BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-17-2019, 06:46 PM   #1
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 X5M

i'm having popping thump noise coming from the front of the car. it occurs every time i back out of the garage while the rear tires are in the street and the front tires are coming off the driveway onto the street. not only is it a popping sound, but it feels like two plates of metal sliding off of each other. I also hear the same noises going over speed bumps.

Have you guys had any same issues ? Car has ~ 10k miles. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 08:58 PM   #2
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
That sounds like it needs to be looked at. Never heard that in 3 years.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2019, 09:09 PM   #3
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
That sounds like it needs to be looked at. Never heard that in 3 years.
It's at the dealer now. I'll have more info tomorrow but they say there is a sib and the noise is coming from the hub 🤣
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 02:37 AM   #4
Alextacy
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

I have the same issue, and my BMW service department is useless and not very supportive. They essentially wont even acknowledge any issue they cant easily replicate themselves consistently. This one seems specific to certain road conditions, ie. corner weighting of car, angle or approach and suspension load etc...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 02:41 AM   #5
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alextacy View Post
I have the same issue, and my BMW service department is useless and not very supportive. They essentially wont even acknowledge any issue they cant easily replicate themselves consistently. This one seems specific to certain road conditions, ie. corner weighting of car, angle or approach and suspension load etc...
I feel you. I just got the car about a month and half ago and noticed the thump every now and then. But since I have full warranty I wanted to resolve this before changing the suspension. If the shims dont resolve the issue, I'll be getting a second opinion at a local Indy shop.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 06:08 PM   #6
kbright1892
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Garage List
2021 BMW M5  [0.00]
I have the same noise. Definitely let me know what happens. Mine will likely need the same treatment.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 06:25 PM   #7
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep

Update.. shims arrived today late in the afternoon. They will try to wrap it up by Saturday 😝
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 07:00 PM   #8
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
Update.. shims arrived today late in the afternoon. They will try to wrap it up by Saturday 😝
They're putting shim in your pads? Don't know how that would cause a thud. My bet is the ball joint in the lower control arm.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 07:25 PM   #9
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:
They're putting shine in your pads? Don't know how that would cause a thud. My bet is the ball joint in the lower control arm.
Here is there exact words from the SA 🤔

Tech just reported back to me that there is a common problem with the M cars that there is a known noise that comes from the front brakes so they have a remedy where they place a shim between the hub, rotors and wheel to get rid of the noise. Tech says it may not get rid of it completely, but there should be a difference after that is done. The shims are on order and will be here tomorrow.
Appreciate 2
WCH347.00
Maverik2594140.00
      01-20-2019, 03:33 PM   #10
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
They're putting shine in your pads? Don't know how that would cause a thud. My bet is the ball joint in the lower control arm.

Tech just reported back to me that there is a common problem with the M cars that there is a known noise that comes from the front brakes so they have a remedy where they place a shim between the hub, rotors and wheel to get rid of the noise. Tech says it may not get rid of it completely, but there should be a difference after that is done. The shims are on order and will be here tomorrow.
Ah yes. I've seen the shims that go between the rotor and wheel when looking at M brake parts on various websites. . I wonder wtf they were. I'll see if I can find that pic.

Edit: found it on NEWTIS. Called "washers" to increase the coefficient of friction. Whatever that means.
Attached Images

'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2019, 04:07 PM   #11
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ah yes. I've seen the shims that go between the rotor and wheel when looking at M brake parts on various websites. . I wonder wtf they were. I'll see if I can find that pic.

Edit: found it on NEWTIS. Called "washers" to increase the coefficient of friction. Whatever that means.
I believe this is what they did. I should get my car back tomorrow morning. But I doubt this will resolve the issue 😩
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 04:15 PM   #12
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I believe this is what they did. I should get my car back tomorrow morning. But I doubt this will resolve the issue 😩
I wonder if they're saying the wheel and the rotor are slipping at the point of contact? That would be new to me.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0