BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-08-2016, 01:29 AM   #331
Neuera09
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 Xline with MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxs1234 View Post
I assumed it had something to do with the cornering lights... Just saw now that it's in a mirror folder so makes sense why it does that... It's a interesting feature but I don't like it
What is the exact folder that you coded? I have my cornering wizard on and it doesn't do what you just described.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 10:02 AM   #332
Maxs1234
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuera09
Quote:
I assumed it had something to do with the cornering lights... Just saw now that it's in a mirror folder so makes sense why it does that... It's a interesting feature but I don't like it
What is the exact folder that you coded? I have my cornering wizard on and it doesn't do what you just described.
I coded this : BDC_BODY 3110 ASP_ABA_AKTIVIERUNG
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 10:32 PM   #333
MissVito
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 M60i, M240ix

Exclamation Soft close doors popping open when driving. Rearview camera issues

I had this issue within the first year I had the vehicle. I was accelerating to highway speed while making a fairly sharp turn onto a highway on-ramp, it was early morning and dark, all of a sudden my interior lights turn on, door open indicator and gong comes on, and my driver's door is ajar, but still locked with the sound of air rushing through the open door. Scared the living daylights out of me. I'm driving and holding onto the door as I had no idea what was going to happen, there was nowhere to pull over safely. I waited until I was alone on the highway, slowed down a little and unlocked the doors, opened and slammed it shut. The same thing happened to each of the doors eventually, but luckily the doors didn't actually open up. (Seems to be related to going over a bump and turning at the same time, or making a a fast turn) One time I had my dog in the car when it happened right where she was sitting, I would have freaked if I had a kid there. I brought it in and they changed out cables, latches, etc., there was actually a service bulletin/recall for it. It hasn't happened again, thank God. It seems that issue has been happening for several years and on other models with soft close doors. Now I noticed that you can get the comfort entry package without soft close. I won't get those on the next one. I filed a report/complaint with the NHTSA. I had to be pretty pushy to get them to believe me. I actually took a video with my phone when it happened and showed it into the dealer, then I finally got some action. They had me email them the video and they sent it to BMW. What really irks me, and this is any brand of vehicle, is they try and make it seem like *we* are doing something wrong and causing the problem. Especially since I'm a woman, but I'm a woman who is mechanically adept, and growing up I worked on cars with my dad, so I'm not a dummy like they think.My theory is there might be some twisting of the body going around a turn fast so maybe there's a design flaw in the soft-close latch assembly and it disengages slightly. Also, sometimes the rearview camera doesn't activate, there is just a blank screen, once there was a gray screen with the yellow triangle. It seems to be related to putting it in reverse while my phone Bluetooth is trying to connect. I have to shut the car off and let everything turn off completely then retry and it usually fixes it. I don't know if it's worth having the dealer mess with it. They might screw something else up.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 11:40 AM   #334
TortugaX5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15 X5 X35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortugaX5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TortugaX5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talltress View Post
I've had my 2014 X5 M-Sport diesel for about a month now. No issues until yesterday, was backing up into garage all of a sudden the music stopped playing. Screen went blank then No signal popped up. The system restarted a few seconds after and carried on playing music and displaying rear camera. Assuming it crashed for what ever reason and needed to reboot. Not a big deal if it doesn't happen too ofter.
Like this?
[IMG]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...907/3r2mqn.jpg[/IMG]

I've had this same thing happen twice in the first month of ownership. Seems that perhaps it's an iDrive re-boot issue. I've noticed that it will reboot after some of the iDrive controls are pushed on the center dash.

Very weird, especially as it's on start up and typically when I'm backing out and using the back up cam.
it's been 4 months since taking my new '16 x35i home and I'll be taking her in for her first service appointment to clear up these iDrive reboot issues.

I just did a 1500 mile trip to my parents and back and my iDrive system rebooted/stopped working 4-5 times during the trip. Sometimes while on the road and other times while getting gas or snacks. I hope that BMW can fix it and provide some explanation, as I know other owners and forum members have had similar issues.

I will let you know what I learn, appointment is April 15.

edit: I have 3500 miles on the vehicle.
UPDATE: I brought the car in for service this morning. My SA stated that they may need to order parts once they find the problem. I hope that's not the case.

Either way, I will let you know what is wrong. and what the repair recommendation is. I know a number of X5 owners have stated they're having this problem with their iDrive system.

PS. they gave me a red x3 28i for a loaner. love the color but glad I went with white. reds too loud for this car.

