BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-26-2018, 11:56 AM   #1
Nuckle
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Defender X

Invisihitch - Details

So I ready through several threads talking about this product but did not find a ton of detail. So after going though them directly I thought I would share this information for anyone interested in this option.

Here's some information about our hitch:

First, our hitch is completely invisible while not in use. There is no visible steel beam and no unsightly bumper cutout. In other words, no loss of style. Your X5M will look exactly like it does right now when you're not using the hitch.

Here's how we accomplish this:

Our steel hitch beam is designed as a replacement for the metal bumper that's currently hiding behind your car's plastic bumper cover. Our hitch bolts to the vehicle exactly like the original bumper, and it replaces the bumper's function. And instead of requiring a hole in your decorative bumper cover, the opening to our hitch points down toward the ground.

When you are ready to use the hitch, insert our ballmount or rack receiver upward into the hidden latch, and it instantly locks to the hitch beam. Then, when you are done using the hitch, reach underneath and turn a hidden handle to release the removable piece. There's a key lock integrated into our design to prevent anyone else from removing the ballmount or rack receiver.

This design gives you two benefits in addition to the obvious aesthetic advantage: 1) in the case of a rear-end accident, our hitch beam has no permanently protruding receiver so it flattens uniformly and distributes collision energy across the rear of the vehicle; and 2) our hitch has no forward/aft play in the ballmount connection. Plus, unlike the BMW-dealer hitch, the tow ball on our hitch is a user-swappable ball, so you can tow trailers with different size couplers.

We offer our invisible X5M hitch in two different packages,

(all prices include shipping):

Rack-Only Package

$615 -

Invisible hitch with vertical latching mechanism

Removable 2” square receiver for racks (not tow rated)

Perfect for bike racks, ski racks, cargo platforms, etc

Complete Tow Package

$1219 -

Invisible hitch with vertical latching mechanism

Two separate removable pieces:

Removable ballmount for towing

Removable 2” square receiver for racks

Safety-chain attachment points

OEM trailer-lights wiring harness

OEM control module for the wiring harness

Programming service to activate the OEM control module

Additional custom coding of the vehicle at your option

7-way and 4-way electrical receptacle

Rated for 7700 lbs towed weight / 600 lbs tongue weight

For towing, our one-piece ballmount performs differently than the typical ballmount that slides into a hitch receiver. Our ballmount inserts upward and latches directly to the hitch beam, creating a solid connection to the vehicle with no play. This eliminates the jerking and banging that often accompanies towing during stops and starts. It feels more like an extension of your vehicle than a connected load -- which is easier on your vehicle's transmission and gentler on your spine.

Our trailer-lights wiring system is the BMW OEM harness and BMW controller. It is designed to integrate directly with the vehicle's sophisticated electronics. The tow harness plugs into factory connectors and communicates with the vehicle's on-board computer and monitoring systems. This enables such advanced features as:

automatic disabling of rear park sensors while trailer is attached;

dash indicators of malfunctioning trailer lights;

intervention with braking in the event of repetitive trailer sway; and

rear-camera enhanced mode for backing up to trailers without an assistant.

Please note that the BMW OEM harness must be activated by reprogramming the vehicle after the harness is installed. The reprogramming service (via the internet) is included with our hitch.

I hope the above information is helpful. Should you have any questions, feel free to jot us a follow-up email. Or to place your order, please give us a call at (678) 400-0121, Mon-Fri 9am-5pm Eastern.

My local BMW Dealer quoted $735 for installation. I have attached detailed instructions that were sent to me by Invisihitch.

Thanks
Appreciate 2
      03-21-2019, 05:49 AM   #2
Jeffwels
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 x5m

Has anyone ordered one of these recently? I reached out to invisihitch Monday with a call and email and still haven’t heard back. I know this post is about a year old but still very interested in the full tow package kit.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 07:07 AM   #3
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85, G05, E46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffwels View Post
Has anyone ordered one of these recently? I reached out to invisihitch Monday with a call and email and still haven’t heard back. I know this post is about a year old but still very interested in the full tow package kit.
Invisihitch is out of business. Some of the employees started a new company called Stealth Hitch which I installed recently and it has some nice improvements over Invisihitch.

If you ask them, they will provide a 10% off code.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 09:03 AM   #4
gan23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M '18 XM’23 X5 50e 24

I'm perfectly happy with my Stealth hitch
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 10:13 AM   #5
Jeffwels
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarif1 View Post
Invisihitch is out of business. Some of the employees started a new company called Stealth Hitch which I installed recently and it has some nice improvements over Invisihitch.

If you ask them, they will provide a 10% off code.
Awesome info, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 10:20 AM   #6
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep

The one detail I will add is the pricing on the Stealth active wiring harness (OEM BMW) is much higher than what you can buy it for on the open market. In addition, they cut the factory plug off the end before shipping which in my opinion makes this more prone to damage from water.

I purchased the harness / controller separately from my BMW parts connection and bought the "right" parts to use the factory weatherproof connectors. I should add to the DIY thread with this info and will try to get to it this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 10:51 AM   #7
pachieh
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 X5M

Anyone using the Stealth Hitch with aftermarket exhaust? Want to make sure it clears my Eisenmann Race.

