BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-18-2022, 10:02 PM   #1
Chambers90
Rep
Drives: BMW f15 50i

New member, Australia - f15 50i

Afternoon all, been a long time reader and only just getting around to introducing myself and my car. I have owned this for a little over a year now.

Long time car enthusiast living in the nations capital of Australia (Canberra).

Current spec:
2014 f15 50i in carbon black
Currently 90k km's
Quantum stage 1 tune
AFE CAI
20% tint all round
2 x focal 8" underseat woofers
469 wheels painted in orbit grey
Stock 50i brakes painted blue with m logo
-On the way 2 x race craft electric muffler to replace the massive suitcase muffler at the rear.

By far this has been my favourite car to date, it was the right decision buying a v8 whilst I still can. I'd like to hold onto this for a while and tastefully mod along the way. The v8TT is such a beast with effortless power. It's a darn shame the car doesn't give back to the driver in the acoustics department, part of the reason I opted for some mufflers.

After I installed the AFE CAI yesterday, I began to tinker around the engine bay today. I happen to notice in the engine bay, there was a piece of plastic that sits right above the turbos. The plastic on top with holes covering the surface can be easily removed via popping out the clips on the side. (please anyone chime in if this is for heat resistance/protection and should be left alone).

I have hopefully attached a picture. I can explain the removal in more detail if anyone needs it.

Anyway I decided to take this off via 6 x torx screws (extremely easy and self explanatory) to hopefully increase some of the sound hidden in that engine and I was surprisingly pleased that it has done exactly that and enhanced the sound by maybe 10-15%.

I havnt seen anyone else do this and could be catastrophic or the most safe and basic mod to date, so if there is any gurus please jump in. Ohh and it's free!

Anywho enough waffling, Thanks for reading!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
FCX52382.00
jmack1231300.50
scotty339147.00
      03-18-2022, 10:47 PM   #2
lht5059
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F16 50i, F15 35d

Congrats on the new ride! Looks fantastic! Please, report back after driving with the AFE for a while. I want to get cold air intake for mine but hesitating on AFE after seeing CEL reports on some...

The part you removed is the engine cover. I don't think there's much damage to be done driving without it, assuming you aren't doing anything crazy. But I can say from experience that the cover does get quite dirty after a while, especially with winter driving (i.e. I cleaned mine 2 weeks ago and there was a bunch of salt residue); this of course means it's a lot easier to clean the cover itself than to clean everything else underneath, should you not have it on. I haven't seen it discussed on this platform, but there are threats over the 3 series/m3 forums that touched on this with mixed responses:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1766689
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1589247
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1147626

Regardless, enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 11:10 PM   #3
Chambers90
Rep

I can confirm that this intake does have the revised elbows, no CEL yet although fingers crossed. A little more hissing and ever so slight turbo flutter after lift off around 3k rpm.

Apologies i should have specified, yes the engine cover has been removed, as well as the triangle looking bit of black plastic (could be sound deadening or heat shielding) that my keys are on in both photos. If you take it off using the 6 torx screws, it’s the correct piece I’m referring too.

Hope that helps 👍

Last edited by Chambers90; 03-18-2022 at 11:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 03:31 PM   #4
jmack123
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chambers90 View Post
I can confirm that this intake does have the revised elbows, no CEL yet although fingers crossed. A little more hissing and ever so slight turbo flutter after lift off around 3k rpm.

Apologies i should have specified, yes the engine cover has been removed, as well as the triangle looking bit of black plastic (could be sound deadening or heat shielding) that my keys are on in both photos. If you take it off using the 6 torx screws, it’s the correct piece I’m referring too.

Hope that helps 👍
Are your calipers/rotors the same as the M50d in Australia? Curious to see what your brakes look like.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 04:00 PM   #5
Chambers90
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack123 View Post
Quote:

Apologies i should have specified, yes the engine cover has been removed, as well as the triangle looking bit of black plastic (could be sound deadening or heat shielding) that my keys are on in both photos. If you take it off using the 6 torx screws, it's the correct piece I'm referring too.

Hope that helps 👍
Are your calipers/rotors the same as the M50d in Australia? Curious to see what your brakes look like.
They are, I believe, the single piston calipers that came on most f15's. Certainly not ideal when pushing over 400hp
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 04:11 PM   #6
jmack123
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack123 View Post
Quote:

Apologies i should have specified, yes the engine cover has been removed, as well as the triangle looking bit of black plastic (could be sound deadening or heat shielding) that my keys are on in both photos. If you take it off using the 6 torx screws, it's the correct piece I'm referring too.