UPDATE: I spoke with my SA and I'm getting my vehicle back with a fresh reprogramming. BMW suggested a reprogramming the system and if that doesn't fix it they will replace. I will have more info when I pick up my vehicle later this evening
      04-15-2016, 06:20 PM   #335
smithr
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M-Sport

2014 X5 m-sport here, had the car almost two years and 26,000 miles.

- iDrive occasionally reboots. rare.
- A/C blower fan failed at 14,000 miles. Fixed by dealer
- Occasional squeaky rattle from rear.
- Expensive leather is not holding up to daily driving.
- Cooled seats are useless.
- Have seen the engine refuse to shut off, but rare.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 09:29 PM   #336
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Not a problem as I haven't gotten it yet.

Ordered a 2016 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d. Should have it end of this week. Come to find that the Rear-Mounted Bicycle Carrier I purchased for a lot of money will not work on the new X5. It was the one that used to fit the tow mounts. They changed the design so now you need a receiver similar to a tow hitch. Looks like that would cost over a $1000 for the new carrier and the receiver.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 09:41 PM   #337
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Well. I do not understand the desire of this one or other like cameras at all speeds However, that is what is nice about coding. Offers additional flexibility to customize these ultimate machines that we have the pleasure of driving. And, for those that take the time to learn how to do themselves can easily test out these functions.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 01:41 AM   #338
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: V8

Question: Is the right side view mirror supposed to tilt downwards when on REVERSE? I don't remember if it always did but it's not doing it.
      04-29-2016, 01:44 AM   #339
Neuera09
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanvas View Post
Question: Is the right side view mirror supposed to tilt downwards when on REVERSE? I don't remember if it always did but it's not doing it.
Yes it does tilt. Make sure that your mirror adjustment button (on driver side door) is switched over to the left. If not, the right side mirror will NOT tilt.

Last edited by Neuera09; 04-29-2016 at 03:59 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2016, 03:02 AM   #340
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0605260 View Post
Ordered a 2016 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d. Should have it end of this week. Come to find that the Rear-Mounted Bicycle Carrier I purchased for a lot of money will not work on the new X5. It was the one that used to fit the tow mounts. They changed the design so now you need a receiver similar to a tow hitch. Looks like that would cost over a $1000 for the new carrier and the receiver.
0605260 Not to be picky, but why is this an issue with the X5 F15?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 05:43 PM   #341
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanvas View Post
It allegedly tilts down but it was so little that I did not notice any at all until I coded. Now it is perfect. You have to remember to keep mirror selector switch to the left or it will not tilt.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2016, 06:57 PM   #342
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton
Quote:
0605260 Not to be picky, but why is this an issue with the X5 F15?
The holes are in the same place as in the 2011. They changed the receiver screw holes for no reason that would make sense to me. So the issue is that I've got a $800 bike carrier that I can't use and the new one would cost me over $1000. Not sure about anyone else but spending $1800 for something that could have been left as it was is a problem. Planned obsolescence to the extreme.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 11:45 AM   #343
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
The holes are in the same place as in the 2011. They changed the receiver screw holes for no reason that would make sense to me. So the issue is that I've got a $800 bike carrier that I can't use and the new one would cost me over $1000. Not sure about anyone else but spending $1800 for something that could have been left as it was is a problem. Planned obsolescence to the extreme.
0605260 Maybe, but the X5 is working/functioning as designed so not an issue....Caveat Emptor
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 11:01 AM   #344
iebimmerguy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5

2015 X5 3.5 X-Drive rattling pinging noise

My car is at the dealer going on a week. I have 7100 miles on it and she has a rattling noise that you can hear with the windows down, when driving in an alley or along side a building. My passengers tell me "sounds like your car is pinging or falling apart"
Completely stock inside and out.
Drove with the dealer foreman and he was saying the N55 is sort of a noisy engine but that my noise is more of a flapping noise.
Update 2 days ago was that they cannot find the source, but mentioned the turbo as a possibility.
My car also has a metallic tapping noise randomly with the engine OFF coming from the VVT. Not sure if this is related or not.
Discouraging to me knowing that this brand new car is in there being driven like crap over and over as they try and correct the issue.
Anyone else have similar issue?
I use premium Shell or Chevron fuel as I do in my other BMW's, thats the first thing I was asked when I drove the car and they heard the sounds from underneath the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 12:38 PM   #345
aw305
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC Alpine White

iebimmerguy maybe you should contact BMWNA. Keep us informed to what BMW finds out.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 10:09 AM   #346
LCI550M
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 and F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by iebimmerguy View Post
My car is at the dealer going on a week. I have 7100 miles on it and she has a rattling noise that you can hear with the windows down, when driving in an alley or along side a building. My passengers tell me "sounds like your car is pinging or falling apart"
Completely stock inside and out.
Drove with the dealer foreman and he was saying the N55 is sort of a noisy engine but that my noise is more of a flapping noise.
Update 2 days ago was that they cannot find the source, but mentioned the turbo as a possibility.
My car also has a metallic tapping noise randomly with the engine OFF coming from the VVT. Not sure if this is related or not.
Discouraging to me knowing that this brand new car is in there being driven like crap over and over as they try and correct the issue.
Anyone else have similar issue?
I use premium Shell or Chevron fuel as I do in my other BMW's, thats the first thing I was asked when I drove the car and they heard the sounds from underneath the vehicle.
Keep us posted. This sounds like a potential serious issue.

