BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-18-2022, 04:49 AM   #1
illerbiller
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F15

Lowering with DHP and M-Sport

good day friends, have a 2018 with DHP and Adaptive M suspension and I'd like to lower it for handling improvement(s). I was leaning towards the KW's but one shop said that the KW's interfere with the DHP whereas regular lowering springs like H&R and Eibach do not. Another shop says that I can run the KW's no problem saying its the same part number as the X5M and he has seen a few with the KW's..... Does anyone on here running KW's with DHP/Msport? any issues?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 08:36 AM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by illerbiller View Post
good day friends, have a 2018 with DHP and Adaptive M suspension and I'd like to lower it for handling improvement(s). I was leaning towards the KW's but one shop said that the KW's interfere with the DHP whereas regular lowering springs like H&R and Eibach do not. Another shop says that I can run the KW's no problem saying its the same part number as the X5M and he has seen a few with the KW's..... Does anyone on here running KW's with DHP/Msport? any issues?
What KW product is in question?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 10:32 AM   #3
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
M Sport has nothing to do with this, and I'm not sure what differences exist between the X5M suspension and DHP, but by interfere they mean you will lose the adjustable factory suspension settings, or EDC (electronic damper control), if you remove the factory suspension and replace it KW V3s. Those buttons on your center console will no longer change from comfort to sport, etc.

For most people that go this route, they aren't worried about that, they're looking for a better ride/lower ride height.

With lowering springs you won't lose those factory suspension options, though not sure which ones will work w/ DHP? I have Eibach on my non-DHP and I love them, but not sure if they work w/ DHP? I know they aren't compatible with X5's with rear air suspension for obvious reasons.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2022, 01:24 PM   #4
illerbiller
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Quote:
What KW product is in question?
KW v3's
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 01:26 PM   #5
illerbiller
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Quote:
M Sport has nothing to do with this, and I'm not sure what differences exist between the X5M suspension and DHP, but by interfere they mean you will lose the adjustable factory suspension settings, or EDC (electronic damper control), if you remove the factory suspension and replace it KW V3s. Those buttons on your center console will no longer change from comfort to sport, etc.

For most people that go this route, they aren't worried about that, they're looking for a better ride/lower ride height.

With lowering springs you won't lose those factory suspension options, though not sure which ones will work w/ DHP? I have Eibach on my non-DHP and I love them, but not sure if they work w/ DHP? I know they aren't compatible with X5's with rear air suspension for obvious reasons.
it's the DHP im concerned about...wanting to see if anyone is running the KW V3's with DHP
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 01:34 PM   #6
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

KW V3 coilovers will replace EDC shocks. So DHP functionality will have to be coded out. EDC Delete kit is another option.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 01:35 PM   #7
illerbiller
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
KW V3 coilovers will replace EDC shocks. So DHP functionality will have to be coded out. EDC Delete kit is another option.
DHP functionality? do you know what DHP is? "DHPynamic Handling Package" it's the active sway bars and torque vectoring systems that are always on... DHP and Adaptive suspension are two totally different things... DHP cannot be coded out but the "Adaptive Suspension" has to be coded out when installing V3's ...the "Adaptive Suspension" is the rocker switch beside the shifter which controls the damper settings and some of the drivetrain settings as well
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 01:27 PM   #8
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
DHP functionality? do you know what DHP is? "DHPynamic Handling Package" it's the active sway bars and torque vectoring systems that are always on... DHP and Adaptive suspension are two totally different things... DHP cannot be coded out but the "Adaptive Suspension" has to be coded out when installing V3's ...the "Adaptive Suspension" is the rocker switch beside the shifter which controls the damper settings and some of the drivetrain settings as well
Sounds like you already know the answer to your question...

However, DHP, while always active, is also tuned differently when selecting between driving modes, so coding out M Adaptive might cause issues with DHP as well, but I can't say for certain.

H&R VTF will allow you to lower while retaining the EDC, the only issue with the VTF is if you go too low you can get a bouncy ride.

I'm not sure what handling improvements you're looking for over what you already have. My X5 stays flat in hard corners, controlled under hard braking and performs pretty darn well for a 5k# SUV. Far better than others I've been in with suspension upgrades. Honestly I would not want to lose the ability for the vehicle to monitor and control dampening. Thats one reason the ride is far better with M Adaptive and DHP. If I had base suspension then I could see replacing everything.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 1
jmack1231300.50
      07-20-2022, 12:58 PM   #9
Cranswick852
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5M 40d

Agree. I have DHP in M-Sport and wouldn't want, don't need, to change the ride. Lowering for aesthetics is a matter of personal taste. I'd lower mine a bit but not at the expense of the DHP functionality and ride quality.

Bottom line is I experience the ride every time I'm in the X5, but I don't see it's side profile. Do you want it to look "good" or ride well?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 01:00 PM   #10
illerbiller
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranswick852 View Post
Agree. I have DHP in M-Sport and wouldn't want, don't need, to change the ride. Lowering for aesthetics is a matter of personal taste. I'd lower mine a bit but not at the expense of the DHP functionality and ride quality.

Bottom line is I experience the ride every time I'm in the X5, but I don't see it's side profile. Do you want it to look "good" or ride well?
want to lower for better handling and lower centre of gravity.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2022, 04:27 PM   #11
Cranswick852
Private First Class
Rep

Lower CoG. It'll drop by a bit, which should reduce roll in corners, but it's still an SUV and so a tall vehicle. The percentage reduction in CoG is quite small. Besides, reducing roll in hard corners, without sacrificing ride quality, is why you have active sway bars - which you get with DHP.

Better handling. You have adaptive suspension, designed to provide the best ride in all conditions. Soft on good surfaces, when being driven leisurely. Firmer on rougher roads and/or when being driven hard. The best of both worlds?

There's a whole bunch of F15 owners out there who wish they had DHP and active suspension in their rides. They wish they had what you have.

This isn't criticism, just food for thought. It's your ride and you do with it what you wish. I hope it works out for you.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2022, 10:10 PM   #12
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Replacing shocks will have no affect on DHP. That is a separate function from the M adaptive suspension. You can have one without the other but M adaptive suspension comes with the DHP package. DHP is limited slip and electronic torque sway bars. The KWs will come with the deletes that just plug in the wheel well and trick the system so you don't get an error code. Period.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2022, 03:24 AM   #13
Cranswick852
Private First Class
Rep

Agree, should have been clearer, Replacement suspension will not replace/remove DHP.

However, you're in the realms of diminishing returns with regard to body roll when you consider the lower CoG added to DHP's active sway bars (lower CoG was an advantage noted by OP).

I've also heard (I maybe wrong) that DHP and M Adaptive Suspension work together, in harmony, to provide the best ride in varying conditions and pace. Replacement suspensions may well include elements to fool the system that all is OEM and whilst that may prevent errors being thrown, it would also throw out the harmony between DHP and M Adaptive Suspension (which DHP and the vehicle still think is fitted).

That's it, my last contribution to this thread. There is no right answer, it's a matter of personal taste, risk appetite, how much you like your existing ride or find the ride let's you down. OP, hope it works out for you whichever route you take - enjoy YOUR X5
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 02:12 AM   #14
illerbiller
Enlisted Member
Rep

doesn't the X5M have DHP as well? don't they use KW v3's? DHP is not adjustable or able to get coded, it's part of the hardware that remains constant.
Appreciate 0