BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-18-2019, 10:06 PM   #265
Rupomk
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

audio

Newbie here,
I currently have the HiFi installed with my vehicle; I was wondering to upgrade but not spend too much $$$ Would installing the AMP from Bimmertech or Bavsound be worth installing? If so will the current speakers HiFi/ Subs be enough to handle the AMP upgrade or will the alone AMP upgrade enough to tell the difference in the sound.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 01:46 PM   #266
bmwx1sq
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupomk View Post
Newbie here,
I currently have the HiFi installed with my vehicle; I was wondering to upgrade but not spend too much $$$ Would installing the AMP from Bimmertech or Bavsound be worth installing? If so will the current speakers HiFi/ Subs be enough to handle the AMP upgrade or will the alone AMP upgrade enough to tell the difference in the sound.
Upgrading the oem amp/dsp to a bimmertech one it a great start. The speakers will also need to be replaced. There are a lot of option for direct fit kits that or not Bavsounds. I would figure out your budget and start there. To replace all speakers with good replacement and adding the bimmertech amp. You are looking around +or -2500. All depends on brand and discounts you can get.
Appreciate 1
Rupomk10.50
      01-22-2019, 05:00 AM   #267
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05

I wish bimmertech had a better amp for those of us with the HK system...
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 12:58 PM   #268
bmwx1sq
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
I wish bimmertech had a better amp for those of us with the HK system...
There are other options that require a like more work and a MOST converter.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 01:14 PM   #269
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx1sq View Post

the only thing I am concerned about is the DSP options that the Stock HK and Bimmertech have. I don't know if I will be able to get the same out of an aftermarket amp...

As far as converters, I would need to get a LC7i or similar from AudioControl...
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 10:02 PM   #270
bmwx1sq
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

the only thing I am concerned about is the DSP options that the Stock HK and Bimmertech have. I don't know if I will be able to get the same out of an aftermarket amp...

As far as converters, I would need to get a LC7i or similar from AudioControl...
If you are trying to run new amp/ amps. You will need a Mobridge DA1,2, or 3. Or a audison bitdmi.(I use this one) or a helix sdmi25. This will replace your amp completely and keep all your chimes. The converter will give you a signal source via fiber optic/toslink or an analog/rcas. Then you can use a dsp. The DA2,3 are the only ones that can be used with just amps. The da3 has a built in DSP. After that it's like any other car stereo. Run wires install speakers.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 10:51 PM   #271
TMR
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Getting there.
Attached Images

SOLD E39 M5 Modded, What a great car! www.tmrmzine.com/m5/
Appreciate 1
bmwx1sq145.00
      01-23-2019, 01:13 AM   #272
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR View Post
Getting there.
Details please! This looks awesome!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 02:38 AM   #273
bmwx1sq
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR View Post
Getting there.
I will soon be with you. I ordered some ground zero amps and sold the others. I also have a fi q Neo 15". Plan is to start at the beginning of feb.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 07:20 AM   #274
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep

I am trying to update my HK system the best I can without changing out the HK amp for the miss and highs...

Seems to be quite the challenge choosing the right speakers.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 03:33 PM   #275
bmwx1sq
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am trying to update my HK system the best I can without changing out the HK amp for the miss and highs...

Seems to be quite the challenge choosing the right speakers.
You would have that big of a difference without changing the amp.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 05:07 AM   #276
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep

Yeah... I feel like my biggest constraint is that I don’t want to just add an LC7i and add an additional amplifier. From what I am seeing, it looks like that really adds a level of complexity that could actually take away from some of the basic BMW functions (chimes, alarms, etc...)

I don’t mind adding an amp for an additional sub as I don’t think that will take away from anything.

I really would like to figure out what I can change, speaker wise, that will give me sweeter kids, and a more tame top end than the HK system currently has; especially when played loud.

I have learned that the Focal K2’s will fit in factory locations, as well as the IFBMW-S, BavSound, and Eton speakers. Ideally I would like more power for those, but have to work with what I’ve got for now until/if BimmerTech comes out with a plug and play amp to better the HK setup.

The problem is, there is no place for me to listen to any of these brands here...