Hope that helps 👍
They are, I believe, the single piston calipers that came on most f15's. Certainly not ideal when pushing over 400hp
Ahh got ya. Ok yea those are the same on the 50i in the U.S. I would imagine. Which should be two piston.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2022, 05:24 PM   #7
lht5059
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F16 50i, F15 35d

Quote:

Hope that helps ��
Ah, I see it now. Yea I still would not remove that tbh -- looks like it did catch quite a bit of water and dirt in your last 2 pics. I mean this wouldn't matter unless you clean your engine bay adequately every time, but I cannot comment on whether or not this will affect longevity, rust, etc.

Maybe lowering the car for your next mod ?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 06:35 PM   #8
Chambers90
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lht5059 View Post
Quote:

Hope that helps ��
Ah, I see it now. Yea I still would not remove that tbh -- looks like it did catch quite a bit of water and dirt in your last 2 pics. I mean this wouldn't matter unless you clean your engine bay adequately every time, but I cannot comment on whether or not this will affect longevity, rust, etc.

Maybe lowering the car for your next mod ?
Lowering is definitely on the cards although I think I'm about to pull the trigger on Focal IS100L speakers for the front!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 04:50 AM   #9
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Welcome.

Curious, how much was the tune, and whats she putting down?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 02:44 AM   #10
Chambers90
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
Welcome.

Curious, how much was the tune, and whats she putting down?
In AUS I paid 1350 I believe.

Havnt had in dynoed but they claim 100hp and 130nm which would have to be very close according to my butt dyno.

Did some testing with the draggy device and without launch control, went front 5.5 - 4.5, 0-100km/h that is.

Full second off and feels every bit of it.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 08:52 PM   #11
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Considering the cost of BM3/MHD, thats not bad.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 03:42 AM   #12
Chambers90
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lht5059 View Post
Congrats on the new ride! Looks fantastic! Please, report back after driving with the AFE for a while. I want to get cold air intake for mine but hesitating on AFE after seeing CEL reports on some...

The part you removed is the engine cover. I don't think there's much damage to be done driving without it, assuming you aren't doing anything crazy. But I can say from experience that the cover does get quite dirty after a while, especially with winter driving (i.e. I cleaned mine 2 weeks ago and there was a bunch of salt residue); this of course means it's a lot easier to clean the cover itself than to clean everything else underneath, should you not have it on. I haven't seen it discussed on this platform, but there are threats over the 3 series/m3 forums that touched on this with mixed responses:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1766689
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1589247
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1147626

Regardless, enjoy!
Ended up getting a CEL a few days after install of the AFE CAI

Low and behold I have driven it for a few weeks now and two days ago, the CEL turned off without any further modifications or software.

Fingers crossed it stays off permanently!👍
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 07:24 AM   #13
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23' X7 40i M Sport

Garage List
Dinan CAI or bust! No CELs and sounds mean af.
Attached Images

04-15-2022, 08:14 PM   #14
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic_erik View Post
Does the one for the F85 also work on the F15 50i?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 09:39 PM   #15
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Quote:
Yup - that's my engine bay above on my 50i. Plug and play.
      04-15-2022, 11:57 PM   #16
Chambers90
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I must admit it certainly looks the business compared to the AFE!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2022, 05:11 AM   #17
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks! I pick one one from Dinan if they are plug and play. I usually go to my dealer (excellent tech for all things) and as long as it is plug and play, will install it.

So it just replaces the old one without any modifications?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2022, 06:30 AM   #18
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks! I pick one one from Dinan if they are plug and play. I usually go to my dealer (excellent tech for all things) and as long as it is plug and play, will install it.

So it just replaces the old one without any modifications?
Yup
      04-17-2022, 08:07 PM   #19
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Does anyone know what it is exactly triggering the CELL on the AFE? Just looking at all these different intakes, and it makes me wonder is it the angle of the MAF or what?

Had the idea of doing some custom intakes made up, but seen how AFE are struggling makes me wonder what's so special about them and what are they doing wrong.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2022, 08:35 PM   #20
Chambers90
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
Does anyone know what it is exactly triggering the CELL on the AFE? Just looking at all these different intakes, and it makes me wonder is it the angle of the MAF or what?

Had the idea of doing some custom intakes made up, but seen how AFE are struggling makes me wonder what's so special about them and what are they doing wrong.
Purely spitballing and I am in no way qualified to give mechanical advice, but obviously the sensor is triggered by too much air flowing over the sensor.

Is there someway to somehow put some tape or anything else over part of the sensor?

If anyone knows anything about the MAFS sensor and how it operates, they may be able to offer some input?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 04:32 PM   #21
Nathan4400
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Quote:
Quote:
Does it come with the dinan air filters or do you have to buy them separately? Also, did you notice any improvement in performance?
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2022, 05:38 PM   #22
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan4400 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Does it come with the dinan air filters or do you have to buy them separately? Also, did you notice any improvement in performance?
Comes with the filters.

Yes but marginal. The sound is worth the price of admission.