Looks like it would since it basically bolts/integrates onto the bumper and tightly around it.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 11:18 AM   #8
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachieh View Post
Anyone using the Stealth Hitch with aftermarket exhaust? Want to make sure it clears my Eisenmann Race.

Looks like it would since it basically bolts/integrates onto the bumper and tightly around it.
Based on how it fits, I don't think it would be an issue as the hitch is basically contained in the bumper except for the very center which is still within the bumper but lower.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 12:39 PM   #9
Jeffwels
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarif1 View Post
The one detail I will add is the pricing on the Stealth active wiring harness (OEM BMW) is much higher than what you can buy it for on the open market. In addition, they cut the factory plug off the end before shipping which in my opinion makes this more prone to damage from water.

I purchased the harness / controller separately from my BMW parts connection and bought the "right" parts to use the factory weatherproof connectors. I should add to the DIY thread with this info and will try to get to it this weekend.
I debated their "active" harness option and decided against it because I checked out the OEM harness prices. Will be interested in seeing how you integrated the same! I just ordered today.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 11:47 AM   #10
Jeffwels
Enlisted Member
Rep

Does anyone have information on the OEM wiring harness and computer module mounting/routing they could share?

I have my stealth hitch combo package ready to install and bought the OEM tow wiring harness and controller.

Thanks!
Jeff
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 01:43 PM   #11
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Does anyone have information on the OEM wiring harness and computer module mounting/routing they could share?

I have my stealth hitch combo package ready to install and bought the OEM tow wiring harness and controller.

Thanks!
Jeff
Did you buy the harness from your BMW dealer or Stealth? I ask because this stealth cuts the factory 7-pin connector off the harness before shipping. If you purchased the harness from your BMW dealer, you can order Pollak 11893 Socket and 12-711U Bracket and it will all snap together in a weather tight setup.

This is important since you must feed harness from the outside in with OEM 7-pin connector on harness and install the connector shell inside the vehicle after routing the harness.

OEM wire routing / installation instructions

Last edited by ferrarif1; 03-29-2019 at 03:34 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2019, 03:23 PM   #12
Jeffwels
Enlisted Member
Rep

I ordered the harness and control module from getbmwparts.com (had coupon code)

Control module: https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...ch-71606889589
Wire Harness: https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...ng-82712349500

I will order the socket and bracket mentioned!

Thanks for the wire routing/directions as well
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 09:08 PM   #13
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 528i Executive Edition

Garage List
Quote:
I ordered the harness and control module from getbmwparts.com (had coupon code)

Control module: https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...ch-71606889589
Wire Harness: https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...ng-82712349500

I will order the socket and bracket mentioned!

Thanks for the wire routing/directions as well

Sorry to bring up an old post guys, but i've been thinking about the invisihitch for the last couple years and finally am coming around to picking one up. After some research, sounds like invisihitch is no longer on the market and Stealth Hitches is where we need to go.

That said, im looking at spec'ing out the package and see the extra active harness for $460!

Is this additional $460 essentially just the for the control module AND the wiring harness linked in the post above that I've quoted? At $300 from getbmwparts.com, i'd be more inclined to grab these two items instead of getting the active harness from Stealth Hitches. And then it looks like from Ferrarifi's post, I should also get "Pollak 11893 Socket and 12-711U Bracket " as well.

Other than these 4 items (controller, wire harness, socket and bracket) are there any other items that are included in the Active harness package from Stealth Hitches that Im missing that I should also buy?

Any feedback would be great as I'm hoping to put an order in shortly.
Thanks guys!

EDIT: Just realized that I do not need to buy the control unint and the rear transport trailer wiring harness from getbmwparts.com if I am aready getting the "stealth harness" from Stealth Hitch. That in mind I take it I don't need to buy the socket and bracket either? Or would these be recommended even if i get the stealth harness from stealth hitch?

Last edited by E30toF30; 08-23-2019 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 09:17 PM   #14
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 528i Executive Edition

Garage List
Oh and one last question is, are you guys installing trailer brake controller as well? I've don't have any experience with trailers and driving a trailer so this is all new to me. I'm looking to use this to tow the cars to and from the track.

Thanks!

Last edited by E30toF30; 08-21-2019 at 11:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 08:59 AM   #15
Jeffwels
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30toF30 View Post
Oh and one last question is, are you guys installing trailer brake controller as well? I've don't have any experience with trailers and driving a trailer so this is all new to me. I'm looking to use this to tow the cars to and from the track.

Thanks!
The trailer control module from bmw with activate trailer brakes. You don't need an external trailer brake controller, but you can buy one if you are worried and want external trailer brake control.

You need the pollack if buying the bmw harness and module. The mount option that comes with the stealth harness will not work with the bmw harness.

I bought everything listed in the thread including the pollack and Mount, bmw harness and computer module.

You will also need to have the car coded for the towing module and wiring once installed, something stealth hitch will do for you remotely if you buy their full function harness. So factor that into cost if you are not able to have this done for free by a friendly dealer.
Appreciate 0