06-24-2022, 07:53 PM   #133
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR X5M View Post
I use "headunit reloaded" app for seamless android auto experience. I do not see why you need screen mirroring when native apps work on the unit directly.
Hey - THANK YOU for this. I had given up ever getting Android Auto to work on mine, but this for some reason "woke" it up. BUT.....I can't get it to work without the USB.

Can you give me a quick connecting guide? I have it on the HU and the Phone, but do I connect the HU to the phones wifi or vice versa? The app does not give any instructions and I am not exactly sure how to use it. I did download the companion WIFI app as well, but I can't seem to get them to "talk"

Any help for a struggling user???
      07-28-2022, 02:12 PM   #134
Bobby_Drake
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatKasper View Post
Just got my Avin Android system installed in my F85. It's the 10.25" Multimedia Navigation System for BMW X5 X6 Series F15 F16 F85 (SKU: BAVF15A-1025-AUXSPLTR) for those looking for the exact unit. I opted for the upgraded Snapdragon so I could have the 1920 x 720P, so worth it! It was a self-install, nothing overly complicated other than making sure you pull the optic cables & move them to the Avin harness. It's only been in for a few days but so far I'm loving the touchscreen option, the screen resolution & zero issues with sound quality. As far as not being able to hear Nav audio, the Avin harness comes with a small speaker dedicated solely to Nav that you can mount wherever you like & adjust that volume. Now my stereo doesn't constantly kill the music when it rambles a long street name or succession of turn instructions. I have the speaker mounted just on the underside of dash near my feet.

Only thing that's still unclear though is how the AUX cable is used. If I never plan on using the AUX port from my phone does it matter that I don't run a long AUX cable all the way from my unit to the center console under the arm rest? Seems like a lot of work and a waste of space by sticking a cable into the AUX port in the console if there's no use for it. Which leads me to:

Why does my radio/OEM USB/internal hard drive cut out when I move from the iDrive menu over to Android & start browsing Apps? Seems you can't play the OEM installed Sirius radio or the tunes you already have loaded on the OEM drive while also using android apps on the other side. I suspect it has something to do with the AUX because sometimes when I start my vehicle the input menu pops up & I see that it has switched itself to AUX even though I have it turned to manual in Android System settings.

And yeah, the F30 section probably has just about everything you need to know about these units but there's no organization to it at all...good luck finding that needle in a haystack when you're searching for something specific like mine. There's either nothing from a search or there's a 100 replies about things that aren't relevant to my issue. I feel if I tack on my specific question I'm just becoming another part of just throwing something onto a random pile of info. But they do have a Discord server that I'd suggest joining, even if you don't have a unit yet.
I ended up getting my Android 11 from 4X4 Shop - Canada. I was debating between them and Avin. They had the LG 720p screen so I went for it. I understand all of them come from China. Sure enough, my unit came straight from China via DHL shipping. I was also questioning the AUX input connection. There was no specific mention from the generic DIY instruction provided in my unit as to why you need to connect it. After watching a few youtube videos, it looks like this connection is needed for you to keep playing music, etc. from the android unit when you switch to OEM NBT or whatever your OEM idrive is. I did not hook mine up as I play sirius XM from NBT. My unit did come wth 4G antenna and GPS antenna so I had to hook up both and make it look professionally done. It was a PITA but worth it. It is definitely doable as a DIY and I would even argue that if you have full leather dash, you're better off DIY since it is very easy to scratch the leather and you certainly would take more precautions than a shop. Also, there were a few wires that were not needed that were attached to the main connector so I ended up just cutting them and using electrical tape.

One main issue with my unit was the fitment. The attachment at the base of the unit (where you would attach the unit to the dash and screw it back in) did not match up. So I had to drill some holes in order to attach the unit to the dash. I did not expect 100% fitment with these Chinese units but this was way off.

Oh the things we do to mod our cars and make it better

Overall I'd give 4x4 Shop a 6/10. Maybe I should have gone with AvinUSA
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 11:15 AM   #135
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Just a FYI - I bought the Motorola M1A wireless AA unit. I was not sure it would work since I am using Headunit reloaded to run mine, but it works perfectly. Might take a time or 2 to connect, but it keeps trying on it's own till it connects. So handy to just get in an go.

