you probably won't find at a big box store but also lots more selection (incl for specialty needs).
      10-09-2020, 05:34 PM   #114
Marmugmotleocay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3M Competition

The Honda HRX push mower can't be beat.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 06:28 PM   #115
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Guatemalans.
Croations. they bring the whole family!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 08:09 AM   #116
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

I ended up paying $40 bucks per cut every 2-3 weeks. Fertilize lawn myself. Just paid to do minor fall clean up (will probably do it myself next year, wasn't sure which tools I need).
Bought Husqvarna 570BTS blower and used like new some basic 24'' Ariens snow blower for $350 delivered
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615259.00
      10-10-2020, 08:21 AM   #117
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Will buy Hedge Trimmer from Husqvarna as well for next year. Seems like that and the blower is all thats needed for clean ups
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 08:54 AM   #118
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
I ended up paying $40 bucks per cut every 2-3 weeks. Fertilize lawn myself. Just paid to do minor fall clean up (will probably do it myself next year, wasn't sure which tools I need).
Bought Husqvarna 570BTS blower and used like new some basic 24'' Ariens snow blower for $350 delivered
good move!
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615259.00
      10-10-2020, 09:03 AM   #119
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Got a cub cadet xt2 riding mower from an actual power equipment store not home depot(it does make a difference) that’s been great
Echo leaf blower had for almost 10yrs still works like new. Starts up immediately everytime
Husqvarna chainsaw 435 that while ive only had to use it a few times starts right up even if it hasnt been touched in over a year. Cut through anything i’ve needed
Stihl weedeater works great starts right up and has plenty of power
I have a Johnsonred chainsaw, which is just a different brand name for Husqvarna. It has to be going on 20 years old now. It's a beast. I've even run it underwater several times (don't ask). About 8 years ago I bought a Stihl 16" 250 saw. Effing thing was a complete PIA to get started when cold. Always would flood. I got so pissed with it, I finally ran it over and crushed it with my tractor and then set it on fire. The only thing steel about Stihl equipment is it stihl won't start; POS crap. I replaced it with an electric Snapper, which I use for those 20-minute jobs you need a saw for.

I have two Husky weed eaters, also well over 20 years old. One is actually a brush cutter (handlebars and vest) with steel cutting blades for saplings. I'll never get anything other than Husqvarna cutting equipment from now on. Learned my lesson with Stihl.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 09:12 AM   #120
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I have a Johnsonred chainsaw, which is just a different brand name for Husqvarna. It has to be going on 20 years old now. It's a beast. I've even run it underwater several times (don't ask). About 8 years ago I bought a Stihl 16" 250 saw. Effing thing was a complete PIA to get started when cold. Always would flood. I got so pissed with it, I finally ran it over and crushed it with my tractor and then set it on fire. The only thing steel about Stihl equipment is it stihl won't start; POS crap. I replaced it with an electric Snapper, which I use for those 20-minute jobs you need a saw for.

I have two Husky weed eaters, also well over 20 years old. One is actually a brush cutter (handlebars and vest) with steel cutting blades for saplings. I'll never get anything other than Husqvarna cutting equipment from now on. Learned my lesson with Stihl.
That’s surprising your experience with the MS250 i’m pretty familiar with using that before i bought my husky and always had a good experience.
I’m very happy with the husqvarna though and have had experience with a couple of their bigger saws as well. Debated both my 435 and the 250 but i got a better price on the husky so that was my reasoning behind that choice. I’ve used both and like both so i’d personally be happy with either
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 09:15 AM   #121
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Croations. they bring the whole family!
Not sure we have any Croations here but we have lots of Guatemalans.
      10-10-2020, 09:21 AM   #122
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That’s surprising your experience with the MS250 i’m pretty familiar with using that before i bought my husky and always had a good experience.
I’m very happy with the husqvarna though and have had experience with a couple of their bigger saws as well. Debated both my 435 and the 250 but i got a better price on the husky so that was my reasoning behind that choice. I’ve used both and like both so i’d personally be happy with either
The Stihl cut fine once it started. It would ALWAYS require pulling the plug and drying out the cylinder. And I kept it dry* since the day I bought it. Stihl just made it too fancy with their easy-start compression release junk. It wasn't any more powerful than the Johnsonred.

