BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

07-14-2016, 05:48 AM   #23
taxjoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i & 2015 Z4 35i

Here is a screen shot with the application open on my iPhone.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 11:23 AM   #24
Winn
Private
Rep
Drives: '20 M550i '17 i3

Garage List
2023 M550i  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2020 BMW M550i  [0.00]
This is very cool! Thanks for the informing us of this, I got it all setup.
2011 335is E93 *Retired*
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 01:54 PM   #25
wtF85
United_States
Rep
Drives: Really fast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
So this is a beta invite only right now? Or is it live?
I can't seem to find this app on my phone or on connected drive.
Here is the BMW Labs IFTTT Widget install into iDrive instructions:

https://labs.bmw.com/data/en_Instructions.pdf
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2016, 01:59 PM   #26
wtF85
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxjoc View Post
No, that is not the one. Attached is a screen shot of the application in the iPhone app store of what I downloaded on my iPhone. However, it looks like the application in your post regarding the location triggers might be the better application or at least it might be able to do more than the one I downloaded. Last night on my way home I opened the split screen (which I usually do not do) and the "recipes" were listed. It popped up a couple of notifications on news stories in which I might be interested that I selected from National Pubic Radio (NPR) [I should have taken a picture of this so everyone can see it - I'll try to do that tonight on my way home].

To be honest, I don't think I am doing this right because I don't know what to do with the notifications. What I was hoping to do was to be able to play those stories by triggering them from my iDrive controller rather than retrieving them using my iPhone. I would be interested to hear how others are using this. Perhaps there are other useful features that many of us could use and enjoy.
The BMW IFTTT Widget running on-board in iDrive does not use your phone and does not use an app on your phone. You can use the IFTTT app on your phone (or web or pc) to configure IFTTT triggers/actions but is not required for your BMW to actively send Trigger event notifications to your IFTTT service account.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 02:06 PM   #27
wtF85
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
So this is a beta invite only right now? Or is it live?
I can't seem to find this app on my phone or on connected drive.
It is live, and not beta.

See forum post with link to PDF instructions to install in iDrive.

That same BMW Labs link area has an FAQ and list of currently supported countries. They seem to regularly keep expanding the supported country list.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 02:10 PM   #28
wtF85
United_States
Rep

TECHNOLOGY STACK:

Here is the technology stack I used to integrate my BMW into my "Life Automation" / "Smart Home".

BMW Labs IFTTT Widget (free)
BMW ConnectedDrive (free)
IFTTT (If-This-Then-That) Service (free)

BMW IFTTT Widget running on BMW, sends "triggers" to IFTTT online service. You create a "recipe" to tell IFTTT what to do when a BMW trigger happens like entering/exiting a defined geo-fence. E.g. your BMW enters a defined geographic radius you define on a map as part of the trigger/action.

Nest Thermostat ($250) connected to IFTTT. Create IFTTT rule that says, when BMW enters defined geo-fence, BMW notifies IFTTT, rule action is triggered, and then IFTTT tells Nest to set thermostat to 70 degrees.

Garageio ($200) garage door controller connected to IFTTT. Create IFTTT rule, when BMW enters defined geo-fence, tell Garageio to Open Garage Door.

Samsung Smartthings controller ($95) - use to network connect "smart" devices in home

Kwikset Deadbolt ($120), Create IFTTT rule, when BMW enters defined geo-fence, tell Samsung Smartthings Controller to unlock Kwikset Deadbolt. (Now using Kwikset Kevo instead, deadbolt only controlled by close proximity bluetooth smartphone and not internet connected.)

Flood Light LED ($30), Create IFTTT rule, when BMW enters defined geo-fence, tell Samsung Smartthings Controller to turn on mudroom Philips Light Bulb and Kitchen GE Dimmer.

Sonos Connect music ($250), Create IFTTT rule, when BMW enters defined geo-fence, tell Samsung Smartthings Controller to turn on Sonos music. Sonos Connect box connected to regular home stereo receiver/amplifier with local speakers and driving ceiling speakers throughout house.

Installed various "smart" dimmers, switches, and outlets. For automated control, and Alexa voice control. E.g. wife from downstairs can now tell "Alexa" in the evening to pre-heat her bed electric blanket at night with "Alexa, turn on my electric blanket", or "Alexa, set Family Room dimmer to 40%".

Amazon Echo "Alexa" ($130), used voice control all "smart" devices both directly and through Samsung Smartthings controller, and more, like ordering Pizza, or changing the Pandora/Spotify station or volume.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 02:33 PM   #29
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtF85 View Post
Here is the BMW Labs IFTTT Widget install into iDrive instructions:

https://labs.bmw.com/data/en_Instructions.pdf
Perfect, this is what I was looking for. Thank you!
      07-14-2016, 02:35 PM   #30
TallTrees
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d M Sport

I tip my hat to you. You are living the dream right there...well done.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 03:39 PM   #31
wtF85
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxjoc View Post
This looks like an interesting feature. I have an active connected drive account and my X5 has all of the requirements. I just loaded the IFTTT application on my iPhone and will give it a try when I head home tonight. The garage opener feature is neat but the black box required to operate it for two garage doors is about $209 on Amazon. Not sure it is worth that cost since all I have to do is press the garage door button on my rear view mirror. Nevertheless, it seems to have some interesting features so I will give it a try.
Some additional thoughts about the cost justification of a $200 automation garage door controller. Convenience and security.
- You can be notified if your garage door opens during a break-in while you are away, when you weren't expecting the garage to open by anyone. (rolling code hacks, physical break-in, coat hanger to emergency latch release, 4 digit keypad code use observed from distance/drone, etc.)
- Automatic closing of garage door at night to keep things from being stolen from your garage overnight, if you accidentally leave it open.
- Remotely open garage door to let someone in, child, neighbor, etc.
- Easily check garage open status when you are not sure if you remembered to close the garage door when you left, or you did initiate it to close while driving away but it bounced back open because of something that was left or fell in the path of the door closing, but you didn't realize it because you were already driving away. If you like to leave the door into your house from the garage unlocked, like most people, this is an even bigger security risk to garage doors accidentally left open.
- Lastly, if you are impatient, the garage door will be fully opened by the time you pull into your driveway, instead of waiting in the driveway for it to finish lifting. :-)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 11:40 AM   #32
taxjoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i & 2015 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtF85 View Post
Some additional thoughts about the cost justification of a $200 automation garage door controller. Convenience and security.
- You can be notified if your garage door opens during a break-in while you are away, when you weren't expecting the garage to open by anyone. (rolling code hacks, physical break-in, coat hanger to emergency latch release, 4 digit keypad code use observed from distance/drone, etc.)
- Automatic closing of garage door at night to keep things from being stolen from your garage overnight, if you accidentally leave it open.
- Remotely open garage door to let someone in, child, neighbor, etc.
- Easily check garage open status when you are not sure if you remembered to close the garage door when you left, or you did initiate it to close while driving away but it bounced back open because of something that was left or fell in the path of the door closing, but you didn't realize it because you were already driving away. If you like to leave the door into your house from the garage unlocked, like most people, this is an even bigger security risk to garage doors accidentally left open.
- Lastly, if you are impatient, the garage door will be fully opened by the time you pull into your driveway, instead of waiting in the driveway for it to finish lifting. :-)
OK, now these are some useful features. I can't tell you how many times my wife makes me drive back to the house just to make sure the garage door is completely closed. This feature alone is worth the cost to me. Thanks for taking the time to outline all of this.
Appreciate 0