Also figured out this weekend when in AA mode, using the roller selector wheel will go to next or prev and pressing it will pause unpause what is playing. Something I didn't have in the stock unit - so this is a big bonus to me.
      11-07-2022, 10:00 PM   #136
FirstBMWLA
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR X5M View Post
Thanks for sharing that post! I've updated the MCU, OS software, added a fiio k3 USB DAC, and the mmi keyboard from red Eric, and learned a bunch of great tips. Very happy with the updated config
Could you elaborate on how the USB dac is used?
Followed link but didn't seem to be to a specific thread.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 01:45 AM   #137
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 X5M

That's awesome 👏. I have a similar android unit in my 4runner as well. If you don't already have Netflix, give this a try. It does not support downloads or updating, but works well.

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/netfli...-apk-download/
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 01:50 AM   #138
N1gh7mar3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Drake View Post
I ended up getting my Android 11 from 4X4 Shop - Canada. I was debating between them and Avin. They had the LG 720p screen so I went for it. I understand all of them come from China. Sure enough, my unit came straight from China via DHL shipping. I was also questioning the AUX input connection. There was no specific mention from the generic DIY instruction provided in my unit as to why you need to connect it. After watching a few youtube videos, it looks like this connection is needed for you to keep playing music, etc. from the android unit when you switch to OEM NBT or whatever your OEM idrive is. I did not hook mine up as I play sirius XM from NBT. My unit did come wth 4G antenna and GPS antenna so I had to hook up both and make it look professionally done. It was a PITA but worth it. It is definitely doable as a DIY and I would even argue that if you have full leather dash, you're better off DIY since it is very easy to scratch the leather and you certainly would take more precautions than a shop. Also, there were a few wires that were not needed that were attached to the main connector so I ended up just cutting them and using electrical tape.

One main issue with my unit was the fitment. The attachment at the base of the unit (where you would attach the unit to the dash and screw it back in) did not match up. So I had to drill some holes in order to attach the unit to the dash. I did not expect 100% fitment with these Chinese units but this was way off.

Oh the things we do to mod our cars and make it better

Overall I'd give 4x4 Shop a 6/10. Maybe I should have gone with AvinUSA
I didn’t have fitment issues and I purchased the same unit. If you are referring to the screw holes that you screw the base of the unit into the dash, the little thing the screws screw into can be moved up by sticking a screw driver in them and moving them up a bit.
      06-18-2023, 06:34 AM   #139
Mandinca
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E88 and 2016 F85

With the Ali Express unit in the original post does it retain the reversing camera and has anyone used it in NBT.
I just bought a 2016 and wanted to upgrade the screen to touchscreen Android auto but am reluctant to pay Canada 4x4 for their screen with some of the upgrades they have. This Ali screen looks like a good and less expensive option.

Is there a link for the Avin unit that is discussed above ?
I email changetech.com for information but I thought that was for the Ali unit.

Thanks in advance
      06-18-2023, 06:36 AM   #140
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandinca View Post
With the Ali Express unit in the original post does it retain the reversing camera and has anyone used it in NBT.
I just bought a 2016 and wanted to upgrade the screen to touchscreen Android auto but am reluctant to pay Canada 4x4 for their screen with some of the upgrades they have. This Ali screen looks like a good and less expensive option.

Is there a link for the Avin unit that is discussed above ?
I email changetech.com for information but I thought that was for the Ali unit.

Thanks in advance
I bought the Ali unit and it was absolutely fine, I really enjoyed using it.

Sold the car so it's now lying around, lol, but I had absolutely no problem with it and I don't think I'd pay the premium for 4x4. Just make sure you get a reputable Ali brand. Or maybe I'll sell mine, dunno.

Just looked at some of the previous posts, and 1) I should point out my fit was perfect - I would've accepted no less, and certainly wouldn't have wanted to drill anything; and 2) all functions worked correctly (360 camera, OEM screen and Android screen switching, etc) - it was probably one of the best integrated Android units I've worked with in my many years of getting various cars to use Android.
      06-28-2023, 10:47 AM   #141
Mandinca
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
I bought the Ali unit and it was absolutely fine, I really enjoyed using it.

Sold the car so it's now lying around, lol, but I had absolutely no problem with it and I don't think I'd pay the premium for 4x4. Just make sure you get a reputable Ali brand. Or maybe I'll sell mine, dunno.