I also have s a Stihl 4-Mix polesaw. It starts well, but will stall on branches larger than 4". Not impressed with it. I mostly got it because the 4-Mix engine, which is 4-stroke engine that uses 2-stroke oil pre-mix fuel. The engine design was originally developed by BMW as an airplane engine design. Really neat to hear it run.

*dumped the tank and ran it out of fuel every time I put it away.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 10:08 AM   #123
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:
The Stihl cut fine once it started. It would ALWAYS require pulling the plug and drying out the cylinder. And I kept it dry* since the day I bought it. Stihl just made it too fancy with their easy-start compression release junk. It wasn't any more powerful than the Johnsonred.

I also have s a Stihl 4-Mix polesaw. It starts well, but will stall on branches larger than 4". Not impressed with it. I mostly got it because the 4-Mix engine, which is 4-stroke engine that uses 2-stroke oil pre-mix fuel. The engine design was originally developed by BMW as an airplane engine design. Really neat to hear it run.

I’ve had similar experiences with Stihl saws, a bit part of the problem is the exhaust obstruction they have to put on them with the screens and such, to make them compliant
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 10:29 AM   #124
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Not sure we have any Croations here but we have lots of Guatemalans.
Our local Home Depot does not carry either brand.....
      10-10-2020, 11:24 AM   #125
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Does Stihl design and manufacturer their own engines in-house, or do they buy from Echo, B-S, Honda, etc.?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 11:31 AM   #126
JerryW235
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 40i; 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Does Stihl design and manufacturer their own engines in-house, or do they buy from Echo, B-S, Honda, etc.?
Stihl makes their own. Most of what is sold in the US is made in the US.
      10-10-2020, 04:03 PM   #127
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

Quote:

I never really had an issue starting it the times i used one which was a fair bit. However the easiest starting 2stroke i have and have used would definitely be my echo blower. Pull once with choke on. Turn choke off, pull and it fires right up everytime even after sitting all winter
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 04:17 PM   #128
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryW235 View Post
Stihl makes their own. Most of what is sold in the US is made in the US.
If you watch "Life below zero" they all have Stihl chainsaws. Thats pretty telling
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 04:36 PM   #129
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
If you watch "Life below zero" they all have Stihl chainsaws. Thats pretty telling
You've heard of sponsorship advertising, right
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615259.00
      10-10-2020, 04:47 PM   #130
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
I’ve had similar experiences with Stihl saws, a bit part of the problem is the exhaust obstruction they have to put on them with the screens and such, to make them compliant
I have six (6) 2-stroke small-engine pieces of yard equipment , Three (3) Echo products and three (3) Husqvarna products. I've never had any problem starting any of them. They've all seen a lot of use. That Stihl chainsaw sucked. If I had a 1/4 stick of dynamite I'd have blown the frickin' thing up.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 05:17 PM   #131
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

Quote:
You've heard of sponsorship advertising, right
nooooooo
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 07:53 PM   #132
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
I have six (6) 2-stroke small-engine pieces of yard equipment , Three (3) Echo products and three (3) Husqvarna products. I've never had any problem starting any of them. They've all seen a lot of use. That Stihl chainsaw sucked. If I had a 1/4 stick of dynamite I'd have blown the frickin' thing up.
Stihl saws used to be good, most of their stuff now is garbage. I fix equipment on the weekends and have seen lots of quality issues with Stihls the dealers won't warranty. Also Stihl has made is basically impossible to buy parts in the aftermarket. Those two things will make me steer clear of them, and suggest my customers do the same.

My personal saw is a German made 1995 Makita (Dolmar). Never had an issue with it and it just screams.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17309.00