BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

03-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #1
nizer
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Anyone Else Disappointed in Electric Steering on New X5?

Just traded our 2010 X5 Diesel for new 2014 X5 Diesel. Overall, fairly impressed with the improvements in the new X5. Interior look is a signficant gain over prior gen and the new diesel is quieter and already more efficient than the outgoing. The ride is fairly good although I can't make a fair comparison because relative to the outgoing vehicle, the new vehicle has a larger wheel/tire pkg and doesn't have the Sport Suspension option.

Overall build quality is good although it doesn't quite have the solid all-of-a-piece feel of the prior gen. That said, it's nowhere near as bad as the difference between the E60 (own) and F10 (tested extensively) 5-Series.

The one area that stands out as a real disappointment on the new X5 is the electric steering. It feels disconnected and overboosted compared to the prior gen's hydraulic unit. I'm also finding that I have to make little micro corrections over road irregularities; it sometimes feels as if it's trying to steer for me instead of just following my input. It really becomes apparent when you jump back behind the wheel of a prior gen X5, which I recently did.

Just wondering what others who've owned both think.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 02:58 PM   #2
w4termelon
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 M sport 40d

I think you might need some time to get used to it. Also, try to switch between comfort and sport, you should feel the difference. Electric steering can be softer or stiffer, depending on the configuration. My previous 991 also had electric steering but it was very firm and I didn't feel it was "disconnected" or anything, so I don't think this is a "technology" issue of electric vs hydraulic.
For example, I have the same feeling when I switch from a BMW to an Audi : Audi has a very soft steering, you can litterally steer with one finger.

Do you have active steering ? This could change the feeling as well.

Last edited by w4termelon; 03-10-2014 at 03:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 03:20 PM   #3
lovec1990
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X

w4termelon i belive active steering only changes steering ratio at curtain speeds.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 03:29 PM   #4
nizer
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4termelon View Post
... try to switch between comfort and sport, you should feel the difference. Electric steering can be softer or stiffer, depending on the configuration.

Do you have active steering ? This could change the feeling as well.
Changing to sport mode improves it but problem with that solution is that it changes a bunch of other parameters that you may or may not want changed.

No active steering.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 06:00 PM   #5
Zipforia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nizer View Post
Changing to sport mode improves it but problem with that solution is that it changes a bunch of other parameters that you may or may not want changed.

No active steering.
I believe you can choose to only activate steering when you put in Sport Mode and not activate the drive train.

Z.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 08:13 PM   #6
Haris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 BMW M4

Garage List
I'm curious.. how does compare with E70 with Active Steering? anyone?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 08:53 PM   #7
Michiganian
Private
Rep
Drives: Current:Z4

I went from a Z4 to an X5, and previously owned 328 and 528. I think the short answer for me is practice with the new steering. I find the steering very precise even though you don't have the same connection to the road with sports car style steering.
      03-10-2014, 10:08 PM   #8
ADGrant
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haris View Post
I'm curious.. how does compare with E70 with Active Steering? anyone?
I have an E70 with active steering and have test driven the F15 with standard steering several times. I prefer the E70 active steering. It is fairly light at parking speeds (as well as having fewer turns to lock) but feels like normal BMW steering at higher speeds. The lightness at parking speed is actually due to the servotronic variable power assist that the active steering is bundled with. The regular E70 apparently has much heavier steering at parking speeds.

I have to say that the surround view and active steering make my E70 very easy to park. I still like the feel of the steering though, I did not like the F15 steering. So much so that I have reconsidered plans to trade in my 3.5yr old E70.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 02:10 AM   #9
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
I have an E70 with active steering and have test driven the F15 with standard steering several times. I prefer the E70 active steering. It is fairly light at parking speeds (as well as having fewer turns to lock) but feels like normal BMW steering at higher speeds. The lightness at parking speed is actually due to the servotronic variable power assist that the active steering is bundled with. The regular E70 apparently has much heavier steering at parking speeds.