Just looked at some of the previous posts, and 1) I should point out my fit was perfect - I would've accepted no less, and certainly wouldn't have wanted to drill anything; and 2) all functions worked correctly (360 camera, OEM screen and Android screen switching, etc) - it was probably one of the best integrated Android units I've worked with in my many years of getting various cars to use Android.
Thanks for that....I'm assuming yours was just the MMI module, not the touch screen, correct ?
If so, how was it to navigate around using idrive ?

My module came yesterday so I was thinking maybe I'd return it and get the 4x4 but by the time you spec the 4x4 it's close to $900. :-O
      06-28-2023, 05:11 PM   #142
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for that....I'm assuming yours was just the MMI module, not the touch screen, correct ?
If so, how was it to navigate around using idrive ?

My module came yesterday so I was thinking maybe I'd return it and get the 4x4 but by the time you spec the 4x4 it's close to $900. :-O
Mine replaces the screen but otherwise touches nothing in the OEM system. You navigate using iDrive as usual, using the round controller. There’s a menu option in the Android screen, “OEM” or something - that takes you the OEM screen and nobody is the wiser until you touch it and it flips to the Android interface - can’t even tell you have an aftermarket screen.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2023, 07:37 AM   #143
Mandinca
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Mine replaces the screen but otherwise touches nothing in the OEM system. You navigate using iDrive as usual, using the round controller. There’s a menu option in the Android screen, “OEM” or something - that takes you the OEM screen and nobody is the wiser until you touch it and it flips to the Android interface - can’t even tell you have an aftermarket screen.
Thanks, I'm a bit confused. Are you saying that the unit you have also replaces the screen but that replacement screen isn't a touch screen ?

The unit I bought is just a box with a piece of harness.

Is it essentially the same thing....I just haven't seen any MMI set up that replaces the screen other than the Canada 4x4 touch screen with the MMI built in.

Thanks
      07-02-2023, 07:53 AM   #144
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I'm a bit confused. Are you saying that the unit you have also replaces the screen but that replacement screen isn't a touch screen ?

The unit I bought is just a box with a piece of harness.

Is it essentially the same thing....I just haven't seen any MMI set up that replaces the screen other than the Canada 4x4 touch screen with the MMI built in.

Thanks
Hold up. First, MMI is Audi terminology. you threw me there for a sec

The unit is touch screen but only for Android stuff. The OEM screen is controlled by the iDrive controller as it was originally. If you touch the screen while it’s on the OEM functionality, it flips over to Android.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2023, 09:59 AM   #145
Mandinca
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hold up. First, MMI is Audi terminology. you threw me there for a sec

The unit is touch screen but only for Android stuff. The OEM screen is controlled by the iDrive controller as it was originally. If you touch the screen while it’s on the OEM functionality, it flips over to Android.
Yeah, I know the MMI is also for Audi but the vendor on ebay posted the NBT BMW box as an MMI box.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40432150161...sAAOSwvslkftRr

So this box apparently just allows the android apps to appear on the OEM screen which is still controlled by the iDrive controller. Is your version essentially the same ? (without touchscreen that is)

If so, how was it for controlling the Spotify, text etc ?
Could you voice to text at all ?

Thanks !
      07-02-2023, 10:17 AM   #146
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I know the MMI is also for Audi but the vendor on ebay posted the NBT BMW box as an MMI box.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40432150161...sAAOSwvslkftRr

So this box apparently just allows the android apps to appear on the OEM screen which is still controlled by the iDrive controller. Is your version essentially the same ? (without touchscreen that is)

If so, how was it for controlling the Spotify, text etc ?
Could you voice to text at all ?

Thanks !
No, hold up. This box seems to be a CarPlay box, which is totally different. All this does is lets your iPhone project onto the car's screen. If that's what you're looking for then that's fine, it will work (I think). The device I have is an actual Android unit that will _also_ show the OEM screen. I find it to be far more useful because I can run Waze, Youtube and the like on it without even using the OEM interface by using the touch screen.

With this eBay device, you will continue using your phone for the CarPlay functionality, and the rest will be controlled from your iDrive controller. It's more limited (hence, cheaper).

Voice control should work, though to be honest, I never tried it. There's a mic onboard.
      07-02-2023, 11:05 AM   #147
Mandinca
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No, hold up. This box seems to be a CarPlay box, which is totally different. All this does is lets your iPhone project onto the car's screen. If that's what you're looking for then that's fine, it will work (I think). The device I have is an actual Android unit that will _also_ show the OEM screen. I find it to be far more useful because I can run Waze, Youtube and the like on it without even using the OEM interface by using the touch screen.

