BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-13-2021, 08:13 AM   #1
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Have you put aftermarket seats in your car?

Who here has replaced their factory seat(s) with lightweight seats from the aftermarket?

I'm specifically looking at fixed-back composite constructed buckets such as the Sparco EVO and Recaro Pole Position. Both weigh about the same with the Recaros having a ~$300 price premium. These would have the velour black skin. Recaros are more understated without the excessive brand badging that the Sparcos have (more boy racer). The EVOs, however, come in specific sizes that better suit individual driver measurements. For example, their medium/standard size are made for waist sizes up to 34". Whereas the Pole Positions come in a Large, one size fits "all". Anyone over a 38" waist should not apply. Does anyone have any feedback to share such as height, comfort level, ingress/egress etc? Use of sliders or bolted directly to floor?

Going in a 987 Cayman daily driver, no track use
5'9"
165 lbs
32" waist
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 05:31 PM   #2
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
I've got Cobra Nogaro's in my DD M2: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1675296

I like them for a few reasons:
- I can re-use the M2 sliders (no need to buy new ones, no need to re-mount the seatbelts)
- The sides are high enough to provide great support, but low enough to not require lap belt passthroughs (which would have meant pulling the seatbelt apart)
- Nogaro circuits have passthroughs for Schroth QuickFits (and have been approved to work together)
- I can send my own materials for them to upholster in house (no need to pay extra) (and you can also have them debadged--no boyracer vibes)

I'm about your size (5'10" 170 32" waist), and find that the Nogaros and Sparco QRTs fit me best, though the pole positions are pretty good as well. My advice is to go somewhere and sit in a bunch to get a sense of what feels good to you (e.g. the OMP WRCs don't fit me at all). It sounds like you don't care about harness passthroughs, but if you did, that's the number one reason to sit in a bunch of them--they've all got different heights and some of them are very off (again, OMP has this issue for me).

If you regularly have other people in the passenger seat, having different sizes might be important to you, hence wanting something like the evo. I have occasionally had friends with > 34" waists in my passenger seats, and they are not happy! That said, you probably won't need a larger size.

If money is no object, getting the Cayman GT4 seats feels like the right move for an OEM+ look.
Appreciate 1
No Boost4021.00
      02-14-2021, 06:12 AM   #3
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

I bough the pole positions mainly because the version sold in Europe which I ordered from Germany is compatible with oem seat belts and oem pyrotechnic seat belt retractors. (My car is a daily.). This install obviously deleted the side airbags and active head rests by swapping seats so I felt it was vital to preserve the most functionality possible from the oem seat belts. (I definitely don’t want to have to run harnesses in my daily.)

Also these seats have been oem performance seats and are known to comfortably accommodate a decent range of body types so I felt it would be better for a daily with varying passengers.

I run them with the Brey Krause adapters on oem sliders both sides and have been extremely happy with this set up and have zero regrets:

Last edited by Biginboca; 02-14-2021 at 06:22 AM..
Appreciate 1
No Boost4021.00
      02-14-2021, 08:27 AM   #4
No Boost
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
I bough the pole positions mainly because the version sold in Europe which I ordered from Germany is compatible with oem seat belts and oem pyrotechnic seat belt retractors. (My car is a daily.). This install obviously deleted the side airbags and active head rests by swapping seats so I felt it was vital to preserve the most functionality possible from the oem seat belts. (I definitely don’t want to have to run harnesses in my daily.)

Also these seats have been oem performance seats and are known to comfortably accommodate a decent range of body types so I felt it would be better for a daily with varying passengers.

I run them with the Brey Krause adapters on oem sliders both sides and have been extremely happy with this set up and have zero regrets:

I think I'm going with those exact (newest edition) seats. Like you, they match my interior almost perfectly. What are your body measurements if I may ask?

Our plates are similar too. NAMR6MT

I've been scanning your CSL build thread. Impressive stuff. I'm also on the weight shaving train full steam ahead. Already shed 40 lbs of sound deadening material mainly surrounding the engine bay which also enhances the flat 6 sound...15 lbs aftermarket exhaust...forged wheels...etc etc. I think the seats are going to be a big one though. I'm guessing the factory's weigh between 50-60 lbs with their heat and electric recline. How much did you save?

Last edited by No Boost; 02-14-2021 at 08:53 AM..
Appreciate 2
Biginboca3763.50
overcoil3073.50
      02-14-2021, 08:54 AM   #5
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Boost View Post
I think I'm going with those exact (newest edition) seats. Like you, they match my interior almost perfectly. What are your body measurements if I may ask?

Our plates are similar too. NAMR6MT
I’m 5’9” and 200lbs ~34” waist, more of a muscular build than thin build.

The seats took off about 60lbs total, and the car is down over 300lbs since stock. Flat 6 sound is delicious I would welcome as much of that as possible lol
Appreciate 1
No Boost4021.00
      02-14-2021, 10:22 AM   #6
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
I'm cool with replacing seats as long as the car was a track car and/or didn't have any safety systems (thinking in-seat airbags) I'd be disabling. I'd be afraid of a exposing myself to litigation if someone else was hurt in an accident.
      02-14-2021, 01:16 PM   #7
No Boost
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
I'm cool with replacing seats as long as the car was a track car and/or didn't have any safety systems (thinking in-seat airbags) I'd be disabling. I'd be afraid of a exposing myself to litigation if someone else was hurt in an accident.
Yeah, my 2007 doesn't have seat airbags. They're in the doors. As far as safety is concerned, these modern glass fiber reinforced polymer shells are tested to take a 24 g crash impact and have FIA approval all while weighing around 17 lbs (Recaro Pole Position). If my passenger and I were to be subjected to an accident, I'd prefer to be sitting in a seat that's designed for competitive racing.
Appreciate 0