I have to say that the surround view and active steering make my E70 very easy to park. I still like the feel of the steering though, I did not like the F15 steering. So much so that I have reconsidered plans to trade in my 3.5yr old E70.
Active steering imo is well done on F15, I had it on E71 and it is even better on F15. Steering feel (though artificial) is much better with M package (test drove model without M package and was considering not to buy the car).
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 05:47 AM   #10
BMW603
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post

Agree with him =)
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 06:14 AM   #11
soupratt
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 520d

I have yet to drive a car with smoother steering than the MSport F15 we recently picked up. It is probably a little too light at normal city driving but at highway speed it weighs up nicely and there is minimal vibration. I drove a non-MSport spec model when I test drove the car originally and while it didn't seem as direct and there was more body roll I din't think the steering was much different (but then that was only a 15 minute test drive as I didn't have much time).
Put it this way, the steering is MUCH better than the F10 520d I had before.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 12:29 PM   #12
peter10512
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Very disappointed in handling

After having owned a 2011 X5 35d with dynamic handling and sports package for over a 100k miles and loving every minute of it, I didn't hesitate buying a leftover 2015 X5 with all the handling goodies from a West Coast dealer sight unseen.

To my great amazement, the handling with the electric steering was so numb and confusing, I ended up constantly correcting through turns. On turn-in it always felt like the car didn't want to turn, which always ended up in over-correction. The rear end felt like it was swapping around the back like a full bathtub.

Multiple trips to my very competent local BMW dealer who made some camber/toe adjustments brought some relief, but never to a point of me enjoying the car. People complained the car was making them seasick and reaching out to BMW and their "geniuses" brought nothing but further frustration from their inactivity.

I really wanted to like it, even tried different tires, but in the end I got rid of it by trading it for a used, low mileage 2013 X5M (last year of hydraulic steering). Now that's proper handling! I absolutely love that car, the incredible feedback and handling prowess along with the stupendous power is something that puts a grin on my face every time. Of course, it also uses twice the gas the diesel did, but it's an amazing vehicle.

The whole experience did leave a very sour taste and wonderment about BMW in my mouth, that they would release a vehicle so poorly handling, after what the 2011 was and of course the X5M.
Reading some of the reviews of the 2014+ new X5's confirmed that others feel the same way.
So yes, others are disappointed in the electric steering of the newer X5's too and I already worry about what I will drive when this one has too many miles.

Lesson to be learned, ALWAYS drive what you will buy first in the configuration you intend to buy! I would have never bought this new X5 had I driven it.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 01:40 PM   #13
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter10512 View Post
After having owned a 2011 X5 35d with dynamic handling and sports package for over a 100k miles and loving every minute of it, I didn't hesitate buying a leftover 2015 X5 with all the handling goodies from a West Coast dealer sight unseen.

To my great amazement, the handling with the electric steering was so numb and confusing, I ended up constantly correcting through turns. On turn-in it always felt like the car didn't want to turn, which always ended up in over-correction. The rear end felt like it was swapping around the back like a full bathtub.

Multiple trips to my very competent local BMW dealer who made some camber/toe adjustments brought some relief, but never to a point of me enjoying the car. People complained the car was making them seasick and reaching out to BMW and their "geniuses" brought nothing but further frustration from their inactivity.

I really wanted to like it, even tried different tires, but in the end I got rid of it by trading it for a used, low mileage 2013 X5M (last year of hydraulic steering). Now that's proper handling! I absolutely love that car, the incredible feedback and handling prowess along with the stupendous power is something that puts a grin on my face every time. Of course, it also uses twice the gas the diesel did, but it's an amazing vehicle.

The whole experience did leave a very sour taste and wonderment about BMW in my mouth, that they would release a vehicle so poorly handling, after what the 2011 was and of course the X5M.
Reading some of the reviews of the 2014+ new X5's confirmed that others feel the same way.
So yes, others are disappointed in the electric steering of the newer X5's too and I already worry about what I will drive when this one has too many miles.