With this eBay device, you will continue using your phone for the CarPlay functionality, and the rest will be controlled from your iDrive controller. It's more limited (hence, cheaper).

Voice control should work, though to be honest, I never tried it. There's a mic onboard.

The box I have is described as an Android Auto MMI in the ad so I believe it does both Apple and Android.....at least it had better !

According to the info I got it will replicate the Android phone screen onto the OEM screen but since my OEM screen isn't already a touch screen I will only be able to navigate the Android apps on the OEM screen by using the iDrive wheel.

I was originally asking if that limited functionality (not being a touch screen) would be enough for users to be annoyed with the cheaper unit and wish they had the much more expensive Canada 4x4 touchscreen option instead.

If I understand you corectly, you said you have a "unit" which makes me think you swapped the whole head unit out for one with a screen on it.

Maybe we are at crossed purposes ;-)
      07-02-2023, 07:12 PM   #148
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
The box I have is described as an Android Auto MMI in the ad so I believe it does both Apple and Android.....at least it had better !

According to the info I got it will replicate the Android phone screen onto the OEM screen but since my OEM screen isn't already a touch screen I will only be able to navigate the Android apps on the OEM screen by using the iDrive wheel.

I was originally asking if that limited functionality (not being a touch screen) would be enough for users to be annoyed with the cheaper unit and wish they had the much more expensive Canada 4x4 touchscreen option instead.

If I understand you corectly, you said you have a "unit" which makes me think you swapped the whole head unit out for one with a screen on it.

Ahh ok I gotcha. So yeah let me answer more specifically.

1. You are right - it will do both CarPlay and Android Auto, which means mirroring the device that you have. I've never used Android Auto, but I can say that while basic CarPlay functionality would work from the iDrive controller, that's just for selecting a few things - beyond that, you'll use your phone and it will just project. To be fair, it will be no different from, let's say, a rental car where you might have a similar functionality in a "modern" unit, so it's neither good nor bad - just a typical CarPlay/Android Auto experience.

2. Found my picture. Two pictures - first with the OEM unit, second with the replacement Android unit (actually, looks like it's a Mekede, not Ownice - another somewhat major OEM'er). You'll notice it looks IDENTICAL to the OEM unit except the chrome trim, so it's literally impossible to tell. In my view, this is a much better choice than the CarPlay box, it's a much, much cleaner setup.

Reason I am somewhat anti-#1 above is that to install it, you still have to take the dash apart and everything, so you're not saving any labour costs, and for what - $300 or so, you're ending up with a more limited-functionality unit, which, at least to me, didn't seem worth it.

That said, if you do decide to go for the full Android unit, make sure you buy the right specs. You want what they call the "blue anti glare screen" (those are keywords; that's for the better, 1920x1080 screen). You also want to make sure it is a model that does NOT have a 32GB option (the better SnapDragons only come in 64 and 128GB storage versions). You don't NEED the maximum amount of RAM, so as long as it's a 4/64 or a 8/128 model, you can take the lower one (but make sure that the 4/64 is not a top end of the 2/32 range, but rather, the bottom model of the 4/64-8/128 range). Hopefully that makes sense. But yeah buy from like Mekede or something. Or I literally might sell mine in the next month or so, since I don't know if I'm getting another X5M, so if you're interested, let me know and we will see.
Attached Images

Last edited by Pseudo Nim; 07-02-2023 at 07:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2023, 07:27 PM   #149
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Oh oh oh oh and before I forget. One reason to go #1 vs #2 above would be audio connectivity - I was wrong, that's one place where the #2 setup is more complicated. Let me explain.

I can't tell from the pictures how the CarPlay unit hooks up - I feel like there is no audio hookup at all, and as a result, that whole piece of it should be out of the picture, I feel like audio will go via WiFi to CarPlay / Android Auto. Fine.

In the case of a full-on Android unit, you will be looking to connect the audio from Android to the car's AUX in. Unfortunately, there is no way to tap into the optical network, and therefore, sound necessarily has to be converted to analog and route via the AUX in that is, most likely, in the armrest storage. In and of itself it's a little annoying, but what's worse is that audio quality usually suffers. If you go this route, do not skimp, and get yourself a USB DAC to fix the sound. I used a Fiio E10K and, having tried both with and without, the difference is simply astounding. Unfortunately it means more cables to run - but fortunately, then, there's no perceptible audio quality difference with the OEM audio setup, and I cannot recommend it enough.

