BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-17-2019, 06:41 AM   #1
Siy
Rep
Drives: XM5

X5M drive settings

Apologies all for the most basic of questions - I got my 2016 X5M about 4 months ago - set it up, and havent really altered the settings much. However was reading a post on here yday when the OP stated he has exhaust set to sport+

Can anyone give me a quick tutorial as to the 4 different buttons - there is the gear shift button, below the gear selector, which I think alters how aggressive the gear change is (and when it changes up?)

Then there are the 3 buttons together - steering wheel, which seems to affect the feel of the wheel - suspension, which assuming changes the damping to a degree - then there is the other one - which goes from efficient to sports, to sports plus.

This third one is the one that confuses me - if there is already a button affecting the gear cahnge etc, what does this one do?

Sorry for the basic question - but I would like to get this right

thanks
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2019, 08:47 AM   #2
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Go in your idrive to the M settings under vehicle. You can set them once and just press the M1 button instead of hitting each button every time.

These are my daily.
Engine - Sport +
Suspension Sport +
Steering Sport +
Transmission D2

04-17-2019, 09:09 AM   #3
Siy
Rep
Drives: XM5

Thanks - I have already set it up on the idrive etc - but my failure to understand is basically what the 'Engine' setting does - I understand that the Transmission setting alters severity of gear change and when it actually changes - but failing to understand what the 'Engine' function actually changes.

Assuming Sports+ is much less economical - but does it also alter the exhaust (open/close the vacuum for the louder noise)?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 09:11 AM   #4
foldpages
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020

Garage List
2020 AMG E63 S  [0.00]
2020 Jeep Wrangler  [0.00]
2017 X6 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siy View Post
Thanks - I have already set it up on the idrive etc - but my failure to understand is basically what the 'Engine' setting does - I understand that the Transmission setting alters severity of gear change and when it actually changes - but failing to understand what the 'Engine' function actually changes.

Assuming Sports+ is much less economical - but does it also alter the exhaust (open/close the vacuum for the louder noise)?
It's my understanding that the engine settings change the throttle response. In Sport and Sport+ it also opens the exhaust valves.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 06:33 PM   #5
ajgraham
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Nada

For the gearbox button you have 6 modes: D1, D2, D3, S1, S2, S3 (D = automatic, S = manual with S3 being best performance). You can also put it in manual mode by pressing the paddles on the wheel or pushing the gearstick forward (+ plus) or back (- minus).

The other button you weren't sure about is throttle/engine response. As was mentioned you can map them to the M1 and M2 buttons on the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 07:51 AM   #6
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Gearbox button will affect the speed of shifting through the gears. The higher the number the faster and more noticeable/harsher the shifting.
Appreciate 1
rem40i132.00
      04-18-2019, 08:30 AM   #7
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

program one of the shortcut keys for "self-cleaning" function like your oven. it is my favorite feature within the ultimate executive package. details found here: https://www.bmwusa.com/self-clean/f85.html
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 05:58 AM   #8
f30er
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
program one of the shortcut keys for "self-cleaning" function like your oven. it is my favorite feature within the ultimate executive package. details found here: https://www.bmwusa.com/self-clean/f85.html
I can't find what this does. The link just takes me to the BMWUSA website but can't find anything related to "self-cleaning"
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 11:14 AM   #9
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30er View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
I can't find what this does. The link just takes me to the BMWUSA website but can't find anything related to "self-cleaning"
Haha I think he meant it an analogy, like a shortcut.

My daily used to be:
Engine: S
Suspension: S
Steering: S

Then I realized that the difference is unnoticeable from S to S+ (other than steering which I find to be way too artificially heavy is S+). With a tune, it's basically all the same except for efficient mode. So new daily is:

Engine: S+
Suspension: S+
Steering: S

Also, tuned and dd, transmission in the "3" setting is unbearable. For spirited canyon runs it's the only way, but for daily, it's not great.

But to answer your question, you can program the M1 and M2 buttons to whatever custom set up you want. That said, pressing any of the buttons after engaging M1 or 2 settings automatically just turns off the "M" setting light, even though the parameters are basically the same.

Also, if you're in D mode and trans is at a "2", if you click the paddle or gear lever to the right it automatically takes you into Manual mode and the trans setting automatically shifts to the 3rd shift setting.