Could it be wastegate rattle in the turbo housing? This was a common thing with the N54 motors. Have't seen any case of this for the N55.

I have seen several cases of N55 engines with faulty rod bearings causing rod knock and complete engine failure. One case the engine had less than 1K miles on a brand new X5

Another thing it could be some sort of purge valve located on the engine. My N54 had some sort of purge valve and it was common for it to tick constantly during idle. Sounds like a faulty valve but it wasn't. Can't remember what purge valve it was though. Since it was common for that engine i never had it changed.

Joe
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 11:23 PM   #347
iebimmerguy
Registered
Rep

I stopped in today to check on things with the CA.
They ruled out the turbo being the culprit, and said that they dropped the exhaust and are thinking something came apart in one of the Cats. (Sounds like they are just searching and ruling things out)
Today's a week and I'm driving around in a 535i loaner which my 6'5 frame has trouble getting into without hitting my head. Currently at 7 days and counting.....
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 12:11 AM   #348
LCI550M
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 and F15

BTW which dealer is servicing your car? Did they say what their next steps is going to be?

Driving a 535 isn't that bad. They could have given you a 320i

Joe
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 11:44 PM   #349
iebimmerguy
Registered
Rep

Ontario BMW is servicing it. Yeah the 535i is great once I get in it, but ingress egress is a little lacking.
I've searched and searched and don't see anyone else having issues similar to mine, so I'm hoping that mine was just an anomaly.

UPDATE- Spoke to BMW NA and they knew nothing about my vehicle. Said only the local field rep would have info on my car.
The dealer finally gave me an update on day 14 and told me that they were able to take video of the noise and send it to BMW. Replacement of the Turbo is the solution they claim.

Last edited by iebimmerguy; 05-16-2016 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: Update on issue
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 06:56 PM   #350
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evandro13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diper View Post
Just out of curiosity, when or where would someone need remote start for?
Maybe a local phenomena, but I never heard of it in Netherlands. Doesn't sound very thief-proof nor enviromental friendly.
its great to warm up the car in the am... especially when its 10 degrees out(fahrenheit), also the doors stay locked but if someone does get in i believe the engine switches off if the brake pedal is depressed.
I have a unit heater in my garage that I put in way before remote start was popular. It's on a timer and heats the garage for about 15 minutes before I leave. The car is very comfortable when I get in.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 07:34 PM   #351
RDG80M3X
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 G80X

Something I recently noticed... it seems as if the front ambient lighting on the dashboard is dimmer compared to the rest of the car. Looking at the pictures, you can tell that the ambient light on the dashboard is clearly dimmer than the driver side. Also look at the front passenger ambient lighting compared to the dashboard. The dashboard is clearly dimmer correct? Am I going crazy or can you guys see this too? Normally this wouldn't be a big issue but my OCD is kicking in. Could it be a faulty connection? I'm considering whether or not I should take the vehicle in now to have this addressed, or if I should just wait until its first service to bring it up with the SA. What do you guys think?

EDIT: looking at the pictures I posted, its hard to tell a difference (the first two pictures have the most accurate representation IMO) but in person it is a noticeable difference. I peeked over at a couple of X5's in the dark, and sure enough their dashboard ambient light was much brighter.... Can you guys see this too or is it just me? lol

Last edited by RDG80M3X; 05-10-2016 at 07:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 11:00 PM   #352
Neuera09
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggwoll View Post
Something I recently noticed... it seems as if the front ambient lighting on the dashboard is dimmer compared to the rest of the car. Looking at the pictures, you can tell that the ambient light on the dashboard is clearly dimmer than the driver side. Also look at the front passenger ambient lighting compared to the dashboard. The dashboard is clearly dimmer correct? Am I going crazy or can you guys see this too? Normally this wouldn't be a big issue but my OCD is kicking in. Could it be a faulty connection? I'm considering whether or not I should take the vehicle in now to have this addressed, or if I should just wait until its first service to bring it up with the SA. What do you guys think?

EDIT: looking at the pictures I posted, its hard to tell a difference (the first two pictures have the most accurate representation IMO) but in person it is a noticeable difference. I peeked over at a couple of X5's in the dark, and sure enough their dashboard ambient light was much brighter.... Can you guys see this too or is it just me? lol
Yup, its your OCD at full strength! LoL. Mine is just like yours. Wait, unless mine has issues too.
Appreciate 0