BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-04-2016, 03:25 PM   #1
Hammmerhead
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Questions on 2016 X5M

This is my first M car and I just came from a 2013 X5 5.0 with all the options. Have some questions and observations that hopefully some of you can help with.

1. I'm 6'3", but the new X5M steering wheel seems really high compared to my old '13 even with it lowered all the way. I feel like I need to raise the seat or something.

2. The lane departure buzzing of the steering all the time is pretty high tech, but annoying and it got turned off.

3. My HK system in my old X5 seemed to have more bass or a fuller sound than the new H&K system. I'm almost wondering even if the under seat subs are hooked up and no I'm not a big bass rap fan.

4. Will this thing stop on its own with the forward collision safety braking? I have ran up on a few objects to see if it will and it sure as heck doesn't feel like it and its on the quickest reaction level.

5. The lane change safety feature. This is a little confusing as well. I have seen the drivers side light up once when merging into traffic from an on ramp. Do they only work if your turn signal is on or will the little mirror light come on if you get close to something?

Thanks for any help or insight friends

Last edited by Hammmerhead; 05-04-2016 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 03:48 PM   #2
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

1. I had to raise the seat until I could only get 2" of clearance between my head and the roof to get the rest of the seat/steering the way I needed it.

2. Yep

3. Trying increasing the bass in the equalizer.

4. Never tested it.

5. Should light anytime a car is in the "zone". I still don't trust it.

Congrats on a special ride.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 03:54 PM   #3
xueju1121
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW iX M60

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Congratulation on your new M! I hope you drive it like you stole it LOL.

Try to answer some of your questions:

1. Remember X5M is a SAV so I guess steering wheel is higher than normal.
2. Yeah I turned it off too.
3. I remember someone saying that you should turn off ASD to enjoy the stero.
4. Not sure if it will stop on its own. I am sure that the forward collision warning is triggered it will prime the brake for ya so you have full brake power.
5. Lane change warning is constantly on, but will only give you warning if you signal your turn.

Hope I can help you more. Enjoy your new ride!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 04:40 PM   #4
theseeker
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 M, 2015 SLS, 2015 S550

The collision warning works like a charm. A woman pulled out from a blind driveway as I was going around a corner and the HUD lit up and the brake hit pretty hard. Actually, it scared me at first but it worked like a charm.
Definitely disconnect the ASD, its worth it.

Enjoy it!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 05:39 PM   #5
Hammmerhead
Private First Class
Rep

thanks for all the responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theseeker View Post
The collision warning works like a charm. A woman pulled out from a blind driveway as I was going around a corner and the HUD lit up and the brake hit pretty hard. Actually, it scared me at first but it worked like a charm.
Definitely disconnect the ASD, its worth it.

Enjoy it!
Well thats good about the collision warning. Is the ASD always on and is it piped through the audio even when you have content playing?

Yeah, I don't get the ASD philosophy with many others. It would have made much more sense to concentrate on a active cruise control setup other than that. I just figured out this flagship model doesn't have it because it would interfere with the air intakes.

Is there a thread on turning off the ASD?

Also, I just figured out how the exhaust opens up and sounds better with the the M setting engaged. I know, Im pretty green still, haven't even burned a tank of gas through it yet and have had it for 3 weeks I think.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 06:07 PM   #6
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&highlight=Asd
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 06:10 PM   #7
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

5. If your talking about the triangle light, it will light anytime a car is in the "zone". I still don't trust it.

If your talking about lane departure, the turn signal has to be on.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 06:21 PM   #8
Hammmerhead
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
5. If your talking about the triangle light, it will light anytime a car is in the "zone". I still don't trust it.

If your talking about lane departure, the turn signal has to be on.

Thanks for the link. I just unplugged the ASD after finally getting the little lock lever swung down. I haven't driven it yet, but hope the H&K gains a little clarity that my '13 model had.

I don't guess I know the difference in the lane departure warning and the general warning when another car is in the zone and the triangle light comes on the mirror. How do the warnings differ?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 08:39 PM   #9
Hammmerhead
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammmerhead View Post
Thanks for the link. I just unplugged the ASD after finally getting the little lock lever swung down. I haven't driven it yet, but hope the H&K gains a little clarity that my '13 model had.

I don't guess I know the difference in the lane departure warning and the general warning when another car is in the zone and the triangle light comes on the mirror. How do the warnings differ?

Thanks
Edit

Sorry wasn't thinking. I believe I have the lane departure turned off as it was buzzing the steering wheel constantly from our narrow streets down here. When I put 20% tint on the fronts I likely won't see the caution indicators on the mirrors very well anyhow. Its that the only notification you get with proximity alarm?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 09:13 PM   #10
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Lane departure is what you turned off. Uses cameras to look at the road marks (if there) and buzzes the wheel when you are close to crossing the line.

Blind spot detection is the triangle that flashes when someone is close and in either lane. If you activate the turn signal at the same time the wheel will buzz and the triangle lights to let you know your a dumbass.

None of the above is better or equal to decent driving skills.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 03:07 PM   #11
Hammmerhead
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Lane departure is what you turned off. Uses cameras to look at the road marks (if there) and buzzes the wheel when you are close to crossing the line.

Blind spot detection is the triangle that flashes when someone is close and in either lane. If you activate the turn signal at the same time the wheel will buzz and the triangle lights to let you know your a dumbass.

None of the above is better or equal to decent driving skills.
I agree onfirex5. Its not that I'm relying on any of this, it just that I'm trying to figure out what it all does. These things damn near drive themselves apparently.

On another note. Do you know if there are any air filter replacements out for these yet? I'm not really ready for a mild tune, but would enjoy possibly hearing a little more of the turbos.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 09:54 AM   #12
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

I pd tested the filters. No power or sound to be gained there. Dinan is working on a new box that might add some sound.
Appreciate 0