Lesson to be learned, ALWAYS drive what you will buy first in the configuration you intend to buy! I would have never bought this new X5 had I driven it.
I came from en E70 with DHP also. Just drive your F15 for 3 months or so, and you'll get used to it. I was in the same boat as you, as are many others.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 03:57 PM   #14
Steeem
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2014

Do all F15s come with electric steeting? For some reason ours feels a bit hard it's a 2014 35i
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 04:12 PM   #15
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeem View Post
Do all F15s come with electric steeting? For some reason ours feels a bit hard it's a 2014 35i
Get it checked by dealer (I'm assuming you are still under warranty) as that's not normal. All x5 come with electric steering and it shouldn't feel hard at all. If anything many complain it's too soft
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 07:33 AM   #16
HUH?
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 x5d

You are right about the electric steering

My 2013 X5d was my first SUV, first diesel. I bought it for utility purposes, fuel economy and towing ability. I LOVE it still 110k miles later.

I recently bought a left over 2018 X5d with sport wheels because diesel is being dropped by BMW for the USA.

Two problems: steering and idrive.

There was a review back in 2012-3 that said the x5 might be the best real bmw that bmw makes. I thought it hard to believe until I drove some of their cars. The reviewers were right.

The 2018 has awful steering and the idrive is overly complicated with more layers to the menus.

I drive the 2013 ALL the time.

Othe BMWs in my garage e30 M3, e36 M3, e46 M3, e39 M5....
Notice something here?
BMW better figure it’s new products out so that sport drivers as well as grocery getters want them.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 07:46 AM   #17
Road Carnage
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 96 328is, 15 X5 50i

I totally agree. The steering, brakes and suspension on my E70 were BMW all the way. Pure pleasure to drive.

My F15, mehhh, not so much. Stock it was like driving a ‘76 Caddy. Too plush for my tastes. Adding KW coilovers solved the suspension issue, new brakes and rotors all around helped with the braking but in stock form still not as good as the E70 so MPBK is on the list. Steering, I don’t love it but have learned to live with it. No easy fix that I’m aware of.
      01-12-2019, 08:37 AM   #18
Duke I
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Worst aspect of the car -- a disappointment. Steering is responsive to inputs, but virtually no feel. Though after 6 months I don't think about it much.
2017 X4 M40i (gone); 2010 X5 (last of the NAs); 2007 550i (still missed, except in the snow); 1991 525i manual (great 17-year run)
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 08:52 AM   #19
brevets10000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 2015

You just need seat time
Appreciate 1
Violator4587.50
      01-12-2019, 10:13 AM   #20
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Carnage View Post
I totally agree. The steering, brakes and suspension on my E70 were BMW all the way. Pure pleasure to drive.

My F15, mehhh, not so much. Stock it was like driving a '76 Caddy. Too plush for my tastes. Adding KW coilovers solved the suspension issue, new brakes and rotors all around helped with the braking but in stock form still not as good as the E70 so MPBK is on the list. Steering, I don't love it but have learned to live with it. No easy fix that I'm aware of.
Uhm, F15 uses the same brake components as the E70.
The MPBK on F15 is the Brake system on E7x X5M/X6M.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 2
      01-12-2019, 11:22 AM   #21
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Carnage View Post

My F15, mehhh, not so much. Stock it was like driving a ‘76 Caddy. Too plush for my tastes. Adding KW coilovers solved the suspension issue, new brakes and rotors all around helped with the braking but in stock form still not as good as the E70 so MPBK is on the list. Steering, I don’t love it but have learned to live with it. No easy fix that I’m aware of.
Like driving a ‘76 Cadillac? Exaggerate much? For an SUV of its size, the steering response and feedback is not that bad.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 11:38 AM   #22
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

Nope, love the F15.
Appreciate 2