BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-14-2019, 12:52 AM   #1
wuziyue
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Carbon fiber hood too much?

anyone thought on the hood on white x5m? Does it fit or too much?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 07:00 AM   #2
kbright1892
Private
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M5  [0.00]
No way I'd put it on mine, but to each his own.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 11:12 AM   #3
pachieh
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 X5M

IMO, too much unless you have other carbon bits on the car like roof (which doesn't exist) or iND parts.

You could paint it too, but leave certain aspects of the CF exposed
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 10:03 AM   #4
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuziyue View Post
Paint it and then sure. Won't be a perfect fit but definitely don't leave unpainted unless you want to look like a ricer Honda.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 10:09 AM   #5
wuziyue
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:
Paint it and then sure. Won't be a perfect fit but definitely don't leave unpainted unless you want to look like a ricer Honda.
Does it really looks ricer: so sad. Would it be better if I wrap the car in silver grey or black.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 01:02 PM   #6
Nuckle
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Defender X

No way in the world I would put that thing on mine. Just my opinion. Ugly!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 01:06 PM   #7
wuziyue
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckle View Post
No way in the world I would put that thing on mine. Just my opinion. Ugly!
I just saw this Hamann style hood from YouTube and I think it's somewhat good.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 02:01 PM   #8
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 X5M

you'll need many CF bits to match well with that hood and lower the car with some nice wheels. if you're going to leave it all stock with just the hood.. that might look out of place but you're already there.. you just need aftermarket wheels

perhaps paint the hood but expose the dome.

Quote:
Appreciate 1
Maverik2594133.00
      01-15-2019, 04:08 PM   #9
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
you'll need many CF bits to match well with that hood and lower the car with some nice wheels. if you're going to leave it all stock with just the hood.. that might look out of place but you're already there.. you just need aftermarket wheels

Quote:
I could see it look cool if you painted white to match but did some kind of fade to just clear covering the bump. But yes by itself very ricer. All over the place on slammed civics with tires so small and so much camber they don't fit the rims and such in SoCal.
Attached Images

'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 06:21 PM   #10
ajgraham
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Nada

It won't look good on white, it's just too extreme without a whole lot of other mods and with all the other mods you're spending a small fortune and completely changing the whole vehicle.

Is this the CF hood from alibaba? Mind if I ask how much you paid, last time I looked it was around $2k delivered? I do like the hood though, I have a Sapphire Black X5M so have had my eye on the hood for a while.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 06:25 PM   #11
wuziyue
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgraham View Post
It won't look good on white, it's just too extreme without a whole lot of other mods and with all the other mods you're spending a small fortune and completely changing the whole vehicle.

[IMG]https://www.tuning-empire.com/media/...onnet_1__1.jpg[/IMG]

Is this the CF hood from alibaba? Mind if I ask how much you paid, last time I looked it was around $2k delivered? I do like the hood though, I have a Sapphire Black X5M so have had my eye on the hood for a while.
I have carbon front lip, side skirts and rear diffuser, kidney grills and that's it. So confused whether I should put it on. The price is $1500include tax and shipping from China.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 06:29 PM   #12
wuziyue
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Thank you for ur advice I have carbon front lip, side skirts, diffuser and kidney grills installed and that's it. So confused whether I should put it on. :
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 06:50 PM   #13
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 X5M

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Thank you for ur advice I have carbon front lip, side skirts, diffuser and kidney grills installed and that's it. So confused whether I should put it on. :
It's really up to you. If you like it go for it. Not everyone is in love with CF. But I'm biased 😝

I have a CF roof on my fake CSL 😜
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 07:07 PM   #14
ajgraham
Private
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
I have carbon front lip, side skirts and rear diffuser, kidney grills and that's it. So confused whether I should put it on. The price is $1500include tax and shipping from China.
In that case I would fit it and see how you feel about it, I didn't realise you had other bits already. It's your vehicle so completely up to you. Good luck with it either way

That's a good price, how did you get it for $500 less, just negotiating via email or sale item?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 08:03 PM   #15
wuziyue
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgraham View Post
Quote:
In that case I would fit it and see how you feel about it, I didn't realise you had other bits already. It's your vehicle so completely up to you. Good luck with it either way

That's a good price, how did you get it for $500 less, just negotiating via email or sale item?
Thank you, I'm just afraid of people saying it's ricer or something like ruined the car. So I'm thinking how to avoid that.

Actually I bought it from TaoBao, it's a Chinese website and many manufacturers are located in Guangzhou, China. I added about five sellers on Wechat in mandarin. The price varies but I think the products are pretty much the same. There are 100% carbon fiber, carbon fiber mixed with fiberglass and 100% fiberglass so just put an eye on that. And also aliexpress are almost the same as TaoBao, the same product from the same seller in mainland China or Taiwan , their prices are very different, TaoBao uses Chinese currency and aliexpress presents USdollar and it's relatively higher than its original price in Chinese Yuan.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 03:26 AM   #16
ajgraham
Private
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Thank you, I'm just afraid of people saying it's ricer or something like ruined the car. So I'm thinking how to avoid that.

Actually I bought it from TaoBao, it's a Chinese website and many manufacturers are located in Guangzhou, China. I added about five sellers on Wechat in mandarin. The price varies but I think the products are pretty much the same. There are 100% carbon fiber, carbon fiber mixed with fiberglass and 100% fiberglass so just put an eye on that. And also aliexpress are almost the same as TaoBao, the same product from the same seller in mainland China or Taiwan , their prices are very different, TaoBao uses Chinese currency and aliexpress presents USdollar and it's relatively higher than its original price in Chinese Yuan.
Try not to worry about what other people say, I know that's easier said than done but you can't make everybody happy and you shouldn't try to. If you've already bought the hood it shouldn't cost much to fit it (if anything) and you can see how it looks. Take some pics, post them here if you want other opinions.

Thanks for the great advice on ordering from China, I appreciate it. I just need to improve my Mandarin
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 12:36 PM   #17
yewlock
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

There are 100% carbon fiber, carbon fiber mixed with fiberglass and 100% fiberglass

Which one that you got? Any update about the quality after 1 years?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 01:47 AM   #18
Edx5m
Private
Rep
Drives: x5m

[IMG]undefined[/IMG]
For your reference. This is my white x5m with Manhart cf hood.

if you want to see more pic you can add IG: @taipei_x5m
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 06:39 AM   #19
Klienfeld303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 x5 M

Quote:
Vinyl wrap it black for a week and see how you feel. 😂 I wouldn't do it but that's just my opinion.
      01-31-2021, 11:33 AM   #20
X5MNY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw X5M

If it was me, the only cf exterior part i would be ok with would be front lip, side skirts and rear diffuser. if im really going carbon which i'm not, i would think maybe mirror caps as well. As for the cf hood, i don't think i would even consider putting it on a Honda if i had one. just my thoughts. GL
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 06:53 PM   #21
Klienfeld303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 x5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5MNY View Post
If it was me, the only cf exterior part i would be ok with would be front lip, side skirts and rear diffuser. if im really going carbon which i'm not, i would think maybe mirror caps as well. As for the cf hood, i don't think i would even consider putting it on a Honda if i had one. just my thoughts. GL
That's my 91' RX7. Didn't look terrible. Would I do it on a 100k beemer? Prolly no.
Attached Images

01-31-2021, 08:33 PM   #22
JVX6M
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klienfeld303 View Post
Quote:
That's my 91' RX7. Didn't look terrible. Would I do it on a 100k beemer? Prolly no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klienfeld303 View Post
Quote:
Hahahahahaha
Appreciate 0