BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-13-2023, 08:19 AM   #1
Wesley
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i

Used x5m preventive maintenance

Hi all,

After searching for a f15 diesel, I ended up buying a X5M F85 2018 from BMW, 110.000km. Sorry, not sorry. The car comes with a 2 years warranty, but still want the car to survive long.

Except from failing bearing rods, I dont come across a lot of problems. But still want to do some preventive maintenance like the gear box fluid and differential fluids.

I am wondering what the things are I should consider to chance/replace or monitor over the coming period of time.

Thanks for the replies in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 02:47 PM   #2
zeroping
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M (F85)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
Hi all,

After searching for a f15 diesel, I ended up buying a X5M F85 2018 from BMW, 110.000km. Sorry, not sorry. The car comes with a 2 years warranty, but still want the car to survive long.

Except from failing bearing rods, I dont come across a lot of problems. But still want to do some preventive maintenance like the gear box fluid and differential fluids.

I am wondering what the things are I should consider to chance/replace or monitor over the coming period of time.

Thanks for the replies in advance
I have had my 2018 for a bit over a year and have been pleased with the reliability. Common maintenance items besides oil changes includes spark plugs, ignition coils, engine air filters, drive-line fluids (front diff, transmission, transfer case, rear diff), and oil pump chain tension.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 09:03 PM   #3
kangfu84
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

I found this post that had a great list of things to keep up to date with in terms of F85 maintenance:

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1851701

I bought mine with 94k kms on it and have since done all fluids (front/rear diff, transfer case, transmission, coolant, intercooler fluid, power steering, brake fluid) since then as i wasnt 100% sure on its previous service history. Also changed out the rear air bags + compressor (the bags are prone to failure on these with around the same Kms) and front/rear pads changed to Powerstops as the OEM were squealing horribly) Been running great.

Plan on doing oil changes myself every 5k kms with LM 5w40.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 12:38 PM   #4
Wesley
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i

Thanks for the replies. Planning on doing the above stated things coming month.

As I have a 2 years warrenty, I am not sure if I can do “oil changes” etc myself. So will do all these things at BMW, so far they gave an approximate of 1200€ for front-rear differential and the gear box. The brake fluid was changed yesterday as the car gave the message it is due.

Regarding the remaining, the car was owned 2 years before by the owner of the BMW dealer itself, so guess maintenance is done properly

Also Good to know which Oil you use, as I read a lot of different opinions .
Appreciate 0