BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-13-2019, 05:35 PM   #1
wuziyue
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Hello everyone, I just got HR lowering springs for my 2016 X5M with two springs in the front and two links in the back. It looks great with maybe 1.5' drop. However, I found that the ride quality is weird, it feels more bumpy? Or stiff? I can feel the road surface and potholes more clearly. Is that normal? Also, how long can the HR spring lasts without a fail in the stock shocks? I'm a beginner so please forgive me for any mistakes or silly questions. Hope someone can teach me something, thank you guys. (Also, is there any way to fix the bumper license plate holes from my dealer)
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-13-2019, 06:02 PM   #2
leonZ
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M

HR VTF or the old version?And your front lip Brand?It doesn't look like normally ppl have
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 06:09 PM   #3
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuziyue View Post
Hello everyone, I just got HR lowering springs for my 2016 X5M with two springs in the front and two links in the back. It looks great with maybe 1.5' drop. However, I found that the ride quality is weird, it feels more bumpy? Or stiff? I can feel the road surface and potholes more clearly. Is that normal? Also, how long can the HR spring lasts without a fail in the stock shocks? I'm a beginner so please forgive me for any mistakes or silly questions. Hope someone can teach me something, thank you guys. (Also, is there any way to fix the bumper license plate holes from my dealer)
So you bought springs without searching the forum I see. Lol

If you would have search a bit you would have found the HR springs are quite a bit more stiff than oem. Many don't get them because of this. The VTF version is their new adjustable set and is getting much better reviews.

Yes bumper plugs.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 06:37 PM   #4
wuziyue
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericliuhc View Post
Google bumper plug
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 06:40 PM   #5
wuziyue
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonZ View Post
HR VTF or the old version?And your front lip Brand?It doesn't look like normally ppl have
I'm not sure, it's the one from IND, SKU:28817-2. It's not the adjustable one.

The lip is Manhart style.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 06:43 PM   #6
wuziyue
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:

If you would have search a bit you would have found the HR springs are quite a bit more stiff than oem. Many don't get them because of this. The VTF version is their new adjustable set and is getting much better reviews.

Yes bumper plugs.
I see, thank you. also, for the whole coil over set, is KW better than H&R? In addition, how is the durability of H&R springs? Thank you.
Appreciate 1
twonb121.50
      01-13-2019, 08:38 PM   #7
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 X5M

I was about to ask if they are VTF. I'll be installing the VTF this week as I read they are a better ride compared to standard h&r.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 09:03 PM   #8
leonZ
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
I was about to ask if they are VTF. I'll be installing the VTF this week as I read they are a better ride compared to standard h&r.
How low are you going to drop ?Im think about it too
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 09:44 PM   #9
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonZ View Post
Quote:
How low are you going to drop ?Im think about it too
I will try 30" rears and 29.5" fronts first. I asked a member to measure his car as I liked the stance. From there I'll test out the ride. Can always adjust height again. Also already have 15mm spacers on the rears 😇
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 11:36 PM   #10
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes bumper plugs.
I see, thank you. also, for the whole coil over set, is KW better than H&R? In addition, how is the durability of H&R springs? Thank you.
Full blown KW V3 coilover will be way better than any lowering spring with stock shocks combo setup.

With your current conventional H&R lowering spring, you are pretty much stuck with it.
Regular spring setup is static drop. In your case is the front only since the rear is using adjustable link to trick the ride height sensor.

While with H&R VTF (Ride Height Adjustable lowering spring), you can adjust the drop to your liking within the manufacturer's specified range.

H&R spring is very durable, I have seen a 20 years old BMW with H&R spring.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 2
      01-14-2019, 12:15 AM   #11
leonZ
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

If Im lowering front 1.5" , What should I do for the rear? 1.25?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 12:22 AM   #12
wuziyue
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes bumper plugs.
Full blown KW V3 coilover will be way better than any lowering spring with stock shocks combo setup.

With your current conventional H&R lowering spring, you are pretty much stuck with it.
Regular spring setup is static drop. In your case is the front only since the rear is using adjustable link to trick the ride height sensor.

While with H&R VTF (Ride Height Adjustable lowering spring), you can adjust the drop to your liking within the manufacturer's specified range.

H&R spring is very durable, I have seen a 20 years old BMW with H&R spring.
Thank you so much. I'm just little worried about the shocks, I've heard change springs only will increase the shock's wear. Which will leads to leakage in the future or failed in the worst case.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 07:52 AM   #13
pk9394
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have the VHF for over 5000 miles now, on the day I install, I drop it all the way down front and rear, the front is stiffer that OEM and rear is super bounce, after few times of testing, I found the sweet spot is 1 inch only all around for me. it look very good to me and is also same as OEM ride comfort.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2019, 09:44 AM   #14
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk9394 View Post
Quote:
I have the VHF for over 5000 miles now, on the day I install, I drop it all the way down front and rear, the front is stiffer that OEM and rear is super bounce, after few times of testing, I found the sweet spot is 1 inch only all around for me. it look very good to me and is also same as OEM ride comfort.
Can you post some pictures and also measure fender to ground. 👍🏽
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 09:47 AM   #15
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
What size wheels are you running ? Also who makes your spoiler and side skirts ?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 09:51 AM   #16
wuziyue
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What size wheels are you running ? Also who makes your spoiler and side skirts ?
It's running on 20" wheels. The lips are from a Chinese website.
Appreciate 1