In other words, there are two ways to connect the Android device:

1. Android -> 3.5mm headphone cable -> car's AUX in port.
2. Android -> USB to USB DAC -> 3.5mm headphone cable -> car's AUX in port.

#2 will give you FAR superiour sound, but you'll have to take the whole armrest apart like in my pic.
      07-04-2023, 09:21 PM   #150
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Thnx for the DAC info.

Do you know if any of the Android HU retain the OEM touch functionality? Mine is a 2017, and has native touchscreen. Loosing it would kinda sux.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2023, 10:03 PM   #151
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
Thnx for the DAC info.

Do you know if any of the Android HU retain the OEM touch functionality? Mine is a 2017, and has native touchscreen. Loosing it would kinda sux.
I'll be honest, that's something I haven't tried (mine was pre-touch), but based on what I know on how it works, I'm going to guess the answer is no. You may want to check in the Discord for an answer from someone with experience, though - I'm 100% sure someone there knows.
      07-05-2023, 03:26 PM   #152
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:

I assume you have the BimmerTech MMI Prime unit (or a knock off of it), same as mine. It has it's own interface and does not replicate the phone screen by default, but you can use screen mirroring if your phone supports it. Might need a cable to do so depending on the phone.

I haven't found much for limited functionality, everything integrates pretty well with the i-Drive controller. I used to have an issue with answering calls through the unit, but that seems to have been resolved through updates. Android Auto does have it limitations though. You cant open maps on your phone while Android Auto is running, you have to use the vehicle. That makes it frustrating when you just want to quickly look at the map and search for restaurants or gas stations.

I haven't been overly impressed with mine, but I did buy it used. The audio skips quite often, almost like my phone is just slightly out of range even though it's sitting right below it. Sometimes it's so screwed up I have to restart the unit before it will play correctly. It's also not as responsive as I'd like. Often times there is a substantial lag in the controls. I'm about ready to yank it out and just get one of the touchscreen units. Hopefully you have a better experience.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 12:05 PM   #153
Mandinca
Lieutenant
Rep

I bought the MMI from AliExpress and it arrived in ten days. Did the install and everything seems to work okay. Occasionally it loses connection and I get the log in screen with the pale blue icons. I have found that this is mostly because the bluetooth from my phone (Android) gets disconnected. One of the main reasons for this seems to be when the reversing camera comes on. Which brings me to a question.....

Whlst I still have all cameras including a reversing camera (OEM) I no longer have the reversing "lines" that show the track of the wheels when reversing.
Does anyone know if this is an MME thing or if I am just missing a setting. I looked in all the iDrive categories and couldn't find anything related to the reversing camera. The Parking section only had one option for an alarm sound when parking.

Any ideas anyone ?

Thanks !
      11-08-2023, 02:28 PM   #154
Mandinca
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I bought the MMI from AliExpress and it arrived in ten days. Did the install and everything seems to work okay. Occasionally it loses connection and I get the log in screen with the pale blue icons. I have found that this is mostly because the bluetooth from my phone (Android) gets disconnected. One of the main reasons for this seems to be when the reversing camera comes on. Which brings me to a question.....

Whlst I still have all cameras including a reversing camera (OEM) I no longer have the reversing "lines" that show the track of the wheels when reversing.
Does anyone know if this is an MME thing or if I am just missing a setting. I looked in all the iDrive categories and couldn't find anything related to the reversing camera. The Parking section only had one option for an alarm sound when parking.

Any ideas anyone ?

Thanks !

I just wanted to bump this as well as ask another question.

My MME Android Auto uses the AUX input for the sound.
If I try to use my phone from Android Auto I can dial out but while the person I call can hear me (presumably throught the phone mic rather than the car mic), but I can't hear them unless I use the phone in the usual way. I cannot get the mic and speaker in the car to work.

Also, if I try to use the PHONE option in iDrive I can't even get it to dial, maybe because the bluetooth connection is being used by the Android Auto ?
If I force my cellphone to forget the Android Auto BT connection and try to make my cellphone BT pair with the car (iDrive) instead it consistently finds the Android Auto BT connection and uses that instead......annoying.

I want to use my phone in the car ! Does anyone know how I can as well as answer the earlier post about the parking lines.

Thanks for looking !