Also, with all of the threads I have read, 95% of them are people who have upgraded the basic audio systems and not the HK, so that makes it even harder to analyze the pros and cons.

Please feel free to respond here or send me a PM and maybe we can discuss this further. I really
Do appreciate the help.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 07:18 AM   #277
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i MSport

Quote:
Yeah... I feel like my biggest constraint is that I don’t want to just add an LC7i and add an additional amplifier. From what I am seeing, it looks like that really adds a level of complexity that could actually take away from some of the basic BMW functions (chimes, alarms, etc...)

I don’t mind adding an amp for an additional sub as I don’t think that will take away from anything.

I really would like to figure out what I can change, speaker wise, that will give me sweeter kids, and a more tame top end than the HK system currently has; especially when played loud.

I have learned that the Focal K2’s will fit in factory locations, as well as the IFBMW-S, BavSound, and Eton speakers. Ideally I would like more power for those, but have to work with what I’ve got for now until/if BimmerTech comes out with a plug and play amp to better the HK setup.

The problem is, there is no place for me to listen to any of these brands here...

Also, with all of the threads I have read, 95% of them are people who have upgraded the basic audio systems and not the HK, so that makes it even harder to analyze the pros and cons.

Please feel free to respond here or send me a PM and maybe we can discuss this further. I really
Do appreciate the help.
I've been googling around on this topic too and I have found threads where other guys with the HK on other platforms have upgraded to the Bavsound speakers with stock amp and they seem to have positive things to say. I keep flip flopping on doing it though. I just don't know that they value is there for me. If I'm going to spend $1500 to swap out all the speakers, it better be a pretty substantial upgrade.
2016 F15 50i ///M-Sport
BM3/H&R/Borla
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 01:07 PM   #278
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew2069 View Post
I've been googling around on this topic too and I have found threads where other guys with the HK on other platforms have upgraded to the Bavsound speakers with stock amp and they seem to have positive things to say. I keep flip flopping on doing it though. I just don't know that they value is there for me. If I'm going to spend $1500 to swap out all the speakers, it better be a pretty substantial upgrade.
Yeah... there is just something about the BavSound that makes me want to
Look at other brands... maybe it’s because they refuse to show their specs or maybe it’s because people have said they don’t sound as good at low volumes...

But I also haven’t been able to find any reviews on the Focal or Eton with HK...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 02:32 PM   #279
bmwx1sq
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah... there is just something about the BavSound that makes me want to
Look at other brands... maybe it’s because they refuse to show their specs or maybe it’s because people have said they don’t sound as good at low volumes...

But I also haven’t been able to find any reviews on the Focal or Eton with HK...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 02:37 PM   #280
bmwx1sq
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Do appreciate the help.
Yes just replacing the speakers will only improve so much.

Think about it like this. You change your air filter to the x5m filter they are bigger flow more air. Not that big of difference in performance. But if you have bigger turbos and a tune it takes advantage of the ability of getting more air in.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 05:19 AM   #281
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Sent you a PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 09:50 AM   #282
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yea that's intense. Sick as hell but definitely overkill for what I would ever want to accomplish.
2016 F15 50i ///M-Sport
BM3/H&R/Borla
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 09:53 AM   #283
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Yea that's intense. Sick as hell but definitely overkill for what I would ever want to accomplish.
Totally agree! lol But damn, it is awesome!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 04:38 PM   #284
bmwx1sq
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The video is just to show you what the integration that is needed if you want to replace the oem amp. He uses a mobridge da2 that replaces the amp and gives the dsp it's inputs.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 12:19 AM   #285
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep

I have decided to start my upgrade path with Eton drop in speakers for the front end center. I got them for a great price, so I will just see if I notice a difference between these and the stock HKs...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 07:11 AM   #286
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I have decided to start my upgrade path with Eton drop in speakers for the front end center. I got them for a great price, so I will just see if I notice a difference between these and the stock HKs...
Interested to hear your thoughts. I wanted to start with upgrading my under seat 8" 'subs' but I was looking at the Etons on Ebay and they are 4ohm compared to Bavsound's 8ohm. I'm so clueless on audio, I don't really know what/how that would effect things.
2016 F15 50i ///M-Sport
BM3/H&R/Borla
Appreciate 0