BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-09-2023, 03:53 PM   #1
RockDriver
Rep
Drives: BMW F15 M Sport 30D

F15 19 or 20 inch rims with non-stagered tires?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I'm looking at available F15 options in the market, but I could use some clarity on the wheel/tire selection. I need to be able to fit all season run flat tires on if I buy one, so I want to make sure I don't pick one with wrong rims.

All is simple with the standard 255/55 R18 for all wheels choice - there are good tire to choose from. Things get complicated with larger diameter rims.

For instance, by default the 20 inch wheels are staggered with 275/40 R20 front and 315/35 R20 back?

So then the 19 inch set is 255/50 R19 front and 285/45 R19 back, right?

I'm struggling to find all season run flat tires for the 19 and 20 inch sets in staggered format. Would it work if I just put the same size on all 4 wheels, as in 275/40 R20 or 255/50 R19? Any implications on doing this? I know that Xdrive can be sensitive to tire size differences and all that stuff, so I don't want to upset it if I can help it.

Also, in staggered setup, are all the rims the same or do the front and rear pairs differ by width or something else?

EDIT: This tire situation is giving me a headache, because I need to make a decision ASAP. I've considered an alternative of using all season conventional non-runflat tires, but then I'd need the spare wheel. The spare wheel kit is another rabbit hole, because apparently most of them being sold are not quite the right circumference and that could upset the Xdrive.

Appreciate any thoughts on this.

Last edited by RockDriver; 12-09-2023 at 05:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 05:31 PM   #2
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Pretty sure the 19’s are 255/50R19 all the way around. Plenty of run flat all season choices in that size. Maybe the M Sport package has the rear 285/45R19 size? Yep, just looked it up, it does. But the “standard” 19” wheels are 255/50R19 all around.

I don’t think you’ll find all season runflats in the 20” sizes you mentioned. I went with non-run flats and I carry a plug kit and compressor. Will add an actual spare at some point. Maybe.

Anyway, yes, the staggered setups do have different width front and rear wheels, but only by an inch.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 05:39 PM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

In the USA market, you can simply go to any of the nationally advertising tire sites and input the tire sizes you need (square or staggered)…then select what type of Tyre you’re looking for (in this case, run-flat)…and get a list of tires. From that list, select the tires that meet the speed and other specs required for a BMW…you may even be able to input your model/model year/etc and then select tire sizes and type of Tyre you’re looking for.

Have you tried that for your market? Here, you can also select alternate tire & wheel sizes, too.

Example: click on any of the links below and input your vehicle and tire size regardless of you being in a different country/market. You can still pull up compatible tires in either runflat or non runflat…then shop for that tire in your country/market.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 05:57 PM   #4
RockDriver
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfunk88 View Post
Pretty sure the 19’s are 255/50R19 all the way around. Plenty of run flat all season choices in that size. Maybe the M Sport package has the rear 285/45R19 size? Yep, just looked it up, it does. But the “standard” 19” wheels are 255/50R19 all around.

I don’t think you’ll find all season runflats in the 20” sizes you mentioned. I went with non-run flats and I carry a plug kit and compressor. Will add an actual spare at some point. Maybe.

Anyway, yes, the staggered setups do have different width front and rear wheels, but only by an inch.
Yep, the M Sport. I've been considering this one: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...02212242763866 and it seems that it has the staggered setup - 255/50 R19 front and 285/45 R19 back, from what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong). No 285/45 R19 all season run flat tyres are available in UK. I've been punching the numbers in all tyre websites I could find. Bupkis.

I've been considering the all season conventional non-run flats, but then ideally I'd need the spare wheel. I've been tumbling down that particular rabbit hole for a while, and it seems that the spare wheels being sold (in UK at least) may not be quite the right circumference, which could apparently upset the Xdrive.

I need to take a Christmas trip across mainland Europe, so I'd like to be reasonably prepared. Or should I just say screw it, ride it out without the spare and rely on AA roadside assistance if I get stuck in some no man's land? I don't know. I once had a flat in very cold and snowy night and it was the very opposite of fun.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 06:37 PM   #5
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

As long as the spare isn’t WAY far off it shouldn’t be too bad, as you’d hopefully only use it a short distance.

I’d be hesitant to get 255/285 combo…at least here in the US only really a winter tire available in that size combo, at least on Tirerack.com
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 06:49 PM   #6
RockDriver
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfunk88 View Post
As long as the spare isn’t WAY far off it shouldn’t be too bad, as you’d hopefully only use it a short distance.

I’d be hesitant to get 255/285 combo…at least here in the US only really a winter tire available in that size combo, at least on Tirerack.com
Well, it shouldn't be way far off I'd think. Still, best to do research and be prepared.

Actually, I'm looking to buy all seasons, not winter. The reason being that in many mainland Europe countries winter or all season tires are mandatory during winter months. But as I'd be spending absolute majority of the time on highways and winters are already mild, all season tires make a lot more sense.

I had Michelin CrossClimate 2 SUV conventional all season tires on my Mercedes ML and they are by many considered the best all season tires in the world right now and they do come in 255/285 sizes.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 06:54 PM   #7
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Yeah, those are great tires…if they’re available in the 19” sizes that would take away my hesitation
Appreciate 1